Anonymous
Years ago

Heal calls for games on Christmas Day

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-coach-shane-heal-says-nbl-should-break-new-ground-with-christmas-day-scheduling/story-fnii09gt-1226790064261

Thoughts?

Topic #33411 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another interesting article here:
http://downtownball.net/2013/12/nbl-play-christmas-day/

Reply #450781 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Copy the NBA as much as possible..

Crowds might not be great but the TV audience would be worth it IF it was marketed and not hidden on one at 10 at night.

Reply #450784 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

not interested at all - family day - don't forget nba may get good tv audience because Christmas day is various time zones around the world - so 7pm in LA maybe 26th here

Reply #450786 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Love the idea. One of the best suggestions that has ever come out of Heal's mouth & I'm not his biggest fan.

Reply #450787 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

At least everyone between say lunch and dinner sitting around will flick on the box and watch it.

Got to be better than the other stuff that is shown on a xmas day!

Reply #450788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as the players are not forced to wear those horrible god forsaken t-shirt tops the NBA have trialed.

Reply #450789 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I don't see Xmas day games working.

Reply #450792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's a great idea by Heal. A game during the day (very captive audience) and one at night too.

I don't know how exciting everyone elses X-mas days are but when I visit my dad's then mum's I and my brother are in agony at the shit on TV. My dad has Foxtel and we were sitting there watching world series poker for hours straight, 30 mins okay. Until the step-mum realised Ben-Hur was on one of the other channels, I was like "Krusty wants out!"

Yes not everyone is into basketball especially the NBL but it would be live sport vs the other garbage on, a huge captive audience who can't escape and would be great exposure for the NBL, even if it didn't get huge ratings it would at least remind a sizeable chunk of the population the NBL is still chugging along.

Reply #450796 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I don't like the idea much.I know for one my family doesn't watch TV on christmas day we are too busy catching up with each other and having a lot of laughs. Maybe shane isn't very close to his family and wants an excuse to get out of seeing them. What about the players, christmas is usually when they catch up with family.I think games on new years eve is a better time to have them go to a game then on to town after to continue celebrating.

Reply #450800 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Nah I wouldnt go, and itd be rude to watch it when you are meant to be having lunch dinner etc with other family who may not care about basketball. Boxing Day there is a market for those of us who loathe Cricket.

Reply #450803 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Not only is there a big captive audience, but not everyone celebrates xmas.

Love the idea.

Reply #450806 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Xmas Eve would rock!

Reply #450807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't say I have any spare time for TV on the day or to attend a game. If crowds were poor, would you really want that showing on TV?

Reply #450808 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Americans are inside Xmas Day because its cold! Australians aren't going to sit around watching tv in my opinion. Beach, backyards, pools, etc

Reply #450809 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

^ exactly. It would look bad. Plus i would doubt it would rate well with so much happening that day, which is probably why TV networks show re-runs all day and National Lampoon etc. I think with the NBA its more of an American tradition which is why its so succesful.

Reply #450810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every Christmas Heal makes this call.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/12/21/heal-the-nbl-should-play-on-christmas-day/

Reply #450814 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Christmas games won't attract BOTH reasonable game attendance and tv audience.

It's one thing to use the NBA as a prototype, but the NBL can't offer HEAT vs Lakers on Christmas Day. Apples and oranges...

Reply #450816 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

No

Reply #450831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane is an idiot/genius.
Have a 30min convo with the guy & you'll come away with either 1 of those opinions.
Idiot/genius... it's all in the interpretation.

Reply #450875 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Just sounds like Heal trying to get a headline-- Is he trying to be the Basketball version of Eddie?

Reply #450888 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754