Steve
Years ago

State of Origin for NBL?

Has anyone ever suggested a state of origin type concept for the NBL. The all star thing has never been very successful IMO. ? Any thought or ideas?

Topic #33472 | Report this topic

bowtie  
Years ago

I've been mentioning that on forums for couple of years but little or no comment.
Players would love it much more than the All Star thing.Got that from some of the current NBL guys.
Those I've asked have said they really remember their old State team days...Vic vs everyone else.
Would be tricky to pick teams/elegibility. Where would get the best crowds? Perth and Melbourne by far.

Reply #452029 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

I think eligibility should be where you play your first senior game. I think QLD and wa would be fairy competitive as well.

Reply #452035 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I always knew QLD and WA were full of Fairies!

Reply #452038 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Fairly??

Reply #452041 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

With 8 states and territories and only 8 teams (plus NZ) in the league the player pool is too small for a full on State of Origin to work.

That means you start combining states and territories e.g.
WA/SA, VIC/TAS, NSW/ACT, QLD/NT, NZ and there are still too many teams.

That leaves you with "West" (WA, SA, NT), "South East" (VIC, TAS), "North East" (NSW,ACT, QLD), "International" (NZ, Imports) and the concept has lost it's meaning.

Reply #452106 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

My (plus NZ) is obviously in the wrong place; should be after states and territories.

Reply #452107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the questions should be:

1. Why is the All Star concept failing?

2. What do we actually want to see to be satisfied that the All Star concept is working?

Reply #452108 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

The All-Star concept has failed because they are not real games where competitors want to win at any cost. They are simply an exhibition game with some setup dunks, alley-oops, etc to showcase the skill of a handful of players who really do not care whether their team wins or loses. Being in mid season means that NBL coaches are paranoid that there stars will pick up injuries so players are not giving 100%.

I expect that's why people call of a state of origin type game so there is some pride at stake like there is in the rugby league state of origin which would probably have one of the fiercest rivalries of any sporting event anywhere

Reply #452121 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If it is just based on current NBL players the talent pool is shallow. As for the all stars concept with only 8 teams it's not very appealing. I'm all for a super league similar to big bash league.

Reply #452123 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Save the effort and cost and put it towards a superleague comp instead, even if that was only big market teams plus guest players/imports.

Reply #452132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754