Anonymous
Years ago

Do you guys think NBL players / refs bet on games?

With very low salaries, and an "easy" opportunity to earn extra cash on the side, do you guys think players bet on games? It is very easy to get away and it seems that unless you are unlucky, you wont get caught. The NBA have a much larger anti corruption unit and they only caught Donaghy by chance, actually the FBI did by investigating someone else. SO how would the NBL catch them?

Why wouldn't NBL players and officials try and extra cash on the side when they could do it easy?

Topic #33601 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Refs would have to perennially bet on Wildcat home games. I can't think of any other excuse for the calls they make in that arena.

Reply #454853 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

what is the point of speculating on something we can only make uneducated guesses at?

Reply #454855 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It would be hard for one player to accomplish.

Just say a player puts $5000 on his team to lose and his team has an awesome game and easily wins regardless of that player having a bad game. Next game they bet his team will win and they have a shocking game and they lose.

Even if the player put money on them to win for or against the line, that would be hard as well.

The only way it would be easy is if that one player had a player prop bet on them to score under or over which doesn't happen in the NBL anymore I don't think. Obviously that player could dictate the result of that but if they put huge money on that bet they will get caught eventually.

Reply #454857 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The total match scores and other exotics like ht/ft doubles and leading point scorers are the ones which could be manipulated, or even just bet on knowing the teams strategy and approach to that particular game.

Reply #454863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The FBI also found Stern and the higher ups of NBA had been cheating.

But yeah players bet just not on own games I'd say

Reply #454867 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'd believe it if I were told that Campbell bet on a Cairns win tonight with the calls he made. That offensive on Jervis at the end was crazy.

Reply #454870 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I don't think they bet.

Also anon, do you have a source for the FBI finding Stern had cheated? Pretty big allegation otherwise.

Reply #454882 | Report this post

smoke  
Years ago

This excerpt from Donaghy's book is a pretty good read on the topic in regards to his dealings in the NBA:
http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

Reply #454924 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer - re calls at Wildcats home games. Interestingly, in Wildcats' home games last season and I think the one before, both Perth and the visiting team usually got fewer fouls called on them than their season averages. i.e., both teams benefited from fewer calls against them than they got playing elsewhere. Don't know if that's the case this season.

Reply #454929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no reason to believe there is corruption in the NBL, even if there might be some in the NBA.

Has there been any fall-out from the Donaghy book?

Reply #454932 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

We know Wortho has a dreamteam. Does he play poor defence so his dreamteam players can get good scores?

Reply #454935 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Oh I don't doubt that, Peter. I meant their 'decision' to both whistle and not whistle certain plays.

And as far as benefiting both teams, I think you can quite comfortably say Perth get advantaged by this. They just beat up on teams with over-the-back calls, body and hand checking and don't get called for it. Other teams play less physical because they know they cannot get away with it. Quite simple

Reply #454936 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If the league can't policy a salary cap, it goes without saying that they wouldn't police this very much. Whether anyone is taking advantage of it is a different story.

Reply #454941 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Refs even up the foul count always! It's the time of the game when they call a foul that decides the out come. That pisses me of, 1st 3qtr u can do sumthin the bang minute left they call a foul that they let go all game and thats the game done and the foul count is even but they cost the team a win!

Reply #454952 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Are you well, SStuffer?

Reply #454953 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I agree with Cats4Life. It's not the even-ness of the foul count that matters, it's the timing of foul calls.

Reply #454956 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

Without proof making allegations over betting/cheating is just ludicrous.

Reply #454958 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"They just beat up on teams with over-the-back calls, body and hand checking and don't get called for it. Other teams play less physical because they know they cannot get away with it. Quite simple"

I agree, you are quite simple.

Reply #454960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Donaghy book is a fiction based novel. The guy is a compulsive liar with zero credibility.

For any winning bettor on a minor sport like NBL (which I assume a player or ref would be) if they wanted to bet in decent volume (I assume they wouldn't take the risk if they could only win a few hundred) the markets will move quite drastically.

Any suspect bets made with Australian agencies would be reported and investigated. It is difficult to get a decent bet on the NBL offshore although the Australian based bookies would see the large price move and copy their prices which would also set off alarms.

If this was happening regulary and the bookies were losing money hand over fist I assume they would just stop offering markets.

Reply #454969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most definitely. There have been so many suspect actions by players and referees over the seasons since sports betting was made legal in the mid 90s.

What is most alarming is that every other pro sport in Aus gives accreditation to bookmakers but not BA or NBL so there is no policing at all.

People who say well the markets would move a lot, cheating doesn't mean you are betting a large amount. Even if a player bets a small amount and manipulates the game that is still cheating is it not?

Reply #454972 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754