AJ
Years ago

Blake Griffin on Kris Humphries - is it a dunk?

Everybody is going crazy about Blake Griffin's dunk on Kris Humphries yesterday.

What I want to know is, is it actually a dunk if his hand doesn't touch the ring? I had the same issue with the one that he threw down on Kendrick Perkins a couple of years ago.

Yes, they were both awesome but he didn't dunk it. He threw the ball into the net.

To me, it's not a dunk unless you grab the ring. What does everyone else think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izRPB4vKFE0

Topic #33476 | Report this topic

The Cheese  
Years ago

"A slam dunk is a type of basketball shot that is performed when a player jumps in the air and manually powers the ball downward through the basket with one or both hands over the rim"

Dunk approved.

That's the Cheese.

Reply #452081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two points and awesome. Who cares what you call it. I'm sure he won't mind if you want to invent another name for it and credit it to him.

Reply #452083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spectacular but not a dunk. He needs to go back and watch how the Reignman used to throw it down.

Reply #452084 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not a dunk, but who really cares? He got the two points.

Dwight Howard's dunk contest winning "power layup", in a DUNK CONTEST though? That's another story.

Reply #452091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aggressive jump shot

Reply #452103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an offensive foul (charge) unless the defender is on the no charge circle?

Reply #452112 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Not like Kris Humphries hasn't had way worse happen to him, he did have to have sex with that troll Kim Kardashian after all.

Reply #452119 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

its a slam, more than a dunk. you cannot do it unless you're way above rim and with convincing force. thousands can dunk but only few can do that. jump shot trajectories from below and arching.

Reply #452120 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

@ Mystro Being Married to KK would have been tough, sex with her on the other hand is something I'd happily choose over getting dunked on in front of 18,000 people, no contest.

Reply #452129 | Report this post

+ -  
Years ago

Yeah Mystro, show me your mrs.....

Reply #452145 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

You are a braver man than me Curtley. I'd gladly take getting dunked on by an athletic freak than bang a Hobbit with a huge ass.

Reply #452152 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

ha! Put me down in camp Bang KK instead of getting dunked on...

BUt no, it's not a dunk... I had this arguement yesterday, it may fit the description of what an official dunk is, but it's a chuck... A spectacular play by all means, but in no way a dunk...

Reply #452162 | Report this post

It's called a throw down

Reply #452173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like a dunk, but from long range, so therefore even more skilled than a dunk.

Doesn't quite have the same oomph factor without the ring grab, but bloody impressive regardless.

Reply #452176 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANRZZV9FvU

Here is Kemp talking about Griffin's dunks and comparing them to his own. Kemp makes a lot of interesting points too on why he's dunks were more difficult.

Oh Kemp how great was career was in Seattle. IF only Drugs/alcohol and the lockout didn't destroy your career.

The trade to Cleveland also didn't really help propell's his career. Some of those CAVS teams Kemp played on, were nowhere in terms of talent that Seattle had.

Reply #452329 | Report this post

36Boggers  
Years ago

yep, I agree, you can't call that a dunk! hand has to touch the ring in my opinion - Crazy athlete though, and good highlights for sure, but I've always thought the same thing when a wining 'dunk of the year' hasn't actually been a dunk...

Reply #452498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754