Anonymous
Years ago

Just how popular is the NBA in Australia?

Ok we have the 2nd highest league pass subscribers (2nd only to the USA), yet what sort of television coverage does the NBA have of games in other countries?

A few NBA games are shown live on ESPN (each week) on Foxtel (how well do they rate?)

We have no FTA coverage like we did in the early 90's.

I believe Australia has the highest amount of NBA merchandise shipments outside of America (I thought I read this somewhere, is this correct?).

We get no NBA teams travelling to Australia to play.

So exactly how popular is the NBA in Australia?

Topic #33579 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

How long is a piece of string?

Reply #454474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interested in exactly what you mean by that?

I thought my post was a fair question.

Reply #454476 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

The fact that the NBA is already popular in Australia compared to other countries is the reason why NBA teams do not have to travel here and promote it.

Reply #454479 | Report this post

cliffclavin  
Years ago

I only watch if the Aussies are playing- Spurs, GSW, Cavs are on Foxtel - otherwise I prefer NBL.

Reply #454480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ same here

Reply #454481 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Dont have any stats by the eye test says in the last decade I have met plenty of people who are nba fans who but have never met a single nbl fan. That is not an exaggeration either.

Reply #454489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont meet many NBA fans, but those who do follow it seem to follow it pretty closely. When there is a good Finals like last year lots of people seem to take an interest, like soccer at FA Cup or World Cup time.

Reply #454491 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Sooooo youd watch a cavs game but not LBJ versus KD? I feel for you guys, have no idea what you're misisng out on.

Reply #454494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because we are patriotic and support our Aussies.... No matter what :)

But I see your point, KD v Lebron is always worth watching

Reply #454495 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It's good to watch, but I never feel like I have skin in the game, so it doesn't get me as excited as watching the Wildcats, despite the fact the Wildcats would get thrashed if they played whatever NBA team I happen to be watching.

Reply #454498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Popular compared to what? Compared to Australian sports?

Reply #454525 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Popular compared to Madonna?

Reply #454527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean popular in terms of how well does it rate on ESPN on Foxtel?

How much merchandise ($ wise) gets purchased on NBA.com and sports stores around Australia?

Are the League pass subscription numbers as good as they sound? (Considering the NBA is not on FTA TV)

Do our junior players take up the game of basketball, mainly due to following NBA players?

ETC

Reply #454531 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We may have league pass sales because the games aren't on FTA and many can afford to pay for LP. But while they might humour us with an exhibition game one day, we don't have the population to be worth a great deal more.

Reply #454532 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

A lot of people wear buy and wear the NBA merchandise because it's trendy, not because they like basketball. My 17 year old nephew has about 20 NBA snapback hats. I was going to get him an Iverson 76ers jersey but when he couldn't tell me where the 76ers were from I thought better of it.

Reply #454548 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just my little world I guess, but I do know quite a lot of teenagers who are into hoops and almost all of them follow the NBA in some form or other, usually on their mobile phones or online via youtube.

Conversely, most of them can't even name an NBL player, but they can name the top 10-15 NBA players immediately if you ask them...

Just how populare is the NBA here, well, watch the local news and it will be revealed to you!

Sports highlights during our summer season will include cricket, football (yup, always ther), snow boarding or X-games, soccer, the NFL or college ball and NBA highlights. Usually nothing at all about the NBL, unless you are very lucky and get a 10 second mention of it...

Personally I like the NBL product at the moment, I also like the NBA, but let's face it we don't promote like they do, do we?

Cheers, that's my take on the subject...

Reply #454552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a teacher and my students do not get off league pass!!

I know that there are a lot who wear it for fashion but on casual days most wear NBA jerseys.

Reply #454564 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

adelaide's asian community is mad for basketball and the nba. its quite amzing how few of them seem interested in the nbl though. i dont quite get it , maybe its the hype of the nba they love. its also shocking i cant name an asian in the nbl outside of darren ng. what are all the good australian asian athletes doing? down at my local courts there are 40 asians for every white guy but the nbl is full of white guys...? is it a culture thing that they don't take it seriously and are more about family? there has to be a reason?

Reply #454567 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

actually its quite interesting that with an influx of greeks/italians/croatians etc to australia how much they became a part of the sporting landscape and participated in sports at high levels here but we have had a very high influx of immigrants from asian countries for a long time and they have a miniscule presence on the national sporting stage (im not saying we measure an immigrants worth to society in sports as a value but noting something out of the ordinary). right through aussie rules / basketball soccer etc we have plenty of sons of immigrants who play those sports to a high level. plenty of asians are quite good athletes. i would struggle to think of ten asian national athletes in any sport but could name ten european heritage stars in probably each sport.

Reply #454569 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Although the wildcats are very popular here in Perth one of my younger workmates (early 20s) can tell you who won each NBA game but can't name half of the Perth wildcats. Media coverage of basketball is very limited.

Reply #454574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My son loves his basketball. Plays domestic, rep and school ball in Melbourne. Shows no interest in NBL, Not sure he he could even name an NBL player, he hates the Tigers, who are the opposition. Could name half the NBA plays though. Started off learning them by playing PS3,, now iq's every game and watches the lot. Many of his mates do the same. The NBA stars are the reason.

Reply #454585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watch 3 games a week on ESPN and Sportal, Sportscentre every night for highlights, download 3-4 games a week to watch (i love watching teams that nobody would normally see or are popular TV teams like Toronto or Charlotte or Portland), i watch scores during the day everyday on ESPN scorecentre... Cant get enough!

But I also watch Euroleague and every NBL game too.

Reply #454589 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

would be stretched to find a kid who doesn't either have league pass, nba 2k14 and/or an nba jersey. as far as avidly following the sport - yeah certainly in my circles and have found most people I meet have a solid understanding of NBA or some of its major players. in my view it is certainly the most popular in Australia of the big 4 american sports - maybe because junior basketball is one of the biggest sports in Australia.

Reply #454597 | Report this post

Tekutch  
Years ago

adelaide's asian community is mad for basketball and the nba. its quite amzing how few of them seem interested in the nbl though. i dont quite get it , maybe its the hype of the nba they love. its also shocking i cant name an asian in the nbl outside of darren ng. what are all the good australian asian athletes doing? down at my local courts there are 40 asians for every white guy but the nbl is full of white guys...? is it a culture thing that they don't take it seriously and are more about family? there has to be a reason?

As an Asian from Adelaide, I started off watching the NBL and suppporting the 36ers but then eventually became a Denver Nuggets fan because of Carmelo Anthony while playing NBA Live 05. Any how through interaction with fans on NBA forums, I became a pretty big Nuggets fans and slowly the passion in the 36ers faded, while I became quite passionate for the Nuggets. So now I can name most players on all 30 NBA teams but outside of the 36ers I would really struggle past 1 or 2 players for other NBL rosters. Heck I can't even remember how many teams there are in the NBL right now.

I don't know about you guys, but the quality of basketball matters. It's obvious but being used to the NBA doing everything better including the level of basketball played, the production, TNT/ESPN half time shows, American TV commercials, etc now makes it very hard for me to sit through an NBL game when I watch it on TV.

I will admit though, NBL and 36ers were really fun to watch when we grabbed Julius Hodge and when he was the best player in the league until you know what happened.

Reply #454607 | Report this post

Shooting Blanks  
Years ago

"Ok we have the 2nd highest league pass subscribers (2nd only to the USA)."

Interesting, I didn't realise that. I suspect we're propping up India's numbers quite a bit as well. Everyone I know who has ILP just happened to be passing through the sub-continent at their time of purchase. Go figure.

Reply #454608 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

It is hard to measure popularity as the NBA has merchandise, computer games, Tv games, Internet coverage etc to measure its popularity. I will say however that in last years finals there were old blokes who I had no idea who knew anything about basketball betting on or talking about games. I think it is very popular but like many sports people only follow it at certain times. If the NBL could somehow inconspicuously use the NBA to promote that NBL that'd be great.

Reply #454625 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Curtley, you have a point about the NBA being a particular brand that is followed during its season, however the sport of basketball here in Australia almost has no season.

It is interesting that our sport is actually played all year 'round (NBL in summer and SEABL etc... in Winter), plus junior competitions and senior domestic is also played all year (maybe having December/January off).

So, while it is clearly more popular during the NBA season, the sport as a whole should in fact be in the public eye all the time, at least within local communities, in their papers and other promotions, if not national news worthy...

Reply #454630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of people who casually follow NBA are mouth breathers who have no idea about basketball. They will look shocked if you mention how big the game is globally, e.g. Euro ball.

Reply #454667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I need to see more Davis singlets in circulation.

Reply #454809 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^^ I don't think the thread was actually looking at comparing the world game in Europe, it specifically asks about us here in Australia and about the NBA, which is what people are posting about.

No doubt that Euro basketball is huge and is getting very entertaining too, but that would be another topic, now wouldn't it..?

Reply #454814 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

very popular

Reply #454832 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

Very popular

Reply #454875 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From my experience the majority of people who play basketball in Australia dont follow basketball.

People in teams Ive been involved in rarely talk about the NBA except at finals time or if there was a particularly nasty play, and they might mention an NBL game they saw on TV but the conversation very short.

The NBA and its clubs do very little in Australia as there doesnt seem to be any financial return, and the TV stations here dont appear to be interested due to poor ratings. The EPL certainly seems a lot more popular in Australia by those two measures.

I think there is certainly a very devoted core, and always a bubbling interest because of the highlight plays that appear occasionally on the news, but amongst the general population I think very few people would be able to name any NBA players other than the megastars.

Hopefully Dante Exum can get it back into the mainstream again, because that will only help all levels of basketball.

Reply #454891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"From my experience the majority of people who play basketball in Australia dont follow basketball."

Exactly. People play it but don't follow the pros. Weird. Seriously WTF at Aussies when it comes to this, watching the pros is awesome!

Reply #454977 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754