Wildcat Fan
Years ago

Carfino and Rosen as commentators

I hope Steve Carfino and Brad Rosen had a good time last night chatting away all game. How about some actual commentating rather than reflecting too much on everything that happens.

Rosen is unbearable! Takes forever to make a point, and has a long winded comment about everything. I like his enthusiasm though (unlike Carfino who seems to wish he was someplace else), and has great potential to get better - but right now he is hard to listen to, and combined with Carfino's boring style its very hard to watch the NBL on Channel 10 without hurling my cup of tea at the TV!

Topic #33438 | Report this topic

David97  
Years ago

The thing I can't handle, being a Taipans fan, is they talk about the same things every game. Clint Steindl's athleticism and length, Fearne's ability to over perform and attract young talent.
Even though there are only a few teams, but seriously... you could script their commentary.

Reply #451321 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Dont forget about Steven Weighs potential

Reply #451324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfino is 10 years over due to find a new job. Its pretty sad really, he is probably the nicest guy you could meet, BUT he isnt very good at commentating a basketball game. Its important for the NBL to get these things right, a good commentary team can really set the drama alive in a Basketball game.

Reply #451327 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I agree completely! Its like each team has a generic profile that always gets re used every game. We get it. How about they do some research and come up with something new.

Weigh is 28 now isnt he? Carfino has been calling his potential for 4 years now...

Reply #451328 | Report this post

crusty  
Years ago

I totally agree with all said about Carfino. I totally enjoy listening to Sapwell on the Streeming channel.

Reply #451331 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont mind Tom King on the streaming either, he and Sapwell together would be a decent combo on Ten.

Reply #451332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring on Tom King!!

Reply #451333 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I can only assume Carfino is on a very low salary (for a sports commentator) as he wouldnt be in demand. Therefore its not worth his while to invest extra time into research and improving to become a better commentator. Low ratings for the NBL, hes on a contract, so why bother?

Im sure 10 and the NBL would love to dump Carfino and sign a better commentator such as a Stephen Quartermain for example, but im sure his asking price is too much to justify 10 doing it when only 30k are watching.

Reply #451334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not post your demo tape here Wildcat Fan. I am sure it will be faultless.

Reply #451336 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Well i havent been commentating for 20 years, so I doubt i would be anywhere near as good as Carfino. I will give Rosen a chance as hes new to commentating, and i do like his enthusiasm.

Im just a fan craving some long overdue better coverage, thats all.

Reply #451337 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Rosen definitely has potential to be good. Knows what he is talking about and has passion... Much better than the Calvin/Trevor Roberts duo up in Townsville - shocking

Reply #451338 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

Your not exactly going to find a Kevin Harlan, Marv Albert or even Mike Breen type out there to replace him though, so why bother?

Reply #451339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no problem with Carfino's bored rambling and frequent mistakes or Rosen's incessant nattering. I turn off the sound. I can see what's happening and do not need 2 bozos to tell me about it or add their often biased and sometimes just plain incorrect spin on what it is I'm seeing. Just to even it up though Wildcat Fan, I don't care much for the effusive Lachie and the dopey Bear in Perth either.

I think you hit the nail on the head that these guys work for peanuts so it's only to be expected we get monkeys.

Reply #451340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong attitude imo Coeezy. Got nothing to lose by giving someone new and fresh the exposure and experience to be better and eventually become the 'Harlan' of the NBL. Sticking with the same old mundane unprofessional garbage doesnt fit in with what the NBL is trying to get too in the next few years.

Reply #451344 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

From memory Carfino was ok as the secondary caller a few years ago on Fox Sports. He really struggles as a host and primary play-by-play caller though. Rosen I agree has potential but needs to calm down a bit. He seems to be almost brimming with anxiety as he over explains and over analyses every minute detail.

We obviously don't have someone like Kevin Harlan or Marv Albert, but the thing that separates them from our substandard callers isn't really their in depth knowledge or level or research, it's how concise they are. They don't fill every moment with meaningless blather, nor do they call every possession in detail. Their commentary complements the game coverage rather than dominating it with self-evident descriptions and over-analysis (If you can call what Carfino says analysis).

Reply #451348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe MM and BB could get a gig.

Reply #451353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wrong attitude imo Coeezy. Got nothing to lose by giving someone new and fresh the exposure and experience to be better and eventually become the 'Harlan' of the NBL. Sticking with the same old mundane unprofessional garbage doesnt fit in with what the NBL is trying to get too in the next few years."

What do you think Brad Rosen is?

Reply #451359 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

No problem with any of the commentary teams. They're usually good for a laugh and occasionally they add some value in terms of interpreting what's going on at a strategic level. As Anon says above, I can see what's going on so why listen to someone else describing it? It's just like being at the game and having an annoying spectator next to you reciting what's going on every play. I tune it out.

I don't pay much attention to commentators on most televised sports. The exceptions are stop-start sports with opportunities for true strategic analysis and commentary - cricket, gridiron, baseball, road and track cycling etc. Basketball, AFL, rugby and similar spend too much time with play-by-play and lack as many breaks and slow periods to have that exchange between informed and thoughtful commentators that provides insight into the contest as it's unfolding.

Reply #451361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maybe MM and BB could get a gig."

Did you hear Mcquade during the Blitz? He was almost losing his mind anytime someone put a jumper and when one would fall would scream "Gawt it!"

Rosen was a lot better during the Blitz too now on Ten just goes on and on about his Kings and what plays they try (and usually fail) to run.

He's okay but sick of him referring to the Kings as 'our', 'we' or 'us' and both he and Carfino continually going on about what Heal might be thinking with Shane this and Shane that.

Reply #451363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MM's gawdit is very annoying.BB introduces some colour commentary (pardon the pun)

Reply #451365 | Report this post

Manut Bol  
Years ago

What ever happened to john casey on fox a few years back? I dont mind carfino so much.. at least he has a good elevated voice when theres some excitement. Problem is there isn't much excitement going on at a lot of the games and it isn't easy filling in the time.
Much prefer him to the perth duo of lacky and bear with their constant banter and in jokes instead calling the game.

Reply #451369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez you want casey back and Carf and BR are no good.There is always one

Reply #451370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey was a reliable conveyance for delivering corny lines.

Reply #451372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought this exact same thing while watching.

Too much technical basketball talk. As a true fan I understood everything they were saying, but if you compare them to say AFL commentators, or NBA commentators there is a clear difference.

The top commentators tell you exactly what's happening, and they don't need to go on stupid tangents to fill space like these two obviously do.

Reply #451373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of curiosity, does any know who's calling the 36ers vs Breakers game? I don't mind them that much and I'm pretty sure it's not Steve Carfino, I'd recognise the voice.

Reply #451380 | Report this post

36Boggers  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more!! He is soooo unbearable to listen to! Even my wife said last night how annoying he was, he over-commentates everything. He has to go.

Reply #451383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well clearly all the critics over the years have made no difference to Carfino going. Carfs a survivor. He even pitched and got his own TV show there for a while on 10 didn't he?

Reply #451402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually think they are better than the Perth commentating duo. And it can't get worse than Brian Taylor a few years ago who had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. Like it's been said, we don't have much to choose from haha.

Reply #451463 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Glad it's not just me that can't stand Rosen/Barfs.

Rosen is intelligent enough, but way over-talks most things and quickly becomes intolerable. The Sydney games he's called with Barf have turned in to hand shandy parties, Kings this Kings that. Yes we know both of you played for the Kings, good on yas.

Someone made a valid point and acknowledged that even though there wouldn't be a larger budget to attract a better mainstay, something really needs to be done for the betterment of the league and presentation of games.

I like when Van Groningen has done a few games. Knowledgable and impartial, so you know you're never going to get BS tied to one team.

Bradtke I've actually liked also. He's not as polished, but he calls things as he sees them and you're always going to get a truthful insight/opinion. Unlike Gaze, who will never give you a straight answer on anything.

Don't mind the calls on the Cats games either. Lachie/Bear is it?

Maher/Joyce I could both happily go without.

Reply #451475 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I get that some people don't like Lachy Reid & Tony Ronaldson at Perth. They can have their moments where they are frustrating to listen to and probably joke around a bit too much at times. However I would take those two (especially Lachy Reid, who is a professional sports commentator in his own right) over Carfino any day of the week.

I love his passion for basketball. I know he's a "Wildcat person" at heart, but he also has a lot to say about the opposition and he knows his stuff considering he's not a former player or coach. In fact his background is football commentating I think, though basketball is a huge passion of his.

He may not be everyones preferred commentator, and thats fine, though I find his style to be engaging and entertaining. Ronaldson complements this nicely, and they have a good chemistry together. I think Lachy Reid also has the "non-basketball" audience in mind when he's commentating, so new fans can understand whats going on.

Agree with Mr Ben - JVG is another one I like and wish he called more games.

Reply #451478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachy's on the other side of the country. Won't / can't work for obvious reasons. All of the Carf knockers have to remember it's not a full time job.

Reply #451481 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Carfino was off his dial yesterday for the Tigers game. The start was riddled with mistakes.

Bradke, Gaze, Maher, Sapwell, etc.. Surely there is enough retired players in each state to pick up the coverage.

Reply #451557 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't mind Lachy Reid either. At least he's enthusiastic. Watching Tigers-Taipans, I kept switching back to the cricket. Was struggling to care with barely any players showing passion until Ballinger's fist pumps.

Reply #451575 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Once the new TV deal's done I'd rather see more focus on getting decent replays happening than the commentary. But for the record I think Jeff Van Groningen is the best commentator as he speaks well, has good knowledge both technically and for the layman and is also very neutral in his call.

Reply #451581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed JVG shits all over every other basketball commentator in this country.

Reply #451602 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

It could be worse, we could get Brian Taylor. He did a few games and he was awful.

Reply #451848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brian Taylor & Dwayne Russell did a whole season (2009/10) the last one on Fox.

Reply #451856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and never seen again.....

Reply #451863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG is boring

Reply #451867 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell was good, BT not, although at least he was enthusiastic, he at least ticked that box.

Reply #451870 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I agree with you said about Carfino.

Reply #452206 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Jesus Christ, imagine giving BT the call at a Wildcats game. His go-to exclamation of WOWEEE would make me wish Ennis didn't even know how to throw it down. I mean, I know we get that crap from Lachy Reid but BT's guttural offering...jeez. Sorta works in AFL though. You'd probably even take the Matt McQuade "Ennis going up for the one-handed dunk shot. Gawt it!" Over BT's "woweee"

Reply #452210 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I once knew someone who would always listen to the first few sentences somebody spoke, then always say."You're a genius."
One time he met Carfino who began to speak about a certain players potential.
Later, Carfino was in a little bit of excitement and he said to Rosen."I been told I'm a genius!"

Reply #452779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a part time job who really cares seriously

Reply #452804 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Rejoice, O Radeladians, for The Carfino hath tipped thee for the Championship!

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/1l3nkh4wvtsri15c2mwzb81cv2

Be inspired or alarmed at your discretion.

Reply #452806 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Who cares? People that care about the game's growth will.

The TV aspect of the NBL's rebuilding phase is one of the most important to get right. At the moment its failing with low ratings and an uninspiring coverage. Who can help lift that? A good commentary team for a start.

Being a part time job shouldn't be relevant.

Reply #452808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't rate because no one cares. The true fan will of course care but the TV viewing audience has things like cricket and tennis to watch. Maybe go to the beach, the holiday home, the shack, take the kids out on their extended holiday time. Anything but watch basketball on TV.
Commentators won't make the watch one iota. get over it. if you don't like them either do the job yourself and see how much criticism YOU then get or turn the volume down.

Reply #452809 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

To suggest something can't achieve better ratings with better promotion and providing a better experience for those watching seems off the mark.

If someone doesn't care and switches over, is uninspiring commentary that sounds bored likely to keep them on the channel to develop a liking for the product? I doubt it.

The old saying goes "it's the little things that count" and the NBL broadcast doesn't get many little things right.

That's why you get the situation semi-regularly with the NBL where more people in a city are attending the game than watching, and as far as I know that's not the case with other national sporting leagues.

Reply #452810 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The commentating, among a myriad of other things, does matter. All of those other alternatives (shack, etc) work against every other sport, but they offer a more polished package. And commentating is part of that.

Reply #452811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentators CAN make a massive difference take Phil Ligget out of cycling and try make 50 blokes riding a bike for a few hundred kilometers exciting

Reply #452818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we don't like carfino, rosen, JVG, Casey,BT, Lachie, Leroy, Cal, Calvin, Trevor Roberts, MM, BB, DR, Gaze and more. I wonder where there problem really is or who indeed is the answer.
I am sure if Channel 10 didn't like Carfino all those years ago he still wouldn't be here today.
I watch the sport of basketball and cycling and I hate all the Ch9 cricket commentators.
If you are a new viewer
to a new TV sport how the hell would you know anyway who is good or bad anyway?

Reply #452820 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Its very subjective really and is all a matter of who you prefer. Personally, I like Gaze, but don't like Carfino. There might be people who like both, or don't like Gaze, but prefer Carfino, or maybe even hate both!

The general feeling on this forum is that Carfino is not very popular in A) enticing new fans (eg being exciting, and making the game understandable to new followers, which I feel he doesn't do) and B) keeping old fans happy (constant little mistakes, telling the same scenario over (eg Weigh's potential)) things like that, which frustrates me and no doubt others.

To people saying I should give it a go and see how I do - then of course I would be up for criticism, which is fair enough. No doubt I would suck at it too, given my fear of public speaking, and shyness of being in front of a camera :) But then, I'm not a pro at this, where some people are, and therefore warrant a bit of criticism.

Reply #452825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If somebody is paid to do a job then they should be prepared to accept criticism if they do not do it properly.

Reply #452827 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, no majority criticised JVG, Casey or Lachie. Rosen is suggested to calm down a bit and Carfino fire up. That's pretty easy feedback in each case.

And of course fans new to the sport could get a vibe from Carfino - it's the first thing they'd notice.

Reply #452830 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's not so much that new viewers would be able to assess the quality of Carfino's commentary, as that they might make the mistake of listening to him when he goes on and on about how terrible the game is.

Reply #452832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe everyone should take up a petition and tell Ch10 that despite Carfino being their preferred choice over many seasons now, they clearly know nothing.

Reply #452833 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They won't care.

Reply #452838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the NBL would get a quicker result paying Carfino for some sort of role that reinvigorates him, and that requires a bit more time spent following all results, keeping up on all players, adding some diversity to his commentary, etc. That is assuming they don't have some existing direct link with him and can provide an increased incentive for him to step up.

I don't mind some of his silly moments if he's at his enthusiastic best. He used to do a good job narrating the top ten plays of the week, for example. But I imagine that the broadcaster having cut back the role (including finding no involvement for Mark Slocombe doing stats) might have knocked the wind out.

Reply #452844 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:34 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754