billo
Years ago

Dwyane Wade taking the piss on a 7 step travel

This is just ridiculous, it's like he's doing it deliberately just to see what he can get away with.

Topic #33466 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Nice. Right up there with this double dribble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAPAV0ComE

Reply #451981 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

ha ha how was that missed

Reply #451984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many steps are you allowed again?

Reply #451991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL! Outstanding!

Reply #451993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only in the NBA...

Reply #452002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No advantage gained on the play though.

Reply #452003 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I've never agreed with the way the NBA has called the travel. There much too loose on it. FIBA in my opinion, interpretation is alot better. They would of never allowed the Ray Allen three pointer in the NBA Finals, if they were officiating it.

The travel in the NBA has been happening for years. I remember when Steve Carfino hosting a basketball show for Channel 10 in 1994, was asked if a slam dunk from Shawn Kemp was a travel. He showed the replay and pointed out that Kemp took three steps.
He then suggested that the NBA refs will let that go, if it meant there was highlight play behind it.

For the record the way Australian refs call a travel- is on par with the standard that FIBA sets. Although this has been also criticized by Chris Anstey, after he played in the NBA. Suggesting he thought the NBA's interpretation of letting players getting with an extra half a step was better.

Reply #452014 | Report this post

Alabama Slamma  
Years ago

Unless he gains an advantage from stepping let it go.

Quit crying guys or stop watching and look at the boring euroleague!

Reply #452020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

First place NBL should be lenient is the spin move and first step on a move to the basket. Giving the offence (at both ends) an advantage won't hurt the game. That and the slight out of bounds on the sideline always kill flow.

Reply #452037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac the spin move unfortunately is now dead, local and state leagues it is called as an automatic travel now without even looking at the players foot work. It`s a shame given it was a skill that was taught to juniors in the past, now there is no point them even bothering with it.

Reply #452070 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The NBL has to make the gather step a point of emphasis.

It's not a travel if the ball comes into the hands when they are halfway through the first step and then take two. It's a gather.

It ruins so many good plays.

Reply #452094 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Furthering on the gather step, the count only starts when the ball touches the hand, so players can take five steps between dribbles and it still won't be a travel. Kevin Durant is one guy who does this extremely well--he gets from halfway to the rim in two dribbles easily.

Reply #452096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought the spin move was called in past seasons but had been let go more recently?

Reply #452097 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The lack of gather step allowance simply prevents plays from happening more than it ruins them.

Reply #452101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know over here in the BIG V from Refs I have spoken to and a number of them do SEABL as well they are told to call it as soon as a player does it, without even looking to see if the feet shuffle.

Sad its a great move to see when someone can split a defender or two with the great spin.

Reply #452111 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Firstly, that clip is so funny it makes me cry, yes of course he is testing out the officials, but the NBA is all about the show and always will be.

Nonetheless the officials got it all wrong and if it wasn't a super star player, say it was Delly or some other rookie, what would have been called, no drama at all...

Secondly, the best officials here understand how to let half a step extra go, especially during a correctly performed spin move or a gather to the basket.

When they let these things go it really makes a game watchable and allows players to do what they are trained to do as well as what their body allows them to do. It isn't netball and injury risk must also be part of the equasion when we consider the skill level needed in these circumstances of quick movement and balance.

Unfortunately there are too few officials capable or willing enough to make the game watchable!

IMHO...

Reply #452117 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754