Mayor
Years ago

Refs flop Lightning out of game

Was watching the Rangers v Lightning match over the weekend on ABC. Great game. Adelaide had the upper hand for most of the game until the refs called Screen for two flops.

Correct me if I am wrong but that defense from Screen looked legit. But got a T both times, all in the last few minutes of the match.

IMO I thought it was an absolute joke and gifted the Rangers the game.

Topic #33578 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

There was one against Screen and the other was on Jo Hill.

Very bad calls, both of them. Not because the tech fouls stuffed Lightning, but because the calls were inconsistent with the flow of the game and the way fouls had been called all game. In fact, an exact copy of the situation was called the other way about 30 seconds later. That's where players, coaches and indeed fans, get so pissed off at the inconsistency of the calls.

Yes, I agree those two calls moved the momentum of the game towards Rangers.

Reply #454461 | Report this post

Mayor  
Years ago

Lightning = screwed in that match.

Girls played well but those inconsistent calls f....d them.

They were right with them, in fact looked likely to win. I wanted to punch the screen. Not much the team could do.

Reply #454462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need to punch it. Even if you had just barely tapped the screen it would have gone flying back across the room.

Reply #454463 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought they were shocking calls too.

Reply #454467 | Report this post

2nd try. I was of the understanding that the result doesn't matter as long as Angela gets to start in the 1 spot.

Reply #454469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look who called them, say no more.

Shocking calls and irrespective of that the worst time in the game to get that "technical" on such a damaging call/s.

Reply #454470 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

The ref just reached his boiling point in the 4th after already giving them a warning in the first quarter. He was just as annoyed as I was with the constant screaming like they got shot on every contact and flailing about. I hate it in soccer and in basketball. Players need to get a hold of this and change the culture Refs can't do it.

Reply #454482 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

spoken like a true ref michael..

the complaint here is more about the consistency of the calls and WHEN they were called..

when will refs realise they're NOT there to dictate or manipulate game results?

Reply #454488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were the techs for flopping or bench reaction????

BIG difference.

Reply #454490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills wasn't good as usual. Made sure everyone knew he was there. The most visible ref in crunch time in both leagues which isn't a good thing.

Dandy didn't get as much out of the 2 techs as they could have, although it was a great game and I don't think anyone (Dandy or Lightining fans) wanted to see as much ref impact as they got down the stretch.

Reply #454493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2 Techs were called on Hill and Screen respectively for "flopping", NOT for overt reactions or the bench yelling.

Given there was 2 min to go and it was a 3 point game i think a block call would have been a far better way to manage a close game in the dieing mins, let the teams determine the outcome, not even sure he had a good enough view being straight lined on one call to be 100% sure it was a flop anyway.

But as has become standard fare for Mills in big games he has to be seen too so we got the result we got.

Reply #454497 | Report this post

Annonnymouse  
Years ago

I think at the end of the day you don't want to watch any sport which ultimately seems controlled by the officials to the point where this is an influential factor in the result. I didn't see the calls, so can't really comment on them directly, but I do know it's disappointing when officiating determines a result.

Reply #454501 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

Disgraceful and inconsistent. Ruined what otherwise was a great game to watch. A block call would have sufficed. I am really not a fan of the tech foul for flopping.

Reply #454503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Block is the perfect way to handle it, if the player or bench THEN go and over react give them a T, nobody is going to complain when a tech is called for an obvious over reaction at a dead ball situation but to blow not 1 but 2 techs for flopping in such a critical point at the end of the game is in my mind totally unacceptable.

Reply #454506 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Why did the referees feel that they had to take control of the game?

Screen had taken a few legitimate charges earlier in the game, and the questionable offensive fouls against Dandy weren't even due to flopping e.g. the Hill-Ardossi 'collision'.

Moreover, the referees had been calling incredibly soft (non-existent) blocking fouls on both teams all game.

Confusing and frustrating to watch. I can hardly imagine how it would have been for the coaches and players.

Reply #454507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive got no issues with referee's having to make hard decisions to maintain control of games in crunch time where its warranted, you can't just pack the whistles away and allow them to break the rules but had Mills blown 2 blocks in those 2 situations we'd be none the wiser and this thread wouldn't even exist.

Id certainly be prepared to say nobody would be talking about the Hill/Screen "flops" because they we not clear flops to begin with and much more like text book blocks.

Reply #454511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny, Tim Mills hasn't always had a problem with flopping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEXvzrnU34

(can someone embed this please)

It's amazing how some faces who continually make mistakes keep popping up year after year. Can't we bring through some new faces?

Reply #454512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Mills in the NBL has made some very suspect calls to decide games over the years. It makes you wonder.

Reply #454563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It makes me wonder what exactly I'm meant to be wondering

Reply #454571 | Report this post

Mayor  
Years ago

"No need to punch it. Even if you had just barely tapped the screen it would have gone flying back across the room."

Lol

Reply #454598 | Report this post

Mayor  
Years ago

Boti covers the issue well here.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/round-about-nbl15wnbl16/

Reply #454600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's brilliant assessment by Boti, while i don't like seeing the officials being personally targeted i think enough is enough with Mr Mills.

He's had a good career but its time he called it a day in both Leagues.

Reply #454618 | Report this post

ballin  
Years ago

They got a warning. They continued to flop.
Dumb by the players rather than the refs. If they were in such good position they should of stayed on their feet and it would of been good D. Falling over after being tapped... is flopping.

Reply #454637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jo Hill and Screen should be flopped into retirement. They should of also got a 3rd tech for flopping straight after but ref did not have enough courage.

Reply #454685 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

screen retire??? her and hodges are the only two that are keeping that team going at the moment

Reply #454689 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"They got a warning. They continued to flop."

Screen copped Jenna O'Hea's shoulder fair and square, and O'Hea is a powerful athlete, there was no way that was a flop and Mills was not in the best position to call it anyway.

Reply #454694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills actually called out of his area of responsibility over the top of his partner on that call so technically it wasn't even his call to make.

So why did he make the call and why was he even looking in the area?

Reply #454710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look if anyone knows about flopping ... oops sorry, wrong Mills.

Reply #454716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screen is rubbish

Reply #454729 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Screen flops often, she got called this week. That's it.

Reply #454902 | Report this post

TMK  
Years ago

Screen's technical was rubbish. Jo Hill however was asking for a technical all game - too lippy for a veteran and the constant remonstrating ultimately caused it (O'hea missed the 2 fts anyway).

Honest assessment is Adelaide never looked likely beyond half time. Their 2nd qtr was horrible and they went away from everything in the 1st quarter.

A great game nonetheless.

Reply #455084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754