Isaac
Years ago

Deng to Cavs for Bynum and picks

The Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed to trade Andrew Bynum and a draft pick to the Chicago Bulls for forward Luol Deng, sources told ESPN.com.

The deal is expected to be completed on Tuesday morning when the teams have a conference call with the league office.

Bynum is expected to be released by 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the second half of his $12.3 million contract becomes guaranteed.

The deal will save the Bulls more than $15 million in salary and luxury taxes, taking them below the salary-cap threshold. In addition, the Cavs will send the Bulls a first round pick owed to them by the Sacramento Kings that is top 10 protected in the next two drafts.
Article on ESPN

Bulls were not likely to be able to offer Deng the deal he'd want and many wouldn't see him staying in Cleveland either, making it a few months of Deng plus getting rid of Bynum. Few picks involved too.
Cavs send Andrew Bynum's expiring deal to Chicago along with the Kings' future 1st rounder from the Omri Casspi trade, two second rounders from Portland in 2015, and the right to swap 1st round picks with the Cavs in 2015 (Top 14 protected).
Bulls also reported to be planning to amnesty Boozer and clear loads of cap space.

Topic #33455 | Report this topic

m  
Years ago

So Noah or Boozer next?

Reply #451717 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Would Noah and Bynum work?

Reply #451718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boozer and Bynum are gone too.

Tanking for next year.

Reply #451719 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't imagine they'd dump Noah. Keep him and Rose plus Butler/etc and build with the picks.

Reply #451720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Bulls fan, im sad to lose Deng, but can sorta see why they did it as he was likely to leave and they save alot of money.

With Bynum likely to be waived by the Bulls, does anyone think the Heat would try and sign him on min for the rest of the season, and bring him off the bench especially against teams like Spurs and Pacers?

Reply #451728 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Bulls would never amnesty Noah.

Long-term: these moves should be beneficial. Right now I'm feeling for Bulls fans, though.

Reply #451730 | Report this post

GD  
Years ago

As a Bulls fan I'm sad to see Deng go as he is a genuine pro and he has been a really good player for a long time.

That said trading him was absolutely the right move. He was never going to resign for what the Bulls would be willing to pay, so rather than losing him for nothing they've pushed themselves close to under the Tax threshold (because they will amnesty Bynum - he won't play a game for the club), and gained cap flexibility and future assets for this offseason.

I could even see them trying to dump Dunleavy for expiring scrubs or a 2nd round pick.

As for Noah, yeah he's not going anywhere. One of the best 5s in the league on a bargain contract..

I expect the Bulls will now build around their core of Noah, Butler, Gibson and (hopefully) Rose with Nikola Mirotic from Europe, hopefully a high pick (make no mistake, the Bulls will stink without Deng), and a midround pick from the Bobcats.

Reply #451734 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Rose, Butler, 2014 high draft pick (the draft is awash with swingmen), Boozer, Noah ..... plus Sacramento's 2014 pick, Mrotic, Gibson ..... plus we're now under the salary cap.

As much as I hate to see Deng go - loyal soldier and a class act - the Bulls are back. Wahoo.

Reply #451739 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Good for Delly as Cavs instantly become a playoff team with Deng.

6th seed is not out of the question even with the slow start such is the East.

Reply #451740 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

.... and if Charlotte keep winning, the Bulls get their pick too. The NBA - I love this game.

Reply #451742 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

They are going for local boy Jabari...

Reply #451749 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Boozer is one of the most underratedly bad contracts out there...

He's tough...but then he only wants yo shoot 15 ft jumpers.

Isnt this guy only David west's age? Yet he's playing like KG at age 38 and has been for years. Why wasn't he amnestied as soon as the provision was ushered in under the new cba?

Reply #451750 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And the cavs are a terrible franchise, it is worth noting. Just terrible.

Reply #451751 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Sacramento pick is top 12 protected, so they most likely won't get it. It's basically a salary dump and the Cavs got Deng for 2 2nd rounders

Reply #451757 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Great deal for the Cavs, they will definitely make the playoffs now I think. Deng is perfect for them

Reply #451758 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I don't know if it's enough to get the Cavs into the playoffs but getting rid of Bynum is a good move

Reply #451764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like this deal might be the best for the Heat. Bynum gets traded to Chicago, will be waived before the Tuesday deadline and then probably signed by the Heat for the pro-minimum for this season since he has already been paid by the waivers.

Bynum is a head case, but can play and could be the final piece to another championship.

Also - not sure how the move is good for Delly. With Deng playing SF, they will run less of the 3 guard offence with Miles or Waiters playing the SF which was where Delly was getting minutes playing alongside Kyrie or Jack. That said he has worked his as off to (a) get a roster spot and (b) get in the rotation, so I don't think the trade will worry him too much. And with Deng, they are more likely to make play offs, Delly might just have to learn the towel wave from Patty.

Reply #451804 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Tough call, but as a Bulls fan, it needed to be done. As said before, Deng had stalled negotiations and wanted more...he had to go. Bulls will be miles under the cap, and now get to see Snell develop into their new 3 man.

Pity though as they were just making a push in the seedings.

Waive Boozehound, bring over Mirotic, healthy Rose and here we go..

Reply #451813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754