Nathan
Years ago

What do junior tryouts include?

Hi guys/girls
My 9yo son has been asked by the coach of The mandurah magic to goto try outs for the under 12s wabl team in madurah wa in February, he is a bit nervous about trying out against bigger kids and wants to know what they will be doing on the day? Anyone here ever been in wabl/mandurah wa tryouts?

Topic #33401 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nathan,
First of all re-assure your son he is not going up against kids that are much older than him. U12 means you can't turn 12 in either season so they should be 9 and 10 year olds. Secondly, congratulate your son on being asked to try out.

In relation to the tryouts, I am not sure of the season timing, but if it is the start of the season then there may be a mixture of new and existing kids. Mid-season, an opening has probably occurred in the team.

Tryouts vary from club to club but they may measure him up, test his fitness and test his ball handling/shooting/basketball skills.

Reply #450618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan, congratulations to your son.

Give him heaps of encouragement. It's an honour and a great opportunity for him

Reply #450622 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

Thanks guys trust me he has had heaps of praise heaped on him
I was so proud when we found out.

Reply #450629 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

Also it is not mid season it will be the start if a
New season.

Reply #450630 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I'd say they'll run some drills on fundamentals and then have scrimmage type play where they might give the players some focus points relating to the style of play for the season ahead (play man on man on d/zone d. reverse the ball before a score on offense)

Reply #450683 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

His fundamentals are very good, that's why he was asked to tryout so should be fine with that sort of thing, his fitness is great he makes the inter school sports and cross country carnivals every year. The biggest thing he will need to get a grip on is stealing and defending the ball when he has it as at his age in the local comp it's not allowed but he has been working on that all year anyway. I thinks he's more excited about tryouts then Xmas :) thanks guys.

Reply #450711 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

at 9 get sound fundamentals - shooting technique and encourage both sides - l and r dribbling passing etc

have coached a lot of older kids and it is so hard to teach better techniques when they have taught themselves in school yard / social games

Reply #450721 | Report this post

ahos  
Years ago

For what it is worth:

Ball skills plus general skill development. Waist wrap around etc.
Co-ordination skills. i.e stride stops & jump stops going into pivot.
Dribble skills leading into balanced shot stance.
Defensive slide technique, both long stride and short.
Oh bugger it, go out and enjoy what is being taught. Make a group of new friends and mum and dad stay out of constant criticism. Just encourage!!!

Reply #450812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754