Grovermi$ter
Years ago

Boti suggests mid-week games, smaller venues, TV-oriented

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/crystal-ballin---part-1-/

interesting idea...

why should all teams have to play out of small venues...

surely if teams can pack there current venues (Perth/Breakers and at the current rate Adelaide..) they should be exempt from having to play at smaller venues...

but it is another good idea to float around those in HQ...

Topic #33463 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, definitely elements in there that are worth considering. And let's face it, no one person is going to come up with a complete package that's perfect.

I definitely think the mix of small and large venues (like Melboune and NZ currently have) is the way to go so the season can be shortened, which will then appeal more to TV.

Reply #451931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Venues will be smaller sooner rather than later.

Reply #451932 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

The 36ers will never play anywhere else than there current venue... (in the foreseable future anyway and perth wont move, neither melbourne except margaret court arena next year, ditto new zealand...)

other temas i understnad the $$$ sense and as per the article it does open up the door for smaller capacity venues with less operating dollars to open up... so a return of teams in canberra/hobart/newcastle etc is viable...

mid week games starting at a respectable time during school holidays is a great idea... so long as the mid week games are only schduled during the christmas/new year period...

more ideas the better imo...

Reply #451934 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure if smaller venues really need to be part of that equation, especially if scheduling might be less of an issue with fewer weekend games.

No drama with having a burst of mid-week games in January if fans are keen.

Smaller venues could work for the two league idea where the superset of teams play a normallish season in smaller stadia where appropriate and then the big market teams play their super-comp in a condensed season at another time.

Not sure how Wollongong/etc are going to arrest their crowd slide.

Reply #451946 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Boti is a clown

Reply #451950 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

alexkrad,

presuming you are baiting...

but...

he is probably the most knowlegable basketball sports writer in the country...

yes can be controversial and have some wacky ideas etc but a clown...

hmmmm... ok

Reply #451952 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Big market teams and a super-comp! Now, I would like to see that Isaac...

Reply #451958 | Report this post

lightning went down that path - and it worked whilst the original stakeholders were all buying in but once they moved on it died a natural death.

whilst crowds / investment allow it to keep it's head above water - i would leave it.

need to have the big games on TV

Reply #451960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks supposed to be gone next season. Crocs maybe as well. Adel crwods someone said just breaking even despite high player budget. New teams in new venues even if smaller in a hurry.

Reply #451964 | Report this post

Dasson Maid  
Years ago

Aren't Hawks meant to be gone every year?

Reply #451966 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dasson, seen their crowds recently? I know they're supposedly counting accurately as opposed to past years, but they aren't exactly rising aggressively. And the team is playing much better recently, enough that they should've been top four.

Reply #451970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Crocs 2015 season is a 50/50 right now

Reply #451973 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

NRE has gone under recently, So looks like the Hawks biggest issue going forward is a naming sponsor. That will break their back more than anything.

Crowd figures have been dangerously low this season, i'm not sure why. Most games have had scheduling clashes but still should get around 3k at least. Past few games have been 2-2.2!

I'm all for smaller venues, I know a number of coaches/GMs are as well. But there are a lot of other issues apart from less tickets being sold in smaller venues..

-Merch stalls
-Food & drink stalls
-Accessibility for TV production
-Media/scoring benches

Teams take % of profits from stalls, smaller venues means less or some cases no stalls.

TV production. Not all venues are set up for broadcasts, would need to spend more $ to modify venues.

It's not 1994 anymore. The benches have a heap of people doing live stats (although you'd think it was just 1 drunk monkey at times - it isn't.), media people etc. Some venues have very small benches that have limited internet access and limited seating. More modifications would need to be done which means more money ofcourse.

Reply #451992 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wow, didn't know NRE went under.

Reply #451997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nre got a bail out package didn't they. Either way they will probably cu their sponsorship.

Reply #452000 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Not sure how much I can disclose because they're a client at my work place but yeah, gone.

Gujarat hasn't been to a game for a while.. Maybe all season. Previously he went to pretty much every game, or at least his family did.

Reply #452011 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I wish Boti ran the NBL. He has some really great ideas!

Reply #452013 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I was surprised at the number of Woolongong Uni students I have spoken to that go to games. I wonder if Winter is better for the Gong then, with less uni holidays where those students all return home.

Reply #452043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where will they go next season?

Reply #452047 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

I asked Boti if he considered running the NBL or sitting on the board he said no as he wouldnt have the same freedom he currently does...

and why stop what you love doing just for a few extra dollars too...

you could only imagine how restrictive sitting on a board would be... especially one with limited funds... would eb very frustrating indeed!

Reply #452072 | Report this post

TrueFact  
Years ago

natwhereyouat - not sure where you are getting your information.

Gujarat NRE new head was front row at the WIN against Perth last Saturday and seemed to be loving the whole experience from beginning to end.

Also they haven't gone under - the new majority shareholder has been navigating the company out of trouble with current media on this over the last 2 days.

Hawks will be just fine!

Reply #452073 | Report this post

TrueFact  
Years ago

Also I think you will find that the Hawks are now reporting true figures for attendance after it was discovered these were being drastically increased in past years.

The crowds have been this year:
Game 1: 2555
Game 2: 2132
Game 3: 2171
Game 4: 2224
Game 5: 2633
Game 6: 2134

In 2012/13 season the real (not inflated) season average crowd was 2,600.

Also their GM came out recently advising that correct door attendance data from the venue shows that the average (without finals) is around 2,500 each year for the past 9 years.

They have got a lot of work to do to fill a 5,800 Stadium.

Reply #452080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit like the Adel crowds really either possibly breaking even or losing money on venue hire.

Reply #452085 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Latest on Gujarat NRE is at http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2014641/bank-deals-boost-gujarats-finances/?cs=300

No mention of the Hawks and sponsorship but it seems they have negotiated terms with banks to give themselves a chance to trade out of trouble.

Reply #452160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754