Anonymous
Years ago

Should the Heat trade Bosh for Asik??

I have no inside knowledge and havnt seen a rumour, was just thinking how good the Heats line up would look if they traded Bosh for Asik.

It fits perfectly for both teams imo.

Bosh as a pf, who plays more on the outside hitting mid rangers, would fit nicely next to Howard.

Asik would give the Heat what they have lacked the last few years, and with Beasley doing fairly well i reckon he would do ok starting at PF or atleast splitting minutes with Lewis.

How do people think this line up would go

Asik/Andersen
Beasley/Lewis/Haslem
James/Battier
Wade/Allen
Chalmers/Cole

I personally think it would be awesome and would put them in a better position to compete with the bigger teams like the Pacers.

Will it happen, probably not, but if you were Heat GM would you want it to?

Topic #33374 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Nah, the whole concept of Miami's defense is scrambling and court coverage. Asik simply doesn't fit the mould.

He's a better offensive banger than Bosh, but Bosh's extended range means that he fits better into the team's offensive scheme as well.

Second, if it were to happen, Haslem would start and not Beasley.

If they are looking at the future though, go for it because the Heat stars are 1)getting a bit old and 2)may not be around next season, with Lebron an upcoming free agent.

Interesting discussion about the fillers though. Which team sweetens which? Bosh is not given the credit he deserves and is still an outstanding player (he just doesn't get the liberties that other teams would give him), but he's getting a little long in the tooth. Asik could become a dominant big man in the NBA quite soon. It's a toughy if you're looking at it like that.

Reply #450264 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

They have Greg Oden don't forget*

Reply #450267 | Report this post

The Cheese  
Years ago

Never break up a championship core.

That's the Cheese

Reply #450274 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Jesus you say "that's the cheese" a lot

Reply #450275 | Report this post

M  
Years ago

The only people happy with this trade would be Houston fans, Asik for Ryan Anderson makes a lot more sense when AD gets back

Reply #450277 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I'd like to see Bosh and Howard together. Would be the best frontcourt in the league no doubt! Legit championship contenders then.

Reply #450278 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Asik quit on his team and his trade value has already plummeted.

Not sure if it's just but the fact remains. He flat out quit on the rockets.

Dont get me wrong, Dwight Howard has the stranglehold on the prima donna big man figurehead but at least his injuries were real...

Reply #450285 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Houston would be winners in this trade

Reply #450286 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And asik with bosh would be amazing if you could make it work. Get morey to bite hard on some "sell-em-highs" that he always chomps on and throw in the draft picks that Miami doesn't need from now until lebron retires...such a beautiful geometry on both ends awaits...

Reply #450287 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You simply wont get market value for asik because everyone knows he wants out and also because he quit on his team. Morey is asking stupid returns for him right npq and he's getting fuck yous from everyone. Youll sooner see an asik bosh front court on south beach than in Texas.

Moneyball fail.

Reply #450288 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Here's the kicker, Mick... Lebron isn't finishing his career in Miami.

*MINDS BLOWN*

Reply #450289 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

Bosh - All Star
Asik - Not

Reply #450294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bosh all star in the past though may not be anymore.

Reply #450297 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Bosh would still be an allstar in the east if he wasn't playing with LBJ and Wade.

Reply #450313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess i was sort of wondering, not who is the better player, i agree its Bosh, but if Asik would be a better match up for guys like Hibbert and would the emergence of Beasley help cover for Bosh aswell if given a bigger role.

I guess i was sort of thinking is Asik/Beasley (with a larger role at the pf spot) better than Bosh at C, especially against teams like the Pacers.

But yea i tend to agree, that it is better to keep Bosh and not break up the championship core. The 'smaller' line up has worked for them against the Pacers and Spurs in the past and could easily continue to.

Reply #450314 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You lose the stretch shooting that Bosh brings though which helps space the floor for Lebron and Wade. Asik is the superior rim protector. Is Hibbert really that good offensively that you need to change your team to go up against him? I don't think so. He isn't exactly Shaquille O'Neal.

Reply #450315 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Well you kinda do need to change your team a little for him, Mick. The NBA is getting to the stage where teams are building their rosters to match up against just one or two teams because they know they're facing them later on in the season. That's the sole reason they brought in Oden.

If I'm Miami, I'm signing a few players to combat what Indiana put on the floor. Hibbert does and will further destroy the Heat with his constantly improving scoring and rebounding game.

I wouldn't be surprised if he drops 20 again today @Miami.

Will be very interesting seeing Oden later on this season, providing he does come back. I really hope he comes back.

Reply #450319 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

There's no way in hell Miami wold trade Bosh for Asik. Yes, Asik is a very good defender but he can't catch the ball and is a complete liability on offense. Bosh provides are far better overall skill level than Asik and is a fantastic 3rd scoring option behind LBJ & Wade. Beasley is a complete trainwreck, has never shown an ability to "get it"

Reply #450320 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't think Hibbert has that dominant mindset (or skillset) on the offensive end to demand it. I love what he brings to the table defensively, and he is arguably the best center in the game right now, but he's not going to single handedly destroy a team offensively like any number of centers from the 90s would.

I'd be more worried about how to score when Hibbert is in the game than worrying about how to stop him on the other end.

He is obviously still improving but I've seen him struggle to score on Shane Battier today...

Reply #450324 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha yeah I'm not watching but I can see from the statsheet that he's not having a good night so far.

But quite simply, look at what Hibbert did against Miami in last year's playoffs.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hibbero01/gamelog/2013/

Now, what has Miami done recruitment-wise to mitigate him? Evidently, the Miami board doesn't agree with you because they got in Greg Oden--an incredible defender (before the knee surgeries at least).

Agreed that they should also find ways to score against him and expose his lack of mobility, maybe even get him into foul trouble, but you just can't deny his offensive impact against the Miami club. Don't forget, he gets a lot of his points from second chances, not necessarily skilled offensive play. He averaged five offensive boards in the seven game series vs Miami last season. FIVE!!

Reply #450331 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Back on the Bosh/Asik thing. When they do meet Indiana later on, Bosh is one of the guys who will drag Hibbert away from the rim, whereas Asik is flat out making a 10 foot jumper consistently.

Reply #450332 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Mick, you assume that Asik's trade value has plummeted (for good reason), yet Houston have been receiving offers such as: Thaddeous Young, Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, Paul Millsap, or 1st round picks. Especially given the $15mil Asik is owed next season, I call that darn good value.

I reckon Asik will go to Boston, a third team (Cleveland?) will receive Green/Bass and Houston will receive a future 1st round pick unless Atlanta is willing to give up Paul Millsap.

Can't see Asik-Bosh happening at all.

Reply #450334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to see Green in Rockets colours, but I think Lee/Bass is a more likely outcome. Although Paul Millsap would be sweet not gonna happen. Lee would be a good addition, anyone who brings defence to the Rockets is a big +, and shoots the 3 ball at a decent clip

Reply #450343 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

People seem to forget, which team came the closest to beating Miami?.. the Spurs did. The Spurs did not have bashers inside like west and Hibbert. When you look at the four best teams in the NBA, the Spurs, Thunder, Heat and Indiana three of those teams like to play small ball. There's no need to trade Bosh just to match one team.

Reply #450363 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

Spurs not a threat. Only challenged the Heat in the finals bacause danny green was jacking up 3's and hitting 70%. Heat are sitting on Oden who could be huge.

Reply #450367 | Report this post

The Cheese  
Years ago

Bosh is the most underated big in the league. I don't think people understand his contribution to the Heat. His mobility, his flexibiliity and his ability to spread the lane with his mid range jumper. Also his ability to concede and allow Lebron and Wade to run the show. You wouldn't get these with another big.

That's the Cheese.

Reply #450368 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If you want to beat Indiana, you keep Bosh instead of trading for Asik, m.

The reason, in my opinion, that the Spurs pushed the Heat was the added offense. The ball moves faster than the man and the Spurs just had myriad shooters to space the floor.

The Spurs pretty much have a 'banger' in Duncan. See, 'banging' isn't a skill in itself, because (production-wise) it just means someone who operates and succeeds in scoring in the paint and rebounding. Just because Duncan doesn't have the shoulders and chest of a Dwight Howard, he is still very strong and has the skill set of a banger (paint scoring, efficiency, defense and rebounding) plus extended range and general finesse.

Have a look at Duncan's numbers from the finals last season in the link below:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01/gamelog/2013/

It's just that the Spurs were better than the Pacers offensively last season. Miami either had to play Duncan one on one, or crowd him and give up jumpers to terrific shooters--pick your poison. Throw in Parker's ability to get to the paint and play fantastically in any and every inch within 18 feet of the bucket, they would be tough for absolutely anyone.

With a healthy Oden, I do not see the Spurs troubling the Heat near as much as what they did last season. He is the fix. Plain and simple. Defending the paint was the deficiency last season. Asik and Oden would help account for last season's deficiencies, but if you give up Bosh, then the Heat are deficient in another area--floor spacing and P&R defense, which is just as important, depending on which team you face.

Reply #450369 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The Cheese's catch phrase really gets on my nerves for some reason.

Reply #450370 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

^But it's all good dude, do your thing haha

Reply #450371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's never going to happen because the salaries don't match with Asik's poison pill contract. And Miami aren't prepared to pay much luxury tax and I'm not sure LeBron and Dwayne took their pay cuts so Asik could be overpaid.

More importantly - what are my mighty Celtics doing winning basketball games? Could they just get on with tanking please...

- Bill Simmons

Reply #450376 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Spurs not a threat. They were SECONDS away from winning a title, and they weren't a threat?

Cool story bro.

Reply #450379 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And SS is dead right. The spurs pushed them because they can score.

People always say that winning in the playoffs is about "can you get consecutive stops when it counts in a big game".

But just as important is "can you get consecutive BUCKETS when it counts in a big game".

Outside of David West and maybe Lance Stephenson, I don't think the Pacers can. And for every big shot Lance hits he will do something dumb. Paul George, despite having a fantastic breakout season, is still a work-in-progress on offense. Don't get me wrong I love me some Pacers basketball but they still are very clunky on offense - Miami was like that too in there first two seasons together.

I don't see the Heat panicking.

Reply #450380 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

They were seconds from winning last finals - not a threat these finals - unless danny green can get up to 70% shooting on 3's again and set another record for 3's in a final. That was the difference.

Reply #450385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754