Tru Blue Emcee
Years ago

Should Mitch Creek Be Starting?

With his latest form, I personally think he's well deserved of the starting spot and some of Frye's minutes, nothing against Frye's game, but i think Creek just brings more to the team when he's on.

Am i the only one that see's this? Creek is improving every game and i think we need to be doing more to entice him to stay for a few years...

Topic #33529 | Report this topic

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Definitely, I don't understand why teams play average imports over rising stars, especially teams like the Crocs and Hawks. Frye is a good defender but so is Creek, Frye is a good slasher but so is Creek. Creek is a younger version of Frye IMO.

Reply #453270 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Agreed he definitely deserves it, and if Frye came off the bench he might avoid getting the cheap early fouls he often gets.

Reply #453271 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

It's not just about starting your best players. Chemistry, team balance and match ups are also taken into consideration. Being labelled a 'starter' is overrated - how else did '6th man' become such a popular concept and saying?

Creek's minutes, however, is another matter altogether...

Reply #453274 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Creek should be playing 30+ mins every game, especially to fast track development.
Think of it from opposition point of view. He is a hard match up. Cadee, Creek, Gibson, Johnson plus imports would be a very formidable combination and this is the core group to build around for long term success. Spend your money on these guys plus imports run a cheap bench and forget stupid rotation policies.

Reply #453276 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Whether he is starting or a 6 man he clearly deserves more minutes imo. By the time the expansion teams join you would think he would be a prime target

Reply #453278 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Moneyballer. Would you care to enlighten us all on which average import plays over which rising star at the Hawks.

Reply #453279 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Minutes are the key. JF is a predominately defensive player and I imagine he starts to keep a lid on the opposition and wear them down a bit, them BAM! out comes Creek to "Mitch Slap" the opposition.

Reply #453280 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The Adelaide 36ers total and average minutes so far in 2013-14 is (main 10 man roster).....in order:

Adam Gibson: 540:09 (17 games) @ 31.7 mpg
Gary Ervin: 446:53 (15 games) @ 29.8 mpg
Daniel Johnson: 480:34 (17 games) @ 28.3 mpg
Anthony Petrie: 466:05 (17 games) @ 27.4 mpg
Jarrid Frye: 344:34 (16 games) @ 21.5 mpg
Jason Cadee: 328:17 (17 games) @ 19.3 mpg
Mitch Creek: 264:45 (17 games) @ 15.6 mpg
Luke Schenscher: 241:53 (17 games) @ 14.2 mpg
BJ Anthony: 203:05 (17 games) @ 11.9 mpg
Brendan Teys: 71:23 (13 games) @ 5.5 mpg

Reply #453288 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

"Mitch Slap" hahaha I like that!

Reply #453289 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

Creek deserves more minutes than Cadee or Frye I would play him at least 25 mins

Reply #453292 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

fstos, what I was meaning was teams like the Hawks and Crocs have smaller budgets so why not develop your young guys by giving them stacks of court time and shots rather than paying for an import that will only be around for a year.

Reply #453294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that he should be getting more minutes, although he still seems to be on the bike every time off the court and still not 100%, but I like him better off the bench because of the energy that he brings.

Reply #453301 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Moneyballer, what do you call Mitch Norton, Todd Blanchfield and Mirko Djeric? Not to mention Peter Crawford and the Cedar brothers previously.

Townsville does as well as anyone outside NZ at developing young players, and even the Breakers make their young guys earn their minutes.

Reply #453307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd still start Frye over Creek just because of the energy Creek brings off of the bench but no way should Frye be playing 6 more minutes a game than Creek though.

Reply #453311 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I've been wanting to say this for some time... Ubaka has been the worst import this season followed by Jarrid Frye (yep even worse than Lazarre) and for a bloke to spruik before the season that he would dominate Ennis and now what? He has an awful jump shot, doesn't trust himself to drive enough and YES he takes time off Creek... Send him home. If Creek gets tired bring in BJ and give the opponent a more physical cover.

I watched as Kevin Tiggs missed a couple of dunks live as the hawks got destroyed by Perth, but something about him excited me and he has produced later in the season and been tremendous fun to watch... When will Frye impress?

I'm sorry to rant but he plays in a team choc full of confidence and had the 36ers been losing more this season then he'd be on a plane quicker than CJ Massingale

End rant

Reply #453333 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Agree Proud especially as CJ Massingale least had a outside shot which would be handy with our current team.

Reply #453364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't be cutting Frye now pointless really but wouldn't entertain the thought of re-signing him next season. Way too many holes in his game and not an NBL level import.

Really time to bump up Creek's minutes at the expense of Frye.

Reply #453377 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is the second Adelaide coach to underplay Creek. If he was a sure thing, both would be playing him more. There could be something putting them off, maybe strategic smarts and ability to work the plays perfectly. Can't see any other reason given that Creek often seems to excel in his occasional minutes, is a crowd favourite and generally entertaining to watch.

Either Frye is a clearly superior defensive stopper and cog in a defensive rotation, or Joey has a bit of a blind spot.

Reply #453378 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac, just watch Joey's rotations at the end of the games, he rotates Frye on to get defensive stops then rotates on other players when the Sixers are in offence.

Reply #453379 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Well said, Isaac.

Reply #453380 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Play the anti-hero 16mins and your guy 21mins,then, in a short game over in the blinking of an eye with acrowd deprived of minutes

Reply #453412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch creek should be getting 30 minutes a game. I've said it all season joey wright is an idiot. Def shoul have been starting instead of bj anthony early in the season.

Reply #453469 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

BJ looks a little like Frye.
Of the two at training, I'd have Frye.
Creek likes to do the flashy specky showey things and we gotta wait for him to finish.
Fans are too despotic. Once in love with weigh's big minutes, they expect Frye, playing half a game in the second team, to be replaced.

Reply #453501 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think Mitch should be getting alot more minutes than Frye because he is offensivly and defensively alot better. Has Jarrid Frye been making the top 3 scorers on Adelaide recently... No. I think Mitch is getting not enough court time. He should have some of Frye's minutes!

Reply #453792 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There's a creeping consumption in the place and it begins with these Frye haters. They ask nothing and receive nothing. Forgiveness is not in them. They scorn the widow and abuse the child. I'm glad they are not in charge of the young man's destiny.

Reply #453817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:00 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754