Anonymous
Years ago

Country Players Rights

What is everybodies thought on how country players should be treated in metro teams in Adelaide.

Just recently I have heard that a certain club is not playing a 6ft7 U16 in div 1 as he can not train twice a week. Shoould clubs make that decision or be a bit more reasonable of the childs location and say that they must train at least once in the week they play for the club.

Topic #3340 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

6ft7, U16? I say "shop around". You'll easily find a club that will play you in Div1, give you and your family a Rolex each, free season tickets to the Power ..... the list goes on.

It's the old story. If at first you don't succeed ..... go somewhere else!

Reply #38513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#3340 I think you are shit stirring without being privy to any facts.

Reply #38516 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hell yeah, if this is a legit 'story' then whore yourself to the biggest spender. I'm sure there would be numerous clubs that are interested in a 6ft7 U16 player.

Reply #38544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He approached the club after state champ weekend which gave him/them their first game this last Friday.They were told by the club committee contact that at his height sight unseen he would probably be able to pick any club he desires.That person was obviously wrong as a previous approach to another club at easter time was told they had no vacancy.He is 6'6"and extremely raw.He is a second year and with what him and one other have been offered until the end of the season they are very happy with,so to infer otherwise is just stirring the pot.For the club that chased them at 4pm on Friday afternoon, they got a definite thanks but no thanks.
You also have to manage at this late stage in the season not to upset team dynamics etc etc etc.
I hope this clears up any misunderstandings that this kid is being given a raw deal

Reply #38549 | Report this post

MMango  
Years ago

Is it so important that this player has to play div 1? Being "so raw" would it harm him to play Div 2 get a feel for the game , then come few seasons he could fit in and play div 1.
Yeah great he's 6ft 7 but is it worthwhile having someone that tall but skills no that good , who in games would get 2-3 min and keep bench warm or play a lower div get plenty of minutes , improve skill and confidence, then be able to take the next step to a higher Div further down the track.
Most div 1-2 teams train together, so he'll still get exposure to training at a high level?

Reply #38591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that the club committee is the one that told him. I guess the div 1 coach does not have a say in this process. Since when does a committee make that decision. I hope a committee is going to make the subs on court as well, oh wait we need a time-out but lets have a meeting to discuss it first.

Reply #38637 | Report this post

gin giblet  
Years ago

yes - i agree - train with div 1 or 2 and start even with the 3s and move up - you must earn your stripes

how about the poor olds that get displaced ?

sturt have too many country girls in their u16 div 1s and it shows in their results - some have only been to 1 or 2 trainings

Reply #38651 | Report this post

Ha Ha  
Years ago

Gin Giblet,

Sturts result have been getting better and better as the season progressed after they settled their team.

Over the longweekend they beat Woodville by 20 and over State Champs were unlucky to miss out of top 4 after losing to Forestville who made the gf by about 6.

But why would you care??? Unless there are some sour grapoes you are eating!

Reply #38679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754