Phil
Years ago

District level difficulty?

Hey guys , I am wondering how hard is it at district level. I understand some levels would be harder than others. I have played social bball for years and always wanted to play district but didn't think i was good enough , especially as a bad knee injury hurt my confidence on court for many years. I don't want to go try out if i am nowhere near good enough. I'm only 6 foot tall and not overly athletic but I'm fit and can run all day and handle the ball well. I am great at pentrating and dishing off the ball (i lack the athleticism to reliably finish over centres but have very good ability to dish the ball as i draw defenders)

Topic #33480 | Report this topic

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You sound like an NBL point guard... but with better handles

Reply #452164 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Depends what district level you are talking about and how old you are. I am 25.. I have only ever played social basketball however many District Div 2's and 3's play in the league I play in.. and I usually prove to be a handful for them to defend. So, depending on age.. you can almost definitely play some level of district... it really isn't as big a leap from social as you might believe... many of the better social teams have district players... district players are just social players with better coaching I find in most instances. If you have the skills you say you have, I tend to think you should atleast be able to go into a lower div league on a team with an opening. Look around for try outs.

Reply #452192 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Im 32 so not young lol. But im as fit as anyone going around. Im also not a prolific scorer. I just pick and choose my shots and spend most games trying to draw the defense and get the ball in the hands of anyone under the basket. Which has always been annoying at district level as it's hard to find teammates who don't follow the mantra of sit wide on the wings and wait for the pass so you can take a 3/deep 2.

Reply #452241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil you seem like an interesting chap. Good discussion now just give it a go. Theres all sorts of levels for you there. Sometimes in life, fella, ya just gotta step outside that comfort zone and have a crack.

Reply #452245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By any chance phil, and im spitballing here, would north or centrals happen to be ur closest club? You seem like a northerner.....

Reply #452246 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

lol where did that come from? do you know me? I dont live north now but once upon a time...

Reply #452248 | Report this post

Have a dip mate - don't wait for someone else to ask you. Call your local club and ask if you can come out to a training!

Reply #452251 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The biggest difference will be the intensity, so make sure youre ready to go!

Reply #452252 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Yeah i just find social very limiting in that no one moves , and the occasional times i have played with players who know how to move i am always able to play to them. i play best when we follow some sort of structure where social is more , run the ball and take the shot so whoever is a good shot or athletic enough to run and jump will normally be prolific in those leagues.

whether or not i will be good enough i really dont know , also interesting how my ball handling will stand up to man on man pressure at that level.

are there clubs that struggle to field a side? i always see clubs dropping sides for some reason?

Reply #452254 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:25 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754