Wildcats79
Years ago

WIldcats sign Jeremiah trueman

just heard on the radio in perth that the wildcats have signed jeremiah trueman and a short term injury replacement for the matty knight

Topic #33542 | Report this topic

Wildcats79  
Years ago

can tell i havent had my coffee this morning

they have signed him as a replacement for matty knight

not him and another person

Reply #453505 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

He'll be the bench support to Tom Jervis.

I reckon if you had told Jervis during the SBL season that he would not only be on an NBL roster, but that he would be starting ahead of another centre, he would have called the loony bin to come pick you up.

Reply #453508 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

That's good news for Trueman. Just how much longer is Knight out?

Reply #453515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 games out

Reply #453517 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Strange that they bring someone "new" in for just three games, considering the really idiotic rules surrounding injury replacements... He's probably the best person for the job, familiar with the team, etc, maybe they're thinking that it could be for more than 3 games?

Reply #453527 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

OMG salrary cap cheaters!!!1!

Reply #453531 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think they want to anticipate the possibility of it being for more than 3. Concussions are funny things.

Reply #453532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also with Matt Knights injury history not a bad pick up to have Trueman there just to fill in games when ever needed.

Yea Jervis has been a great find, i keep thinking the
Crocs could do worse than poach him for their stating C spot next season.

Reply #453541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember Breakers released him and paid him out of his contract therefore I'm sure he is happy getting minimum wage for a couple of games

Reply #453542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Concussions are funny things."

Matt Knight is a funny thing!

Reply #453548 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Nathan of Perth.

You obviously dont know much about Basketball, and much about Tom Jervis if you thought that!!

He should of been playing NBL years ago!!

Reply #453552 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

People have been giving Jervis ups on here for a while now

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/26069-who-will-be-sixers-10th-big-man/

Reply #453553 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I agree with Nathan, yes Tom Jervis probably should have been in nbl prior to this season but not many people would have expected him to be starting for leagues best team. It wouldn't surprise me if Townsville made a pitch for him next year imo.

Reply #453554 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Lol, settle Peter! I wasn't saying what you seem to think I was saying!

Reply #453556 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Also with Matt Knights injury history not a bad pick up to have Trueman there just to fill in games when ever needed.

As the rules stand, a player can only be an injury reserve for one player, once... Can't even be reused for that same player... ridiculous rules...

Reply #453558 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

When he played in Darwin for Topend Challenge he was an overweight, low fitness chump. Had he been fit for that one game, he would have got picked up. Instead his performance would have had most coaches looking elsewhere.

Reply #453561 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"As the rules stand, a player can only be an injury reserve for one player, once... Can't even be reused for that same player... ridiculous rules..."

If that wasn't the rule, what stops a team signing an 11th player over the points and salary caps, and pretending someone's injured every week?

Reply #453562 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

An injury replacement still needs to fit under the points cap, so why would you bother falsely putting someone on injury waivers and replace them with the same (or less)?

Reply #453563 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Kings have 11 signed players for that same reason, flexibility of roster and injury cover

Reply #453569 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sydney still fit in points cap with their 11 players.

Reply #453571 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If we are stuck with points cap next season hopefully Knight gets downgraded from current 10 rating

Reply #453572 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"An injury replacement still needs to fit under the points cap, so why would you bother falsely putting someone on injury waivers and replace them with the same (or less)?"

An injury replacement only needs to fit within the points cap once the injured player's points are removed. Otherwise a team that had the full cap wouldn't be able to replace any injured players.

"If we are stuck with points cap next season hopefully Knight gets downgraded from current 10 rating"
It won't matter, because he'll still be under this contract. He can't be downgraded until he signs a new one.

Reply #453573 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

^ Correct

i would ad that the incoming player can only utilise the available cap space. The injured player's salary is not included.

EG Player on 100k is injured the remaining 9 healthy players salaries total 950k you cant replace the injured player with a 100k player only a 50k player max

The issue of course being that the incoming player has less games to amortise his salary over. So lets say an import on 150k gets injured you could spend say 50k on an elite level import for 1 month and comply with the rules

Reply #453574 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"An injury replacement only needs to fit within the points cap once the injured player's points are removed. Otherwise a team that had the full cap wouldn't be able to replace any injured players."

So you think there is a risk of a team stock-piling all the 4 to 6/7 players, using them as training fodder (which is not really what their career aspirations would be) just so the team can play ducks and drakes each week while they rotate them?

I didn't bother suggesting having a 10 faking an injury, only to be replaced by a lesser player, because that would be laughable to even consider it happening.

Reply #453575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They at best could only stock pile the players without a NBL contract, and the guys who are worth 4-6 points and can get a roster spot somewhere are not going to give that up to be training fodder and rotated.

But yes if you can fit it in under your teams salary cap, and there is a player like Trueman available, why not have him as your 11th man and rotate him in when you see fit. But obviously all 11 players need to fit under 70 points, many teams would struggle with that, both the Wildcats and 36ers definatly couldnt do that as they only just scraped their 10 man rosters under the 70, both have 1pt players on the roster to allow for the other 8-9 guys they have, and the player has to agree to take a role like that, ie not have a full time contract offer at another club, or have another career that they wont give up to be a part time basketballer. So easier said than done.

Reply #453578 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Good system player. Better than a handful of bigs around the league so good that he has got another shot after the breakers fiasco

Reply #453588 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Knight sounds like he is out for more than three games.

Those 3 games are over 2 weeks / rounds.

So they must be backing Matty being out a long time.

Reply #453623 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Trueman is a good fit as a backup big for any team given his market value/price.

Teams need guys like Trueman -- players who work hard, play hard and seem to think of playing professional basketball as a blessing rather than an entitlement.

Type of guy I would want if I was coaching.

Reply #453636 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Marcus, how do you figure that it's more than three games?

Reply #453645 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Wildcats reporting on twitter that the NBL has now cleared Trueman to play.

Reply #453850 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754