Wound
Years ago

Ennis Goulding handshake snub

Not exactly the biggest basketball story getting around but we'll take any publicity I guess.

Shake my hand like a man....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/handshake-snub-by-james-ennis-lights-fuse-for-explosive-tigers-wildcats-nbl-clash/story-fndkzqrr-1226811536409

Topic #33580 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

The game this Sunday will be fiery

Reply #454486 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Warranted its poor sportsmanship, but hard not to laugh when a guy whos nickname is 'bubbles', is talking about being man!

Reply #454492 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Is this actually going to become a thing?

Reply #454496 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Nice little bit of press to increase numbers for Sundays game.What was missed was Tigers Team Manager Ian Jones victory celebration. Looks like Jones has been in a good paddock....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMKtKMDE2Ec&list=UU8ZPzO3LyAqc38mxDW_b7iA

Reply #454502 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Try this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcNe6mbrMQk&list=UU8ZPzO3LyAqc38mxDW_b7iA

Reply #454504 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Goulding has already stated thats not what was said (he didn't say words weren't exchanged) and that the media got it wrong.

ATF has predictably blamed Perth media but it was written by Nick Smart from the Herald Sun.

Reply #454505 | Report this post

el presidente  
Years ago

ATF usually is too quick to jump on anything that may paint Perth in a bad light that he let's logic and rational though go out the window.

Reply #454510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis is a great player but needs to take a look at himself - he whinged and carried on over calls a lot in that game.

Reply #454514 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He did get shafted on a few calls but he needs to stop forcing it regardless.

Reply #454515 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Forget that, missing four straight free throws would be the thing to fix first.

Ennis going at 33% FG and Beal going 1/6 from 3, both of them missing open shots, was what really did the damage.

Actually, when you took an overall look at how we played, I really don't understand how we were tied in the last few seconds, let alone up by 4 just before that.

Reply #454516 | Report this post

el presidente  
Years ago

If Ennis worked on lateral movement and creating angles to bet to the basket he would be a lot more effective. at the minute he just runs up and down the court plowing into who ever is in the way.

Reply #454517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He gets lots of calls, some right some wrong. Tigers didn't have Walker and didn't play their best game but found a way to win. Should be interesting this Sunday.

Reply #454518 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It was a pretty ugly game from both sides, there was a passage where the ball got turned over three times in a row, culminating in a wild pass out of bounds from Melbourne where I just had my head in my hands asking the missus, "What the hell did I just watch!?"

By and large, Goulding and Wortho seriously came to play and none of the Wildcats bar Jervis could hold their heads up and say the same. Unfortunately, both Goulding and Wortho are much more talented than Jervis (as good as he has been) so there was only so much he could do. Really wish someone could have gotten that fifth foul on Goulding in the 4th quarter.

It's like no one has mentally come back from Christmas!

Reply #454520 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

If Goulding wants to correct the press perhaps he should clarify what was said rather than what wasn't. There was actually no need for him to say anything but he always does. Three things you can always count on with Goulding: 1. constant whinging to the refs, 2. bad loser, 3. graceless winner

Reply #454522 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Vodka63,

I don't see Goulding exhibiting any of the 3 traits that you've listed above? I've been impressed by Goulding's level of maturity (on court) over the last 2 seasons with the Tigers. He has taken his game to another level IMO.

Reply #454524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was a great game last Friday, teams having to make tough shots to score because of the tough D. More of the same this week please.

Reply #454528 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but compared to what he was like at the Blaze, Goulding, especially after that stint in NBA summer league, has really pulled his head in. He is by NO means anywhere close to the level of complainer that Wortho and Morrison and even Tomlinson are on court, I can't remember ever watching him and going "what a tool!" like I used to do and what I regularly do when watching Wortho... He goes about his business and makes some big shots, which you can't help but respect...

The last few rounds, Ennis has been getting sookier and sookier, and there's been a few reports of him "interacting" with opposing teams fans that have been quite disappointing to hear as well... He's been great for the league and I love watching him play when he's on, but when things aren't working for him, it seems that his age shines through...

Reply #454530 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I can't help but wonder if Ennis got some bad news or something over Christmas, because it feels like there has been a change pre and post break.

Reply #454534 | Report this post

el presidente  
Years ago

most the "interacting" seems to be pointing at the crowd after nailing a three or chest bumping after a dunk. Might be an overstatement. Hopefully someone with first hand experience can shed some light..

Reply #454540 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

He was having a go at the bloke in the Hawaiian shirt in Cairns when he got fouled off last time. Was pretty ordinary from Ennis, the Hawaiian shirt guy just pokes a bit of harmless fun, every other player laughs him off or ignores him.

Reply #454546 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I tweeted at Chris "@ChrisGoulding43 Was it a Perth paper by any chance? haha"

Is a question a statement now?

When I spoke to him about it on Sunday he didn't mention anything about telling Ennis to be a man. Chris put his hand out to Ennis, Ennis hit it away and mumbled something then some other words were exchanged.

Sav also mentioned (which will be up on the next Hawks Nest) that Ennis did the same thing to Demos when the Wildcats lost in Wollongong.

But then again I may be letting "logic and rational though go out the window."

Reply #454547 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think what people forget is that Ennis is only 23 and playing his first professional gig. Despite all his athleticism and talent, he is a kid playing in a man's league. Hopefully he matures soon enough.

He needs to ignore the banter from the crowd, especially now that he has made himself a target.

It does amuse me though that fans are really proud of themselves for hanging shit on a player all game, but then act offended and disgusted when said player reacts.

Reply #454550 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I dunno Wilson, a Hawaiian shirt is a pretty serious faux pas. I don't know how things run in New Texas over there but that sticks out to me!

Reply #454551 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I agree with the situation, best thing for him is coming down here and getting physically beat up week in week out.Will make him a much better player.

Reply #454558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no beating the shit out of anyone in this year's league. Last year would have been an education.

Reply #454560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Goulding has a game to go with his reputation. Demos is just a dirty scragging dog scrub in the mould of Brad Robbins.

Reply #454572 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Well that escalated quickly.

Reply #454573 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"It does amuse me though that fans are really proud of themselves for hanging shit on a player all game, but then act offended and disgusted when said player reacts."
Most fans who dish it don't mind the player reaction. I'm speaking more as one who doesn't really approve of the fans giving it, but I am annoyed when players react, because its part of their job and they should know better.

Reply #454579 | Report this post

wildcats  
Years ago

Gleeson stated today that Ennis did put his hand out but as they do a lot in the USA, most don't shake hands the gesture is usually 2 guys with a close hand,tapping each others fist, rather than a handshake, Goulding said shake my hand, and Ennis didn't like it. Why does Anstey have to comment on everything.

PS As bad as the Wildcats played, even I was amazed we only lost on the buzzer,and it took 2 big threes by Wortho and Goulding to beat the Cats.

Will be a great game Sunday

Reply #454604 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Ennis seems to be getting more frustrated in recent games. Im pretty sure its more to do with the overly physical tactics that have become more prevalent as the season has worn on. Of course he still needs to mature and learn to deal with it as a pro. But even the usually unflappable lisch was retaliating come the gf last year. Theres only so much a man can take. I highly doubt that goulding is an innocent party in this. Hes probably the biggest instigator in the league. Anyway i hope the refs clamp down like they were earlier in the season. I dont wanna see another basket brawling finals series this year

Reply #454609 | Report this post

Dasson Maid  
Years ago

Ennis also kicked chair and had a go at Hawks fans when fouling out there, then refused to shake Demos' hand.

Talented, but an immature sore loser.

He is only a 23 kid out of college though, not everyone has a head on their shoulders like Kevin Lisch or Rotnei Clarke straight out of college.

Reply #454638 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah, most kids on teams don't have the sort of pressure that is sitting on him. To not just win for the team, but win and entertain, and know that any screw-up jeopardises your NBA contract hopes and that Miami's scouts are watching.

Reply #454639 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Ennis also....had a go at Hawks fans."

"Talented, but an immature sore loser."

This is the type of comment that I was talking about. Lets be real, the Hawks fans would have been giving to him to him the whole game. They would have been taking great delight in screaming the most feral things imaginable at him. To then say "he had a go at Hawks fans" is utter bullshit.

Reply #454642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

woolongong fans are feral, i'm not surprised that ennis "had a go" at them because he would have (no doubt) endured awful comments the whole game...

not saying it's acceptable for an athlete to react to sledging, but fans who shout at an individual for the entire game would have it coming

Reply #454643 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Let's just say he could learn a lot form some of the other imports, guys like Rotnei, Sanders (remember him?), Wilson know how to handle themselves well, even Sam Young given the hits he has to deal with every week that go uncalled.

Reply #454652 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I don't think anyone can reasonably suggest any of those guys have been as much a focus of attention as Ennis has been, so I don't think calling on Ennis to emulate them is a concept with much utility.

Reply #454653 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'd put Sam Young in the same category. He gets hacked most plays but refs only call the foul half the time because he's strong enough to play through it. He doesn't seem to get too frustrated by it all. I'm not sure if crowds are giving it to him or not though.

Reply #454655 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think Ennis spends a lot of time remonstrating with the refs, like Goulding, Wortho, Tomlinson, Anstey....hmmm, noticing a pattern here...but he does show his frustration by trying to force shots. Still something he needs to get out of his game though.

Reply #454664 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

The last couple of home games he has remonstrated to the refs whilst heading to the bench rather than at the time of the no calls.

Reply #454784 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Gleeson doesn't stop whining either

Reply #454938 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Given the two visiting coaches we've seen in the last two weeks, do you seriously want to start that conversation up?

Reply #454939 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No coach stops whining. Its their job.

Reply #454943 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:42 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754