Happy Days
Years ago

Can Anstey win Tigers a Championship?

Watched yesterdays game and it left me wondering can Anstey win the Tigers a championship.His side seems to be sitting in its comfort zone and i find Anstey as a coach seems to lack presence. To blame the refs is a cop out and he seems to be struggling to find on the ON switch to make them a legitimate contender. Look at the energy Perth and Adelaide bring to the table most weeks.
Any thoughts???

Topic #33536 | Report this topic

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Undisciplined and disorganised. What do you expect when players aren't required to turn up to trainings and go undisciplined when they don't attend compulsories.

Reply #453405 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The refs thing was a cheap deflection, there was really nothing out of the ordinary in the officiating. I like having Anstey and Heal coaching in the league but I am having a hard time figuring out how either of them will collect a title.

Reply #453406 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I doubt it, lacking talent and he has Marty Clarke, Mark Radford style savvy as a coach. Im more surprised that DMac hasnt been able to switch to coaching with more success, was a very smart player. Same goes for Kidd in the NBA with that transition I guess.

Reply #453411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought dmac should've got the gig instead but give anstey time

Reply #453435 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

can't really see what Greer is bringing to the table for the tigers.

Reply #453450 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Is it the enigma of having being a recent player?

The older coaches seem to get much more respect.

Where, in respect of Heal and Anstey, it almost seems like the players have this "I know more than the coach attitude".

Part of it, I am sure, comes from the fact that Anstey doesn't seem tough enough on his group.

I don't think its a coincidence that when the Tigers and Kings lose, its almost always because they appear to have deviated completely from the game plan (which shows undiscipline)

Just little things seem to happen to the group that wouldn't happen under a veteran coach. (Which probably explains why Wortho went there)

Reply #453459 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Maybe if Anstey were as tough on his players as he is on the refs...?

Reply #453463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DMac is as lazy as Anstey is when it comes it work ethic at trainings.

Reply #453465 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Be interesting to go a training and see what goes on. Cant see what Tommy Greer brings to the table apart from his regular segment on SEN.Just a SEABL player.

Reply #453466 | Report this post

Manut Bol  
Years ago

From day one i haven't rated him as a coach or the tigers has contenders. They seem to be a little more disciplined (especially goulding) this season compared to last but still lack mental toughness down the stretch and lose their structure and become too individual.
The comments above sound about right if ansteys not drilling them at training

Reply #453470 | Report this post

Snowy  
Years ago

Manut, spot on. They don't have any finals match winners either.

Reply #453472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AT 5.30pm in Adelaide, 6pm Eastern, the NBL released a press statement today headlined: Anstey Comments Under Investigation.

Say what?

The release gave out the cryptic: "The NBL has launched an investigation in post-match comments made by Melbourne Tigers Coach Chris Anstey following his team's game against Sydney on Sunday.

“The NBL will be making no further comment until the investigation is complete."

Fair enough. But what about Anstey being reported in the tunnel post-game for alleged abusive language toward the officials?

When will that be made public?

Chris wears his heart on his sleeve and was typically forthright post-game with: “There were three really, really, ordinary human beings on the court today.

Asked about the calls, he added: “I didn't mention anything about the calls, but there were three people who were a joke today.

“They were not professionals.”

Got a feeling that may cost him a fistful of dollars. Who knows about the report though?

And no, Chris wasn’t irate because, at last, Scott Morrison showed he is the best centre in the Tigers program.

Actually enjoyed Wortho’s post-game comments: “We weren't sure if we were in a netball game to start off the first half, or if we were at Wrestlemania the second half.”

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/round-about-nbl14wnbl15/

Reply #453475 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I strongly believe that you need two things to be successful. 1. Natural talent and 2. Persistence.

Looking at successful teams/coaches across a wide range of sports you see a lot a talented teams, but the thing that sets them apart is persistence and resilience to come back when the cards are down. Teams that win championships are talented, but more importantly when things go wrong for them, they persist and adapt to changes and evolve their strategy to suit. They never give up even when things look lost.

The Tigers have got talent in their team but IMO they look a little low in persistence. If they were down by 10 points with a minute to play, then you could almost expect them to lose. If the Hawks were in the same position, you know that they could sniff victory and Gordie would be riding them like a jockey at Morphetville - they would make that minute count. Gordie would rub dencorub into his whip to make sure his charges don't slacken off.

Reply #453476 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

no they can not win with Anstey

Reply #453478 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is this the replacement for the Sack Heal thread which is a bit quiet at the moment!

Reply #453486 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Anstey was the same in Big V known for tryin to stand over officals & would always argue.

Can't say i've seen the Tigers Sessions but have heard that there Video sessions are sub standard & as an overall weekly training program in general it is less than would be expected from a team with 4-5 days to train every week.

Not sure weather this is player culture or coaches but that is reaports from various people in Melbourne about the program.

Pretty much they are getting by on superior talent to the teams below them at the moment.

Reply #453487 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I'm waiting for one of the referees to be fined for after match comments to the media about a coach's decisions during a game. That I'd like to see.

Reply #453488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DMac and Anstey were 2 of the laziest trainers ever. Gaze Senior allowed that mentality for years because of the talent they all had then. A Gaze was exactly the same. Supremely talented but poor trainers.
DMacs as head coach was only ever interested in coaching games, and not one for tough practice sessions if he ever got the job.
They will never win a championship with those 2 at the helm.

Reply #453489 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think it be interesting to see what the owners will do. Tigers will always be competitive under Anstey but ultimately its about titles and if he cant deliver one by the end of next season he might be looking for another gig.That will be his 4th season as Head Coach. What are your thoughts Paul?

Reply #453493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt the 'culture' why they had alot of issues with Trevor Gleeson, who probably tried to make them train/work too hard, and expected his PF/C's to get some rebounds, 'shock horror' and the players didnt like it so he got pushed out?

Reply #453498 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The owners won't sack Anstey any time soon as he is very tight with the owners....like best buddie tight!

They'll give him every chance possible hence they hired him with little to no senior coaching experience because they are bud's

Reply #453500 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think these owners are all about championships, their main focus is on building the club to be a powerhouse off the court. That's not a bad plan, because once that is achieved you are in a position to compete on the floor every year.

When I chatted to one of the owners he was very pleased with the work both Anstey and D-Mac were doing in local associations etc and the profile they took with them so that would be a big tick.

On the court, the Tigers have had the biggest injury interruptions of any team and yet still sit in third spot. Assuming they make the playoffs I think that would be a tick for Anstey in his second season, especially with the club on a four-year drought.

Reply #453510 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Despite the inappropriateness of behaviour by Anstey and the issues some have with his coaching, take a trip to NBL TV replays of the Sixers V Kings last week and then the Tigers V Kings, then come back on thread and comment, honestly, and I mean honestly on firstly the Kings on court push, grabs and slashes, then think seriously about the calls under the current definitions of the rules. throw in a little sportsmanship and then you may reconsider the officiating calls and Ansteys comments. Something is going on. Despite how good Sydney may look, I'm betting there will be more opposition coaches and teams who are not happy with the on court behaviour of the Kings and the officiating of those games, but Anstey may be the only one willing to challenge it. What happened to the early season reviews, comments and apologies on officiating calls that were plain old wrong, both ways, and how about some reviews post games and penalties implemented for the slashes on players on the fast break every time from Sydney which are outright dangerous, intentional and across the board........ Just Sayin...... I hope Taipans can make it, at least it will be a fair fight to the finish...... integrity is key....

Reply #453520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly why Gleeson was pushed out. The players didn't like hard work and Anstey stabbed Gleeson in the back.
Clearly DMac's doing a good job with Hawthorn? (was it) in the community too.
Anstey is tight with the owners and all they will achieve is an under performing side that may be a success off the court.
Once the new clubs come in it will be interesting to see who gets picked up from the Tigers if anyone.

Reply #453526 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If your going to make comment about referees he should of used one of Kevin Sheedys lines about the aliens.

Reply #453534 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

While you're watching replays, have a look at the body language and constant griping and remonstrating towards the officials by Wortho, Goulding, and barely an NBL player Tomlinson, led by serial complainer (well, if you count "its a joke" as a valid complaint) Anstey, and then wonder why the Tigers don't get the love they feel they deserve from the officials.

They haven't displayed any professionalism in the court since Anstey took over. They should probably look in their own backyard before worrying about what anyone else is doing.

Reply #453535 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Classic sort of collection of talented people but not a team sort of issue.

Reply #453538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"he has Marty Clarke, Mark Radford style savvy as a coach"

haha Anstey is bad but not that bad in terms of NBL win-loss.

Anstey and Heal benefit from an eight team league and most of the other sides being mediocre. This inflates their ladder position.

Couldn't believe what the Kings got away with on Sunday but at the same time Anstey whining gives the refs a reason to waiver on the Kings side.

Also the new owners are naive and going with someone they get along with and a big name rather than an experienced coach. Same in Sydney Oh well it's their money.

Reply #453549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaching in an 8-team league becomes a bigger factor because you are scouted so well by other teams and have to change things constantly, not to mention keep on top of the other teams changes.

Heal and Anstey have held their own in a tough environment, which no doubt disappoints those who would get joy out of seeing them fail.

Reply #453550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. They need to finish top four out of eight, which is effectively five because the three regionals can't afford to spend the salary cap (Cairns, Townsville, Wollongong).

Reply #453551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right. The new stupid owners of the Tigers despite their wealth are caught up with the persona of a great NBL player (Anstey) versus a person who has no real credentials as a coach. Anstey is clever enough to manipulate the politics and get his way. DMac rides on the coat tails of Anstey.
Westover shafted, and Gleeson as well.
Someone said be an off court success. One of the least things the Tigers are famous for is their community involvement.

Reply #453613 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anstey's record is 22-24 in a period where it's bloody tough to get wins with so few clubs, let alone with a rookie coach. The two years before he got there the Tigers' record was 21-35.

Heal's record at the Kings is 23-27 (plus a playoff series loss) compared to 16-34 before he got there. I think both have room for improvement but overall have done pretty well.

Reply #453667 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Paul will be seeing you pulling on the basketball or football boots this year or both?

Reply #453672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's easy (not hard - where do you pull that from)) to win when nearly half the league can't spend the salary cap.

Reply #453692 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I pull that from talking to people who have been involved in the league a long time telling me it is as hard as ever now.

They dont seem to feel beating Wollongong or Cairns is easy. Some of the Hunter, Canberra, Singapore, West Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Geelong, Gold Coast, Hobart, Townsville etc teams of the past were a much different story.

Happy Days, looks like it's the round ball this year.

Reply #453695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hard when your coach has no coaching experience and is just a name.

Reply #453698 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Since Anstey and Heal have taken over their respective clubs they have them playing .500 ball, not enough to win a championship imo

Reply #453708 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Paul will it be Sth Pen, Chelsea, Mornington or Westernport? I suppose it depends who has the biggest wallet....

Reply #453718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's hard when your coach has no coaching experience and is just a name." Spot on.

Reply #453722 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Just getting around to finish reading this thread...

@Annon - you're seriously painting the Tigers as the model of integrity on court? HA! How about you watch again and play a drinking game on the amount of Anstey's (elbows) were thrown? I think AJ might have a few words to say about the "integrity" of the Tigers players...

Reply #453833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754