Max Power
Years ago

Favourite ever 36ers player

Hey All,

Just wondering who you guys consider your fav ever Sixers player?

Mine personally would have to be Kevin Brooks and Julius Hodge, I know we all hate Hodge but while he was here I really enjoyed watching him play. I was amazed a guy with no jump shot could be as dominant.

As you can tell I like guys with personality, guys who get the crowd into it.

I have many Sixers over the years I have loved watching but these 2 were my faves....who were yours?

Topic #33456 | Report this topic

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Having grown watching the 36ers since the mid-1980s, I'd have to say Mark Davis.

And I was always a fan of Bill Jones.

Reply #451761 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

#5.

Reply #451762 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Mark Davis

Reply #451763 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

As a young 36er fan it was Willie Farley. But having met Mark Davis, he takes out the honour for me: a great guy in addition to being a dominant player in his time.

Reply #451765 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

Davis then Maher

Reply #451773 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maher. As an opposition supporter he was like a killer koala, you had to love him but he would rip your team's throat out!

Reply #451776 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Mark Davis

Reply #451800 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

As a Wildcats fan, my favourite Sixer was Martin Catallini. Even though I loved him more at Perth. He probably played his best basketball when he was at Adelaide and while I hated that whole situation at the time, looking back now he was great for them.

Kevin Brooks is another favourite as is Darnell Mee - for the rivalries they had with Vlahov and Grace.

And Phil Smyth, going back a few years earlier.

Reply #451812 | Report this post

Dasson Maid  
Years ago

Kevin Brooks

Reply #451823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I started watching in the mid 90s, my favs are Rob Rose, KB, Farley, Maher, Ervin and Hodge (not taking into account his attitude/the way it ended in this case, he was still my fav to watch while we had him)

If i had to pick 1, id say Maher, longevity, captain of 3 titles.

Reply #451828 | Report this post

AHOS  
Years ago

For entertainment Butch Hayes was fun. Mark Davis was the Blue Collar work horse. Al Green as the athlete. As the Aussie, can't go past Brett Maher, though enjoyed watching Peter Ali play as the muscle in the key in the early days.

Reply #451833 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

I grew up a huge Daryl 'IceMan' Pearce fan. He's 3 point shooting in Apollo Stadium had the place rocking.

Later in time progressed in to Senior Men's District Basketball & had many occasions where I guarded the 'IceMan' when he was playing for FVille. I quickly found out how he got so open coming off screens, he elbowed me in the mouth (just prior to coming off the stager screen) & I lost 2 teeth!

Reply #451836 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Benny Anthony JR

Reply #451852 | Report this post

Wound  
Years ago

Tough one! KB, Davis, Mee. Closely followed by Jason Williams.

Reply #451853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Christopherson ;)

I always liked Chris Blakemore & David Robinson but yeah Brett Maher.

Reply #451857 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Mee, Wheels, KB, Maher, Davis, Rose, Sapwell.

Reply #451864 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Darnell Mee - some of his defensive plays left me gobsmacked and I could not get enough of watching him play.

Brett Maher - I enjoyed watching him play from his very first game for the 36ers and always hoped he'd get more court time. Eventually he got it and proved what a phenomenal talent he had, as well as the ability to realise it in consistently outstanding performances over his whole career.

Peter Ali - when I first started going to 36ers' games, knowing nothing about basketball, he was the player I liked to watch. He did so many things unobtrusively and was so tough.

Robert Rose - what can I say. An extraordinary NBL player and his two seasons for the 36ers were great. Watching him go coast to coast for the buzzer beater was a highlight and that's just one of a bunch in a 36ers' singlet.

Bill Jones - I was really glad he found a home at Newcastle after the 36ers' dropped him. How he played there showed what a strong team player he'd been in the 36ers' '85 and '86 teams. I'm forever grateful for his last second tip in that kept the home winning streak alive in 1986 - against Geelong. That was an adrenaline rush!

Reply #451874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ, MD, Al Peekaboo Green, BM.

Reply #451876 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

not enough love for Cattalini in this discussion. He was soo much better than people remember

Brett Maher the best though

Reply #451878 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Brett Maher Without Doubt...Legend!!!

Reply #451881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have more than one, can't choose! - Darryl Pearce, and Brett Maher. Current players - Adam Gibson and Gary Ervin.

Reply #451891 | Report this post

carcus mamby  
Years ago

As a young follower I'd say Ng for sure. Wish he was still on the court and not on the bench. Then it has to be rob rose

Reply #451895 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Maher followed by Farley.
Loved Farley in the defensive crouch with arms waving to pump up the crowd after he had just done something awesome.
Darryl Pearce..
Loved Big Paul Rees and the way he started a bit of biffo and then pretended he had nothing to do with it.

Reply #451910 | Report this post

Manut Bol  
Years ago

Mark Davis! Best triceps in the history of the league

Reply #451920 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

#5, then #6, then #9, then #33

Reply #451921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Panther

Reply #451975 | Report this post

Lt44  
Years ago

LT 44 - the human highlight reel Leon Trimmingham

Reply #452051 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Brett Maher and Mark Davis win hands down, but some of the players I have liked along the way. (current players excluded)

Mike McKay - He was the rock on which many victories were built
Scott Ninnis - Could his shorts get any tighter?
Darren Ng - The smartest man to don the singlet. Raises the average IQ by 5.
Paul Rees - Lowers that average IQ by 5.
Al Green - Say no more.
Brad Davidson
Erik Burdon - favourite DP

Some notable mentions on a few "low gamers"
Mark Lampshire - I was taught by his wife in primary school in the year they got married I think.
Troy De Vries - Injury robbed him and the Sixers
Julius - Like a crazy ex GF, it was great when it was good, bad when it was bad

Reply #452057 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Davis, Mee, Maher.

Reply #452067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loved Al Green with the Bearcats and then the early 36ers days.
Davis
Farley
Mee & Rose - Both silky, sublime and all class but only negative was at times they could slightly annoy me whining at the refs.
Cat
Blakemore's early days
Ali, Wood & McKay back in the day.
Jerry!! ;-)

Reply #452116 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Mark Davis

Reply #452204 | Report this post

Mark Davis.

He set the winning culture benchmark that we all still measure the Sixers by. That's why Sixer fans hate losing so much - we didn't know what it was when he was around.

Or Charles Thomas.

Reply #452232 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

Brett Maher. Need I say more?

Reply #452272 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Maher 1st.

Davis, Rose, Mee tied for 2nd.

Reply #452278 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754