Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Rookie of the Year

The NBL has got four rookies who have contributed to their teams this season, and there will likely be a good debate about who deserves ROY.
The candidates:
Reuben Te Rangi (New Zealand): 4.4ppg/1.8rpg/0.5apg in 12 mins. Best game was 22 points and 3 rebounds against Adelaide.
Mitchell Young (Cairns): 4.1ppg/3.4rpg/0.8apg in 16 mins. Best game was 11 points and 5 rebounds against Adelaide.
Tom Jervis (Perth): 3.6ppg/5.0rpg/0.9apg in 17 mins, also third in the league in total blocks. Best game was 7 points, 7 rebounds and 6 blocks against Sydney.
Cody Ellis (Sydney): 9.0ppg/3.3rpg in 19 mins. Best game was 13 points and 4 rebounds against Adelaide, but has only played 4 games this season.

The first three players are pretty similar as far as stats go, but Ellis will have played 16 of a possible 28 games by the end of the season so I would think he will do enough in that time to get the award.

Thoughts?

Topic #33545 | Report this topic

Phil  
Years ago

averaging 9ppg3rebs on 19 mins is a pretty impressive return

Reply #453579 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

With a full season im sure Ellis would get the nod. Ellis aside my pick is Jervis.

Reply #453580 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Going by the criteria that have been in place the past few years, Ogilvy is also a rookie.

Reply #453584 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Ellis' entry certainly makes it interesting, but Jervis will be back playing those extra minutes with Knight out a little longer.

Reply #453585 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The way Jervis has stepped up and performed at the 5 for Perth with very little help from Knight, you'd have to think he gets the nod.

Reply #453586 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Ellis

Reply #453607 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It's a bit late for Ellis

Reply #453630 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ellis'll still end up playing half the season, and ROTY isn't voted on a per-game basis.

Regardless, unless there's a change in criteria I don't see anyone coming close to Ogilvy.

Reply #453631 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Ellis or Jervis. Both are fine picks.

Reply #453642 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

koberulz, was Mills also eligible? Did he win?

Reply #453648 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Given it is voted on, I think if Ellis continues to play well he will get it, as none of the other candidates are really producing strong games to be fresh in the voters' minds.

Reply #453654 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

@Isaac: Yes, Mills was eligible. He didn't win, although he also didn't play many games. He was pretty average in a lot of the games he did play, too.

Reply #453711 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If mills was eligible then Ogilvy must be??

Reply #453714 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

koberulz, my point was that the voters tend to vote with the spirit of the award in mind rather than on a blanket "best player technically eligible" judgement.

Ellis is likely, you'd think. Jervis has done better than many expected though - hasn't looked out of place at all.

Reply #453717 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Steven: Yes, that's what I said earlier.

Isaac: I'm not sure Mills played enough games, or well enough, to win either way.

Reply #453721 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

koberulz knows everything

Reply #453742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

according to koberulz Kobe > MJ lolololol

Reply #453753 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When have I ever said anything of the sort?

Reply #453757 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

Hi Anon, the best way to shut someone like koberulz up is to stop posting for a while, if no one bites back he will get the message

Reply #453774 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Jervis has really impressed me and been exactly who Townsville or Wollongong (or even NZ through the season) would love to hand on their roster that you can trust to give their all, provide intimidation and rim protection and on the cheap!

Remember him in Melbourne and thinking 'hold on we got a heck of a player here and he is so modest to boot'

Ellis has been great and Sydney have grown in confidence with him on the floor so I wouldn't hate seeing him winning the award.

Young is awesome and can't see him win this year but he could have the best career of those mentioned.

Te Rangi hasn't impressed me outside of that breakout game

Lastly, this was posted to begin the season and many mentioned Drake U'U... What's your opinion on him? He has his Missus in Perth now and lifted his production... Could be another way the Wildcats improve come playoff time!

Reply #453794 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754