Moneyballer
Years ago

NBL players out of contract after this season?

Who's contract expires at the end of this year, the 36ers, and other big name players around the NBL.

Topic #33372 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers

Free agents: Ervin, Frye, Creek, Cadee, Teys

Player options: Petrie, Schenscher

Under contract for next season: Johnson, Gibson, Anthony

Reply #450247 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Ben Allen.

Reply #450253 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Jesse wagstaff

Reply #450254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings

Ogilvy,Madgen,Harvey,Hill,Carmouche,Young,Garlepp,
Allen,Weeks,White,

Coaches: Heal,Cotter,Hudson

Reply #450268 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

Throw the kitchen sink at Ogilvy and Young, scrap the rest of that average boring line up.
Bring back Julian Khazzouh and Anatoly Bose.
Hire a proven coach, like Perth and Adelaide did.

Reply #450272 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Basically the whole league will be free agents next season except that silly bloody 3 year contract for Shawn Redhage, I still don't get it

Reply #450291 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If I was building my dream roster:

Jamar Wilson (115k) / Cadee (70k)
Goulding (200k)/Demos (55k)
Blanchfield (80k)/Henry (50k)
Vukona (120k)/Conklin (80k)
Ogilvy (180k)/MacMillan (50k)

That lineup!

Reply #450305 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Throw the kitchen sink at Ogilvy and Young, scrap the rest of that average boring line up.
Bring back Julian Khazzouh and Anatoly Bose.
Hire a proven coach, like Perth and Adelaide did.

While I like the thinking, and love what Toly is capable of, truth be told he didn't seem too keen on living/working up to his potential... Plus it would either be him or Young and at the moment, while he still puts numbers on the board, Young still hasn't impressed me...

From the Kings FAs, I think Garlepp has deserved another go around, especially if his points remain fairly low... I know we got him for a bargain 4pts for his 2yr signing, but hopefully he's either got an option or drops down a point to a 6, he's definitely worth keeping. And you'd drop Madgen?! Surely that's a typo?

Might be too soon to discuss, but the fantasy at the moment, with who are FA or have options...

Damo (10)^ / Cadee (6)#
Madgen (10)[9?] / White (3)
Import (10) / Ellis (3)
Peach (8)[9?]* / Garlepp (7)[6?]
AJ (10) / Brandt (3)

Total: 70

That's based on this seasons numbers, [#] could be a possible re-rating for 14/15...

^ - This is the most fantasy option of all, but next season will be a big test for Damo and what was really keeping him at Perth... Was it Bevo? Was it the fantastic setup they've got, his teammates? You'd think that whoever signs him will get him for the max length and turnign 30 before season start, he'd be thinking long term, where he wants to settle down, etc... With his girl not having any local ties over there, now could be a good chance, as it's great seeing him catching up with family and friends after Kings games, maybe next time we host Perth we can get a big "Bring Damo 'Home'" campaign going? ;)

# - Not quite ready to run his own team yet, although if Damo isn't an option, having Cadee starting with a combo import guard to share ball handling would be ok... Another guy that would be great to see "come home" and would be great to add his ball handling and decent outside shot depth, especially compared to this season. I know he's got no ties to the Kings, but hopefully can sell the "home crowd" and maybe bringing someone with Western Sydney heritage into the fold might help strengthen the ties out that way and bring some more interest in and go a ways to making it a proper Sydney-wide team... That being said, if Cadee locks into Adelaide, Tomlinson would be another solid option... Not sure about his status, I thought he might have been a FA heading into this season but was already locked in with an option maybe... Lots of game time experience this season at the Tigers, developing his outside shot, currently "back home" for the Xmas break I assume, and the Sydney weather has been turning it on for him... Hopefully he gets some good Shire home cooking and has a think about what could be next season...

* - If we can get a local star PG, I'd take Peach over an import big any day of the week. Of course with his player option, it's likely that especially with how well Adelaide are travelling and how many mates he's got on the team and possibly being reluctant to move his family around again, might keep him in SA... But he's getting on but playing really well, and like Damo, shouldn't settle for anything less than a max deal with whoever he signs with... Sydney is closer to family and friends over here, he'd fit in great, would take a more major role and not be playing back seat to DJ or Big Red but would really compliment AJ and Tommy...

I think that lineup, while completely fantasy, is possible if both caps are in place next season IF the Kings are willing to do some hard work in recruiting. Depending on points movement, White, while I think deserving, is interchangeable for a 1pt shooter, Illiadis looked half decent in limited minutes in the Blitz... Has balance at all positions depending on the import, budget depending... AJ, Madge and Damo would take up most of the cap, with Peach following behind, Cadee and Garlepp wouldn't be super pricey and Ellis and Brandt on rookie deals... Madgen with this season and a full off-season (hopefully) under his belt and working with a proper PG would make it very dangerous...

Ok, I can get back to work and stop daydreaming now... lol...

Don't forget, VOTE WOOKIEE FOR KINGS GM! :D

Reply #450309 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Macdub - glad I'm not the only one in "next season team" mode ;)

Reply #450310 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would you be upset about a long-term deal with Redhage? He's still performing and has historically been underpaid.

Reply #450316 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Matt Knight's 3 year contract is more of a concern given his injury history.

Reply #450326 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends what they're paying.

In 2013, Knight averaged 14 and 7 in what was a strong year for him.

So far this season in just 6 games, he's averaging 10 and 6 in under 20 MPG. Almost 15 PPG in his last three games, still not playing more than 22 minutes in a game. And his team is easily top. Not far off career-best FG%.

Still pretty young at 28 years of age. Potentially about to enter his prime, going on the average for bigs.

Reply #450329 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

Damo would be great. You can build a team around him. He's a winner.
Cadee would be a great backup point guard.
Madgen was not a typo. Overrated in my opinion. 11 ppg at a low clip from the field and from 3. Forces everything! Plays selfishly. Not a good defender. He's a respectable 3rd or 4th option but I don't think that he sees himself as that. I don't think you can win with him as one of your main guys.
Garlepp, he hasn't made an impression on me either way, he's just out there. Surely there's a young college kid returning deserving of chance.
Kevin White, see Garlepp.
The only other guy I'm on the fence with is Carmouche, as a shooting guard!!!
I wouldn't take Petrie over Khazzouh.
An Ogilvy Khazzouh front court would be a force.
Fair point about Bose and Young, you would have to go with Young but Bose would be a great back up plan.
Don't know much about Ellis or Brandt.

Reply #450382 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Damo would just bring that winning mentality. Being able to go up against him every day in training would just make everyone better and that's just one of the things that he does that doesn't show up on the boxscores but makes him such a valuable commodity...

Madgen proved last season that he's capable of carrying a team, and I think that's what is driving him this season, he knows he can do it, but he's still not 100%. I don't think you can judge his output this season when the team itself is in such a mess after early on still carrying an injury... I agree that it would be a good if he was a bit more well rounded, but he lead the team in assists early on, so he's capable of it, and I think if the pressure is off and the team is more organised, he will be able to play his role better... Defensively, he's always had to work so hard at the other end, he got stuck last season guarding a lot of swingmen that were bigger than him, so he was always at a disadvantage... if we have a more legit option at the 3 and allow him to play his more natural position, I think he will flourish more...

As for Bose, I just got the impression that he didn't really want to work hard and was comfortable to just sit back on his natural talents, which was disappointing as he was very talented, but with some work could have really done something great...

Not sure how Jules and AJ could work together. You'd be having two 5s on the court most of the time (and neither of them are good enough man on man defenders to guard smaller more mobile 4s), and while I think they wouldn't step on each others toes too much, the fact that Jules would spend too much outside at times was never a good thing, but a better shooter than AJ (I can't recall AJ shooting too much from outside the key?) so in theory they could co-exist, I just think it's too far fetched... I'd love him back, but didn't Jules sign something like a 6yr deal over in Lebanon?

A front court rotation of AJ, Peach, Garlepp and Ellis (spending a bit of time at the 3 would be interesting, will have to see how his defence is), with Brandt (who just recently had a career high of 27p (10/15 FG) with 6r for Oregon State) backing up the 5 would be a great mix of hard working and being able to put points on the board... Solid team now and being able to build for the future... Having a legit back up 5 as well as more well rounded guard rotation are the two focuses...

Reply #450407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No points cap.

Reply #450413 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Wookiee - Jules & AJ worked together just fine in high school.

Reply #450426 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

If Madgen was not 100% he shouldn't have been out there. My thing lately with Madgen is his seemingly unwillingness to take a reduced role for the benefit of the team. No way he should be shooting the ball more than Ogilvy. If you want to win! He looked very frustrated and upset on TV against the Tigers a couple weeks ago because his shot wasn't dropping but we won that game off the back of Young. I think his nose is a little out of joint since Young's arrival. He strikes me as a guy who is more concerned with his own stats than somebody who does what it takes to win. Besides that, I don't think that he is overly talented, in Heal's system he is given a lot of opportunities and he is not efficient.

Reply #450430 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think Madgen just needs some time to adjust. For a while he's had no support around him and needed to make the big plays, then there was his injury and now he has good (better) players around him in AJ and Young. Would still benefit from a real PG being there though. Kings won't make any significant inroads until they swallow their pride and sort that one out.

Reply #450482 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

Agreed about the point guard situation. If we haven't heard anything over this break about a change then I doubt it will happen.
The scary thing is that if they did get a decent point guard (which Sanders was) we would be a, much much better team. All this off season halebalu for Gleeson and Armor and neither have hit the court.
A lot of excuses for Madgen, maybe that's a new generation thing, this hash tag age we live in. The guy is average compared to the standard of Kings guards I have come to expect over the years. Alarm bells ring for me when he's pushing 30 and only been around a few years. Management did him a major disservice by putting him on that anniversary team because all I have done is compare him to some of the guys he beat out to get on that 'team'.

Reply #450567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D444 - you could have 5 point guards in a team in high school and it would work.

Reply #450569 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754