Moneyballer
Years ago

Conklin calls Redhage a flopper.

Just saw this on Andthefoul and I definitley agree with Conklin. Here is the link to the play:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=726860453993884&set=vb.226891957324072&type=2&theater

Topic #33492 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Looks a bit floppy to me. Am I to understand that this was called a foul and then USF on top of that? Surely just one foul covers it? It was one passage of play and it's not like Conklin is going to risk some sort of continuation.

Redhage looked A-OK once the foul had been called...

Bit like Ervin rolling around yesterday in Adelaide. Would've had everyone thinking it was a major knee injury yet when Joey asked if he wanted a sub, he waved it away. Hah.

Reply #452512 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Maybe read what his coach said then end the discussion.

Reply #452514 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I agree that it's floppy, and said the same thing in the game thread.
Which doesn't make the ref's call wrong or Conklin's action any less dumb.
There was no continuation to risk. Redhage took another dribble after the foul and then went up for the layup. That was never going to count.

Reply #452515 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Isaac,

He got called for the two hands check early in the drive. The second call effectively happened as a dead-ball situation, thus the head contact in the block attempt, even if accidental, was considered to be excessive contact. There simply wasn't any need for it, the first foul was on the floor, he had to change direction and then go up for the layup, there was never, ever going to be continuation. I know he said he had to contest the shot, but to me it just seemed like a crude intimidation attempt that backfired.

The ref can't just ignore the first foul he called and he can't just ignore the foul in the block attempt. Conklin can talk about this history or that history, but the fact remains that he shackled the ref's hands on that call. Doesn't matter what the game situation is, you can't simply chuck the rulebook, so the ref simply had to provide the effect to Conklin's cause.

Reply #452516 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I hope that in the Cats next press conference, Wagstaff complains that Hinder has made a career out of being a thug, then ATF can write a story titled "Cats player snipes unsuspecting opponent during presser."

Reply #452517 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

After Rotnei Clarke took another dribble and got the continuation against Cairns a few weeks ago Im sure players are aware of the need to not allow any baskets after the whistle.

It's probably worth the NBL coming out with a clarification.

Reply #452519 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There was no continuation to risk. Redhage took another dribble after the foul and then went up for the layup. That was never going to count.
I don't know if a player can always make that decision instantaneously. Their instinct would be to stop it. Initial foul looked light and that USF looked pretty weak too.

Might be technically correct, but as a sequence it seems pretty silly.

Reply #452521 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm a Wildcats member but I absolutely loved the hard foul and was praising Conklin for the hard foul and when Redhage stayed down I thought he flopped, then the commentators made some contact about it being unsportsmanlike, I was really hoping the Redhage was bleeding as there is absolutely no way Redhage should have gotten anyone's respect on that play... And to make all 4 free throws; there's no justice !

I thought that the 2 games last weekend between Perth and Townsville were the most entertaining that we'd seen all season and with 189 and 200 points scored in the two games, I hope we don't look back and remember that call come playoff time!

Redhage is lucky that he wasn't playing against the Dalton boys!

Reply #452522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget the flopping. TRAVEL

Reply #452524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul nailed it here:
"After Rotnei Clarke took another dribble and got the continuation against Cairns a few weeks ago I'm sure players are aware of the need to not allow any baskets after the whistle."
If Redhage had made the shot, there is a chance the refs would have counted it after the Rotnei Clarke situation (I assume paul is talking about the game in Cairns last year when Gliddon fouled him with under 10 seconds left and he took a dribble, two steps then shot it and the refs counted it).
Also, if Conklin hadn't blocked Redhage's shot into the crowd and just made contact with the head, then it would have been more of a reason for an unsportsmanlike. But a genuine block attempt and connect with the block shouldn't be an issue.

Reply #452539 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

By the time the whistle is blown 2.05, redhage is taking his second dribble and going straight to the hoop. The block/foul happens at 2.04, how the hell is Conklin meant to react to the whistle in half a second and make the call to not contest the shot, seriously!

If he had flouled him at the three point line then sure, but redhage has already picked up his dribble as the first whistle is blown.

Over reaction by refs IMO

Reply #452556 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

I'm a Perth fan, and know Redhage can flop. But I think this is being taken wayyyy out of context, if this had happened in the first quarter, no one would have cared (as much). EVERY call has an impact on the game, and everyone knows the ref's dont always get it right. My opinion is you can't whack someone in the head, therefore should be an unsportsmanlike (for the players safety) Unless you're Matty Knight, apparently that guy's use to it... These are just my opinions though, I can see where everyone else is coming from...

Reply #452560 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Contact with the head is not an usf. It was a play at the ball and the replay clwarly shows that.

There is every chance those refs call that as a continuation. Conklin did the right thing. Redhage did the right thing trying to finish the play. The basketball side of things was fine, the unnecessary theatre and self-foregrounding by the officials was just dumb in what could have been a great game. Perth would have probably still won but it would have been a great finish either way.

The video footage is pretty clear. League needs to put out a clarification supporting or opposing the call.

Reply #452563 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The following quote is attributed to the wrong coach in the ATF article. It was Gleeson who said this, not Dennis (see the match report on the NBL site):

"after the whistle it's an automatic intentional foul. The decision gets taken out of the referees’ hands, and he fouled him. Simple."

Either way, it's surely wrong. Surely you're allowed to challenge after the whistle (providing it's not excessive). I saw that exact call (but it was a technical not a flagrant) in the NBA about a week ago actually, but the defender was a tad aggressive in that case.

I think Gleeson was just trying to stick up for his guy with that quote.

Reply #452618 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Either way, it's surely wrong. Surely you're allowed to challenge after the whistle (providing it's not excessive)."

This is what the discussion should be about. I agree that you do need to protect yourself from a possible continuation so it comes down to whether Conklin did anything excessive or not. It was a crude swipe at the ball and he made contact to Redhage's head. It would have been a foul under normal circumstances.

Considering a foul had already been called, what other options to the refs have (according to the rules)? Can they call a second regular foul? Genuine question, I don't know if the rules allow for that.

If they allow excessive contact on players stopping continuations, it opens a can of worms for players to start smashing guys under the guise of protecting the basket.

Reply #452622 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Spot on situation, would the referees rather have seen Conklin wrap him up in a bear hug after the initial call or just smashed him.

I said it before but I still wish I'd had seen Redhage bleeding after the way he reacted.

I guess this has annoyed me because it happened in Townsville where (forgive me for saying this but) with the crowd dropping off like fans, they all of a sudden become precious and its calls like that that we hope don't piss off the punters so much that they don't return. Let's hope next home game sells out in Townsville and the crowd are super hot and we don't notice the referees

Reply #452761 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Proud, it's nice that you would want someone to bleed, idiot.

Reply #452872 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

What do people think of Conklin saying what he said? Regardless of whether you think Redhage is a flopper or not, it seems to me that this incident wasn't what most people would think of in relation to flopping which is generally minimal chest contact causing the flopper to go flying backwards.

My view is that it is a poor look (and shows a lack of any class by the player) to come out and accuse another player of flopping or being unsportsmanlike. Conklin could have taken it up directing with Redhage behind the scenes or Dennis (who knows the Wildcats well) could have taken it up with Wildcats management or coaching staff and passed on the message that they weren't impressed if that was the case.

My view is that it was unprofessional by Conklin, reflects poorly on him and his club, and is not what players should be talking about in a league that needs promotion. Conklin could have perhaps rued the fact that he gave away two fouls in one play at a critical time in the game but made the point he wasn't going to give away an easy lay-up. Instead he comes across as a sulking guy with a chip on his shoulder.

I just don't think it is what the game needs. But no doubt I will get shot down by other more knowledgeable types on the forum!

Reply #452875 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754