LC
Years ago

Australian Development Camp Preview

2014 is a big year for Aussie basketball. Things get underway with the Australian Development Camp from 20-24 January for the U17 & U19 mens and women's teams.

Check out the list if attendees and a brief preview here: 2014 Australian Development Camp Preview

Topic #33410 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work. Love reading about our juniors.

I had no idea that Isaac Humphries has already been in camp with the Australian Boomers. Which Boomers camp did he attend?

Any idea if Exum will be available for the Boomers for the World Cup in August?

Reply #450780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be better reading with some accuracy included. U/17 boys are not that big, Isaac is 6'10" not 7ft, Will is probably 6'3" on court and Abi is about 6'4" or at a stretch 6'5" on court.

Otherwise, always nice to read some junior news.

Reply #450790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of "heightening" happens around basketball

Reply #450794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The article is actually quite accurate regarding height. I've seen these boys play a bunch of times, the heights seem about right

Reply #450795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The heightening is always self serving, particularly as a way of making your own kid seem taller

For example, has bobo grown! he must be over 6' 6" by now

Usually used when you kid is around bobo's height

Tell us agin how many times you've seen these kids play

Reply #450801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how about the fact that the China hoops camp measured Humphries at 6'11 and Adidas Nations measured him at 7'0

^^ get your facts straight before you go on a little tirade about how tall a kid is.

Nonetheless, great article. Love hearing about junior hoops news! :)

Reply #450802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear bobo has really grown this summer

Reply #450804 | Report this post

ahos  
Years ago

Sad fact BA is cutting funds on all junior basketball. Not a great deal of future for our kids unless they are already under the National spotlight.

College in the USA is the next best step for any kind of future.

Reply #450811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to agree with above post. A few years ago BA were doing all they could to discourage kids opting for the US College pathway. Now it seems to be the only viable option for most. There seems to have been some big changes in ideas at the top, no doubt driven by funding cuts. Haven't heard a word from KK, that's if she is still in the job, who'd know. We need someone interested in the sport with some passion to drive it, an American accent isn't enough.

Reply #450817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the USA pathway is an excellent choice for many of our young players. It opens up opportunities that may not have existed if they stayed here at home. It's unfortunate for some young players that they develop later and have the potential to be a player capable of NBL and WNBL but don't have the chance to do so because the focus always seems to be on a handful of players. My child played with some kids that had the focus on them, Aus camps, aus squads, AIS scholarships etc, who are now adults and going nowhere. So for those that are on the cusp and don't perhaps get identified as a "talent" the college pathway at least gives them the chance to continue to improve and play at a higher level than here at home. I think it's great for those that truly want to play and perhaps make a career.

Reply #450820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Will White even going to camp?

Reply #450835 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Have always preferred to see any junior with talent understand that hard work and a drive and passion for the game is what will get you there, not easy to fit 30 into 20.

Spots at the top of the pyramid are very few and I have also noticed that the dollar spent on basketball junior development here is so hard to find.

Agree, the college pathway can be a great option for those lucky enough to have the letters 'AIS' on their resume and for those who don't.

Effort has its own rewards, always has...

Reply #450837 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And now we have a pretty decent list of Aussie High School men complete with links to their AJC stats:

Aussie High School Prospects: Men

Reply #451088 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Not Daryl White , has had his chance and did not perform and has not ever performed at a National Level , his stats bear that out.
Will White is the real deal , i heard he declined and offer to attend the AIS and the lure of the AFL maybe too much to resist.

Reply #451102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice one LC, I wonder how often that list will be updated. I suspect in April and after the junior Nationals it would change and need an update at least every 4 to 6 months or so.

Reply #451104 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with you Anon - it will be updated for sure and alreayd has been today!

We have also now incorporated links to the players' home club too!

Aussie High School Prospects: Men - Updated 1-Jan-14

Reply #451143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where does a kid like Deng Adel or Thon Maker fit into this picture LC? Both are still in High School and if you are going by stats and prospectus they are high up on some people's lists.

Reply #451154 | Report this post

T-time  
Years ago

who on earth wrote that article? I coached at U16 AJC this year in Adelaide and I would substitute all of the Born 1998 players (apart from Humphries, White and Froling). There were far more talented players there then the rest

Reply #451161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ ooh looks like someone is a bit shitty because his players didn't get picked ;)

Reply #451212 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

In my opinion, LC did a decent job compiling this list. Nice way to promote some of our talent. Probably T. Maker and D. Adel should have been included but I guess this would depend on their past interests and impression they left on LC. D. Adel for example was a squad member for the last year nationals and then opted out.
Not sure how the bottom of the list was put together since did not see some of these kids. Based on the stats, personally I was not impressed. Yes they scored loads against weak opposition but nowhere to be found against the powerhouses.

Also about the height - LC, you can get in touch with many of these players and ask for an official measurement i.e. Aby and Jock are measured every month at the AIS, I know Jock is exactly 7'. Humphries is shorter by an inch or even 2 (check the pictures from the NZ series). Aby is at best 6'6 and Kyle is probably 6'7. What is presented on many sites may not be reliable.

Also Owies is not at the AIS.

Just wondering where you find this time, LC, to get all this info :)

Reply #451240 | Report this post

T-time  
Years ago

@Anonymous - not shitty at all, just disagree with the inclusion of the majority of players from the Born 1998 section. And, for the record, I'm not talking about my players. It's entirely unfair to name particular players I don't think should be in there, but if you look at the stats and against which teams the particular player got the stats, they'll support that conclusion.

For example, I'd include a few more players from the 2 Grand Final teams who racked up consistently good numbers against some of the better teams. And no, I didn't coach either of those teams - I just think they were obvious standouts and played an amazing grand final.

Reply #451245 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I love how anytime someone sticks up for juniors who don't make a side get slagged for being biased.

There are plenty of people who love the game and juniors who make it and watch a lot of junior rep ball who know what they are talking about.

I watched some of the championship but couldn't make an assessment on anyone but I know plenty of others who could.

Keep having an opinion T-Time.

Reply #451248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What stands out is the lack of Victorians for 1998 compared with the previous year. I realise the 1998 list is short and will no doubt expand, but all the same it does kind of raise an eye brow.

Reply #451252 | Report this post

T-time  
Years ago

@BMF Exactly. I've coached at the Championships the past 2 years and even judging entirely on the statistics from this years' in Adelaide, there are certain players on the Born 1998 list who should count themselves very lucky to be included. For example, just from looking at the stats I believe Makuach Maluach, Myles Cherry (NSWC), Adam Lulka (NSWM) and possibly 1 VICM player whose name I cannot find deserve a spot in the Camp as well as the list above. All 3 put up solid, consistent numbers against some really tough opposition. (Maluach's Grand final and cherrys semi final were both standouts for mine). And no, I don't coach a NSW team before someone accuses me of bias.

@Anonymous - also a good point. Having watched a few of the VICM games at the Championships they really lacked the superstars they had in previous years. Maybe with more development one will emerge from that team in years to come but perhaps worrying signs.

Reply #451261 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I can't take any credit for the list of HS players. It was someone else! Happy to take feedback and pass it on though.

Reply #451262 | Report this post

NBAvsAus  
Years ago

Just out of interest is Callum Barker (1996) really a 6'8 Guard or is that just a mistake on the list?

Reply #451265 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Sorry LC, thought it was you :) regardless a good effort and I guess a matter of opinion who are the emerging stars in younger age group.... seems the creator of the list is close to NSW players, but the list may crystallize after the nationals this year

Reply #451274 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Also C. Barker - the height about right but he played F/C last two nationals

Reply #451276 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

How could anyone from Tasmania get picked in an elite squad when the only team they could beat in the U16s was NT. I agree with T-Team the good teams may not have had a lot of stand outs but they had good basketballers, not individuals just putting on a scoring show. This kid may have scored a few, what do percentages and turnovers mean, or do we just encourage scoring?

Reply #451711 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, there is plenty to look at in the near future with the Aus' Junior Country Cup on next week in Albury/Wodonga for those country states and NZ participating.

What other junior events worth following are up before the Nationals in April, I am not aware of all of them?

The metro teams have a big tournament soon do they not? Also, no QLD or WA or NT in Albury, what are those state teams up to...?

Reply #451820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #451822 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

The Metro juniors are playing East Coast Challenge which started today, at Hills in Sydney.
East Coast Challenge involves U16 & U18's Men & Women.
Vic Metro (2 Teams)
NSW Metro (2 Teams)
SA (1 Teams)
ACT (1 Team)

Reply #451827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2014 Southern Cross Challenge (SCC)

The SCC tournament is being held at the State Basketball Centre, Wantirna South, Victoria from 17th - 20th January 2014. Teams competing include: Western Australia Metro, Western Australia Country, South Australia Metro, South Australia Country, ACT, Victoria Metro and Victoria Country.

2014 East Coast Challenge (ECC)

The 2014 ECC tournament is being held at the Hills Basketball Stadium (Fred Caterson Reserve), Castle Hill, NSW on 8th – 10th January 2014. Teams competing include: Victoria Metro, New South Wales Metro, ACT and South Australia Metro.

Reply #451849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://new.livestream.com/NBLlivestreaming/events/2675507

Cup of dreams

Reply #451928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try this site: http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3872-0-0-0&sID=155435

Reply #451929 | Report this post

T-time  
Years ago

Could not agree more with anon. It's almost as if the players in the top teams from U16 Nationals had to sacrifice spots in Aus Camps for the sake of having a shot at winning the tournament by sharing the ball and the scoring. Put any one of those kids from NSWC/NSWM in a Tasmanian or NT team and they could have put on a scoring show if they wanted to - but to the detriment of the teams fortunes. Perhaps if those kids knew that shooting % /turnovers were going to be irrelevant in selections then they would have put up 50 shots per game and averaged 20+ points. For me, the good, all round, un selfish players in the top teams weren't rewarded enough by being left out of the Aus camp.

Reply #451933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not just NSW teams T-time, there were a few of those in other teams too, especially Vic M and CVic teams.

Reply #451939 | Report this post

T-time  
Years ago

Yes certainly. Having coached a team that didn't finish near the top I think NSWM and NSWC were the two standout teams. But you're absolutely right in saying that VICC and VICM had some solid players who wouldn't be out of place at the Aus camp

Reply #451961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robert Colton? ACT? Limited I will take the whole Vic and NSW rosters over him

Reply #454355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would that be? Colton has loads of potential which is why he was an all star 8 in the Nike NBA camp in China.
Sounds like a jealous parent perhaps?

Reply #484294 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:41 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754