Isaac
Years ago

NBA considers division in UK/Europe

David Stern has conducted possibly his last press conference as NBA commissioner and it was in London during an NBA game. Included this quote from his replacement Adam Silver:

"It's most likely that if we were to come to Europe, it would be with a division rather than a single team for the sake of logistics," he said. "And it's something we're going to continue to look at. Part of understanding the opportunity is to play games like this, to measure the response and go from there."
Full article

That Brooklyn-Atlanta game in London had 18,600+ in attendance, so on par with the better spectated NBA games in the US, though it was a one-off and not part of a 41 game home season.

Wonder how they'd do it as a division? Currently they have six divisions of five teams each. Maybe adjust the US lines to have 5 divisions of 6 teams, plus another Euro-division of six teams with (say) London, Athens, Moscow, Paris, a Spanish team and Istanbul?

I wonder if it'd work best to have the teams club-based using existing Euroleague teams, and risk alienating some fans, or with fresh brands and built around cities or countries?

Topic #33518 | Report this topic

BJF  
Years ago

Have long said that the NBA FIBA convergence is closer to happening than people think

Basketball will look to be a global team sport eventually with conferences in Asia as well

The world championships will be modelled on soccer with the Olympics being restricted to u23 players

Reply #453019 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I really hope this doesn't happen. I love the way the NBA is now. I don't see a need to change it so dramatically.

Reply #453020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would you choose the European teams?

One team per country? Real Madrid would be peeved if Barcelona got the Spanish berth.

Reply #453021 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

An Athens team, oh that'd be an eye opener for the US...

Reply #453024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, standard of stadium and fan behaviour might be interesting for the NBA to control. But it seems like a smart embrace-and-extend/extinguish move from the league. There'd be big markets in South America, Asia and eventually Africa too.

Reply #453029 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not to mention standard of ownership / management behavior...

Major culture clash.

Reply #453089 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Major legal issues prevent this from ever happening unless an exemption is granted by the European Commission (one which hasn't been granted to UEFA in relation to FFP!).

Reply #453124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In regards to culture American NBA players can't stand being in Toronto let alone Europe.

Although Amsterdam would be a hit. hahahaha

Reply #453161 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Hate It hate it hate it.

Supersonics fan and this basically kills ALL hope of getting my team back

Reply #453188 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754