Happy Days
Years ago

Manchester City buys Melbourne Heart $11m

Just announced, do they want to buy an NBL club?

Topic #33557 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt it but does an NBA club want to buy an NBL team?

Reply #453844 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If we had no/fewer import restrictions, I wonder if they'd run D-League prospects here?

Reply #453847 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Read that they are keen on changing the name to Melbourne City to reflect the new relationship.

Smart purchase.

Wonder if Victory supporters who also support ManC will change their allegiance?

I support the Phoenix but I am a diehard City fan, and I am considering changing

Reply #453852 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well, I imagine a lot of Man City supporters in Aus just picked up a second team to follow, and a lot of Man Utd supporters in Aus just picked up a Public Enemy # 2.

Reply #453857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i wonder, if we allowed 3-4 imports, whether an NBA team would invest in a NBL club and run a few of their prospects ie James Ennis types out here, that would be amazing, its something id love to see the NBL atleast ask the question of NBA teams, ie are you interested in investing in a NBL team/the NBL, if some level of interest, what is preventing you from doing so.

Sell them on the NBA's massive following in Australia, the young coaches like the next Jason Kidd could be given some experience out here, for better than D-League wages and be better for it, and imagine the profile a guy like him would have in Australia.

Anyway probably wont happen, but even as a non-soccer fan id never have guessed this would have happened, so nothing wrong with being brave and asking the question in some manner imo.

Reply #453860 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Good things just keep falling into place for the A-League - the world's most overrated sports league!

Yes Im jealous!

No, seriously, good on them. They're doing great things. Just wish the NBL got a few generous spoon feeds every now and again.

Reply #453861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is football has a world vision whereas the Americans are quite myopic.

Although NBL pissed away an opportunity when the NBA were interested in it during the 90s.

Wildcat Fan yep it hurts me it is ridiculously overrated yet is covered heavily in the media yet a good quality league like the NBL remains blacklisted.

Reply #453868 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Sell them on the NBA's massive following in Australia"

The NBA's lack of interest in this market and TV ratings suggest it's not massive, especially commercially, but the more things we can do that link in some way with the NBA the better, the brand generates instant respect.

Reply #453876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt Australia one of the highest subscribers to league pass? to me that suggests a pretty decent following, and shows Australia as a nation is one of the most interested in the NBA in the world.

but yea didnt do great on tv, but i put part of that on one hd in its recent stint, and the fact its hard to watch NBA games live in Australia if you are working/studying, what i would have loved them to do was show it live, then replay one marquee game every day or so at around 7pm, i reckon that would get a pretty good following, but from memory one hd didnt do anything like that and didnt promote it greatly, hence part of the reasons for poor ratings.

Reply #453884 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im not sure how significant the league pass stat is. What are the TV deals in other markets? Is NBA TV available elsewhere? TV still makes up a much much bigger part of the broadcast component than online.

Of course there is still interest here, it just seems the NBA doesnt see much of a commercial return here as opposed to bigger population centres.

I hope the NBL is successful in creating some links, I would love to see a short, winter BBL-type league that is a sanctioned NBA summer comp and is attractive to our best players leading into international commitments or their next pre-season.

Reply #453894 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The NBA already has a D-league... how does the NBL come into the equation?

Well said, Wildcats Fan.

Reply #453898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, any idea of the ratings figures per game of ESPN's coverage of the NBA on Foxtel?

Reply #453911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They wouldn't be flash as no FTA networks are interested in the NBA rights.

Reply #453922 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

farkn hate soccer with a passion
the bastards who own / run AIG have there mitts into the All Blacks , Boston Red Sox & Manchester United . whos next? The Lakers?

Reply #453982 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

No one mentioned that one of the reasons man city wanted to invest in Australia is because of the A Leagues association with Asia with time zones, Asian champions league etc. as well as the fact your money isn't going to magically diassapear like it might in Asia. If the NBL truly wants to get the NBA involved Asia is the first step IMO.

Reply #454076 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

At least it wasn't Man U..

Reply #454121 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754