Anonymous
Years ago

SANFL signs with Channel 7

THE SANFL will return to commercial television for the first time since 1991 next season after signing a three-year deal with Channel Seven.

Negotiations about the timing of televised games and on which digital channels they will be shown are expected to be completed early in the new year.

The deal includes Eddie McGuire's media production company and is expected to cost the SANFL about $850,000 a season before sponsorship and advertising. But neither the league or Channel Seven would reveal details.

The ABC has been the SANFL's sole television broadcaster since 1991 and next year's return to a commercial network coincides with the competition expanding to 10 teams to include Crows and Power reserves sides.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/sanfl-returns-to-commercial-tv-in-2014-for-first-time-since-1991-after-signing-deal-with-channel-seven/story-fnii0294-1226786977720

Topic #33382 | Report this topic

skud  
Years ago

It shit's me that a second rate football league will now get better coverage than the premier basketball league in the country.
When a state competition is given more airtime than a national competition the tv networks need to support (hahaha) this countries sports.

Reply #450416 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im sure if the NBL paid $850K per state they could get some damn good coverage!

Reply #450418 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Definately a coup for the SANFL.Always wondered why B
ig V or Seabl don't do a show on community tv.

Reply #450422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how this is a coup - the live coverage on ABC without commercials is preferable to this.

Reply #450435 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Basketball aside, what I worry about with the SANFL and Seven is that they are going to show mostly the Crows and Power reserves teams, despite them saying it won't happen. Those two teams being in the SANFL were a big reason Seven wanted to get the broadcast rights in the first place after the ABC pulled out. If that did not happen, would Seven have cared?

I see in the article that they are already committed to showing the Crows and Power games on 4 May and 26 July. Won't that piss a few people off if those weekends also happen to have top of the table clashes not involving either team. And that is my point, its going to end up being more about those two teams than it will the other 8 SANFL teams.

Reply #450451 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754