Anonymous
Years ago

Greatest Period in Aussie Junior Basketball?

I didn't even know these guys in the US were doing so well.. Is this really the best that Aussie juniors have ever been? I think its a pretty fair statement from my seat.

http://ausahoops.com/is-this-the-greatest-period-in-the-history-of-australian-junior-basketball/

Topic #33598 | Report this topic

bikini girls  
Years ago

good debate here - many may say the ones that paved the way were....

Reply #454837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaron Trahair - there needs to be a story about how good he should have been. He would get unconscious. Hands down the best junior Australian player I've ever seen. Ever.

And the whole 1997 Junior Worlds Team that won the gold.

Reply #454847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem was Trahair was lazy and some days just couldn't be bothered

Reply #454856 | Report this post

Hogwash 40  
Years ago

Under 19. Emus 2003 winning gold medal world champs .anyone remember?? A great era junior basketball.Andrew Bogut breakout tournament.

Reply #454862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trahair is a behemoth now.

I reckon Vlahov/Longley.

Reply #454865 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The article asks;

'The question now is can the current crop of juniors continue their successes to the senior level, something that previous generations have struggled with. And more importantly, can this crop of juniors develop to eventually bring Australia that elusive Olympic medal?'

I am not sure that previous generations have struggled for success at senior level, that depends on what is classified as being successful.

Any medal at the next Olympics would be an awesome achievement, remember that other nations are also developing their juniors at the same rate...

Reply #454879 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

1999 AIS Group steals this title hands down.

Reply #454886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt the best ever Junior has been Frank Drmic, in later years under 20 (Andrew Bogut/Patty Mills.

Drmic dominated under 14/16/18. Bogut/Mills best under 20's players.

Reply #455280 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

1997 under 23 team and 2003 under 20s team will be remembered for their gold medal performances. In time the 2012 under 17s will be up there with Exum and Simmons. Trahair was so frustrating was one hell of a junior player who should have been a boomer but never lived up to his potential

Reply #455284 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Drmic didnt perform well as an international junior though.

Reply #455288 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Drmic represented aust at age 20 and never made another team after thatso on that basis you could say he was an international bust

Reply #455294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In terms of depth, this period would have to be the best, the numbers of high achieving players in the 17-22 age bracket are hard to argue with. The 1997 and 2003 junior teams that won world championships were very strong but the depth not quite as good outside of those teams.
For the argument, what length of time can define a period?

Reply #455302 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754