Moneyballer
Years ago

NBL expansion teams

I know the most viable option for a new team is a 2nd Melbourne squad but if there were to be another team next season it would have to be announced soon wouldn't it.

Topic #33503 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably, yes. Unless it was semi-active already.

Maybe it'll emerge after next season.

Reply #452651 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

NBL CEO down in Tasmainia this week meeting with stakeholders.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/local-sport/tassie-begins-charge-to-nbl/story-fnj92b0f-1226801034471

Reply #452668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well expansion is definitely not happening for next season I am hearing. Brisbane for 2015/16.

Reply #452715 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

We hear Brisbane every season but in all seriousness i hope they do come back.

Reply #452716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who has any info on expansion please share it

Reply #452717 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Well isn't it too late to announce a team for next season?

Reply #452718 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Is Brisbane a bit of a dream though? Every so often the Brisbane team gets mentioned and bandied around and it's like a building development on the old Le Cornu site - everyone talks about it, but it remains vacant.

The NBL has spun out of Basketball Australia this season and there needs to be some certainly before anything happens.

The second Melbourne team is a constant discussion. I think the NBL would be wise to go into the room of mirrors and have a look at why previous teams have fallen over and what can be done as a whole to ensure that teams don't collapse and the competition stays strong.

The AFL are bully boys when it comes to media exposure and brand awareness. You only have to watch the TV news or read the papers to hear about the latest minor injury or latest puff piece. Channel 7 can't even get the Sixers logo correct and most reports are segways from some clapped out hack reading the sports teleprompter back to the anchorman/woman.

Reply #452722 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I get the feeling they might be waiting til they have more control over their broadcast situation, rather than completing BA contracts, before they bring in new clubs ie 2015/16.

That's just a hunch, but it makes sense theyd want to bring them into a situation of their own design to give a better chance of success.

Reply #452723 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The Bullets team has a ownership group together but the management hasn't been set up. They made the decision that they need more time. I would think by now that it is too late to announce any expansion.

Reply #452726 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

When you say "more control over the broadcast situation" I kind of wonder what you mean because the broadcast deal ends next year and I dont see a fantastic one neccesarily following it at this point.

Reply #452744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league needs to build to 12 teams over time...

Hobart, Geelong, Brisbane and 2nd NZ team would be the best options for national coverage.

Reply #452757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's implying that they'd arrange a broadcast partner after this deal before expanding. Gives new teams more reliable exposure rather than bringing them in now when there is not necessarily a new deal yet on the cards.

Reply #452759 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The Melb expansion has taken a bit of a blow since the ongoing knox "saga".

Geelong have always been keen but require a stadium upgrade to be viable long-term....so not sure that is the answer and the same could be said for Tassie which also needs the corporate support.

Brisbane is the obvious one for next year but the longer it takes to happen the less chance there is of it happening so they really need to get it together!

Reply #452768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What utter rubbish Tiger Watcher. Don't guess.
Geelong have said for a long time that they are unlikely to return to the NBL. Under the old regime they were bought out and given am option to return as well which on many occasions they have re confirmed that position as well.
If you read the article above on the Tassie situation it said right now it's not about the money.
The stadium issue for Geelong shouldn't be an issue either with Tassie expected to play in smaller venues as well.
Brisbane simply have no money and little interest and if any. The NNBL will fund it themselves apparently. Why is beyond me.

Reply #452772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon I have heard that Brisbane definitely has money with the ownership group.

Reply #452773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About time they did. Up until recently the NNBL were going to run it themselves and then sell it off.

Reply #452775 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon...pretty sure Money (Corporate Support) is always the issue! These organisations don't run on hugs & Kisses!

Small Stadium can work in the short term but long term playig out of a small stadium will put you behind the eight ball in terms of being competitive....we see it in every comp & sport around the world Money/club size will equal success over a sustained period.

The NBL is small enough at the moment it isn't a factor but if you have 12 teams then it will become a bigger factor

Reply #452776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money in Tassie is not a problem.

Reply #452803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly new zealands doing something wrong then

Reply #452805 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The Tassie economic climate is very poor and has been for a few year now hence AFL and many other sports or business have Tassie on the radar as they are a shrinking economy.

We are getting desperate if the NBL is considering them

Reply #452815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You really make no sense at all TW. ..hence AFL and many other sports or business have Tassie on the radar as they are a shrinking economy. WTF!
North Melb and the Hawks love Tassie and some even want more games in Tassie because it's so profitable for them.

Reply #452821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go back to guessing Tiger Watcher.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/local-sport/back-on-board-as-nbl-commits-to-tasmania/story-fnj92b0f-1226802742675
The only thing desperate is you

Reply #452926 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

They (AFL) play a couple of games a year but only because the state gov write a cheque for them to play....otherwise commercially it makes no sense to play in Tassie.

The NBL franchise will end up a broke money pit for the league that adds no value to TV or sponsors as a state it is the slowest growth population zone in Australia with its on State treasury department only predicting growth towards 560,000 by 2040 and with poor long term population projections and an ageing population it makes no sense long term as all the indictors suggest a shrinking commercial market when these factors are taken into account.

Reply #452931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL plays 5 not a couple of games and they make $millions by playing in Tassie. Nothing to do with the subsidies the goverment pay them either.

Reply #452932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latest on Tassie for Tiger Watcher's benefit.
Tassie looks way ahead of the incumbent's it seems.

Reply #453075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason why the new powers that be keep highlighting the importance of expansion is that the league is already at a ridiculously low number of teams and will need to replenish once Townsville and perhaps Cairns and Wollongong go under.

It's a band aid solution as imagine how embarrassing it would be if the league had less than eight sides to field.

I don't see how they get to sixteen.

Reply #453117 | Report this post

Hayden  
Years ago

I haven't seen it discussed around here but I think one of the main reasons for the Second Melbourne Team folding was the unsuitability of available venues and in regards to the South Dragons the Tigers doing whatever they could to shut them out of playing any games at SNAHC.

With Margaret Court in use as of next season, surely it would be a viable option for a second Melbourne team to compete in the NBL again. If you look at the Dragons, at the time they had triple the membership base of the Tigers and crowds were significantly higher and were higher compared to the Tigers average at Hisense.

The main problem IMO has been finding a way to make the 5,000-7,000 hardcore supporters into a viable sporting franchise. With a decent deal at Margaret Court at the use of the State Basketball Centre during the Aus Open (or an incredibly favourable deal at Hisense) I think we have the makings of a viable second melbourne team finally! *Hoping for the South Dragons to return*

Reply #453621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd prefer they resurrect the Magic brand. So successful back in the day.

Reply #453694 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Id love the magic brand back as that has true aura and you know if you get your jersey retired as a magic player then you absolutely deserved it because to stand out amongst your team mates in that environment speaks volumes!

I'd love to have the North Melbourne Giants back (maybe targeting north west Melbourne) but I don't have as much confidence in that happening

Reply #454126 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754