Isaac
Years ago

Exum to chat with Kobe, wants an early impact

''A reason why I signed with the agent I'm with is he has Kobe Bryant, and he's been through this when he came into the NBA,'' Exum said.

''I guess having him as a mentor who can guide me through what he did and how he became successful is something which is pretty good. I haven't chatted to him yet, but the agent said Kobe knows who I am and he said he'd definitely have a chat to me.''
''I want to go to a place that needs me, I don't want to go somewhere like the [LA] Clippers who have Chris Paul and be stuck behind him,'' he said. ''I want to go to a team which is going to want and need me, and hopefully get minutes in my first season.''
More at CBSSports

Topic #33632 | Report this topic

Jake  
Years ago

Is he physically strong enough to get decent minutes in the NBA from the get go? I cannot think of one team he'd start for to be honest.

Reply #455670 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am the same as Jake.. I don;t reckon he will start in the next season or even 2... his frame is under developed.

Reply #455671 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kevin Durant disagrees.

Also Michael Carter Williams, who has an almost identical build is having a pretty damn strong impact early on (17.3ppg)

Reply #455674 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

There is no doubt that he'll start and succeed, even at his current build. The Draft is late June for goodness sake -- he has plenty of time to further build the frame.

Seriously, how many people have access to this guy? We won't really know his progress until video-taped workouts and combines come along. And that's in several months. The guy is a real enigma and it's kinda frustrating.

Reply #455675 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The CBS article talks about him wanting to start, but I didn't see that mentioned in their listed quotes. Did he say it elsewhere? Nothing wrong with wanting minutes and a chance to get more if he does well.

When he says he doesn't want to be stuck behind Chris Paul, I don't think he means that it denies him a starting spot, but more because it would be hard to challenge for minutes and definitely hamstring starting aspirations in future seasons.

Were he behind someone like Nelson (Magic) or Burke (Jazz), he may not start, but at least he could press for a bigger role.

Reply #455678 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer your post sums it up. Well said.

Reply #455689 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Would love him to get drafted to the Lakers.....he'd be a great fit and learn from the best as in the NBA he could eventually play as a scoring 2 guard.

Reply #455700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he is predicted to go top 5-10. Where does it look like he will end up then at this stage?

Reply #455703 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Right now I'd say the following prospects will be taken above him:

Embiid
Parker
Wiggins
Smart
Randle

After that it could get interesting. Sacramento pick at 6 and thats a likely destination. Lakers pick 7 also likely. At this stage anyone after that would be unlikely to pass regardless of team needs etc.

So much is going to be reliant on how his pre-draft workouts go.

Reply #455720 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'd love being stuck behind Chris Paul. Who better to learn off? Players get injured, he'll have an opportunity to step up at some point.

Reply #455734 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Totally agree with AK's post. Could be a strong possibility that he'll get drafted by the Lakers. Not so sure if that team and the situation it is in atm would be the best place for Dante's development though.

Reply #455735 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If he is going to be a star bring in a great organisation is the key....nothing like getting drafted by SAC and being in a poor enviroment with a poor culture.

Reply #455764 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I would think Lakers would be perfect... Team of veteran, often injured guards. Plenty of learning. Plenty of opportunity.

Reply #455808 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Not to mention the increased scrutiny being in a big market.

Reply #455809 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The fact is at this point no one really knows. We haven't seen him play against a consistently high quality opposition for a sustained amount of time, ever.

He could be a starting calibre combo guard on a poor team in his first year or he could be an end of the bench guy. I don't see how anyone could say for sure either way with the competition he's faced.

From the small glimpses I have seen of him though I don't see a PG at all. He's a 2. Is someone seeing something I'm not? Is peddling him at the 1 a way to hide his lack of shot and strength?

Reply #455810 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I see him as a SG who can play some PG. I think he will develop into a Dwyane Wade type player. .

Reply #455813 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Evan Turner is a pretty good comparison for my money: no jump shot but good handles and similar build. Both guys obviously still young though./

Reply #455814 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

What's the deal, Mick? "The fact is at this point no one really knows." But now you're making a comparison.

Has Turner lost 10-15 kgs overnight? Turner actually bullies his way into the paint on drives; Exum won't do that.

The numbers say Turner attempts 6.1 drives per game and 5.7 pull-up jumpers (off the bounce) per game. If Exum turns out to be what DraftExpress/reputation indicates, I would expect the ratio to be more like 70:30 (as opposed to Turner's 52:48) because Exum doesn't shoot on-the-move very well at all.

Maybe to do with his lack of physical conditioning -- core strength, stamina, years on the practice court. Whereas Turner is a fit and strong dude who is battle-hardened and has all those things.

From the data on offer, I expect Exum to be more of a (obviously) Carter-Williams or Monta Ellis type offensively. Carter-Williams' drive to pull up ratio is 70:30, and Ellis' is 63:37.

Success rates are below:

Pull-up jumpshots
Carter-Williams: 36% EFG
Ellis: 40% EFG

Catch and shoot jumpshots
Carter-Williams: 44% EFG
Ellis: 50% EFG

The strongest comparison league-wide in so many facets is Carter-Williams.

I expect (actually, no, just hope) Exum to be a better catch and shoot guy than those two; a better spot-up shooter at least.

Reply #455820 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Exum also really reminds me of Batum.

Extremely similar shooting mechanics.

Very similar build.

Obviously, Batum is a little taller and plays the SF spot usually.

But Exum could easily have the same impact -- as a player who can do it all (score, defend, pass and rebound)

Reply #455862 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@SS: No one really knows but we can share guesses, projections and comparisons on the limited flashes we've seen of him.

My point was there are no reliable datasets on him at this point so all we have is the eye test to go on from a very limited sample size, so all we can do is make guesses. I think it is a bit more obvious with the other top 5 guys what their NBA careers will play out like, because we've seen them face steady competition every week under the spotlight.

The knock on Evan Turner coming into the league was his lack of strength (remember he is now 25, Exum is what 19?) and the fact that for an attacking guard of his size, his athleticism was only average (for the NBA..obviously off the charts for anyone else). Similar to Exum.

Reply #455870 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wouldnt say Exum lacks for athleticism as such, his movement is freaky. The defenders on two USA teams simply werent able to keep in front of him.

Reply #455872 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He is quick and fast, no doubt, with or without the ball.

I should have said his vertical / ability to finish above the rim isn't amazing for a top 5 pick of his size and position.

But again, I have barely seen the kid play.

Reply #455874 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, that's prob true, he has the ability to jump through tiny gaps and corkscrew his body but he isnt likely to jump over a centre.

The again, his dad had some troubles elevating to dunk and, you know, block dunks.

Reply #455876 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Mick, Turner has only gained 4-5 kilos since the draft and even then, was 7-8 kilos heavier than present-day Dante.

But it is all relative to position, and I do remember Turner's strength being a small concern for coaches and GM's.

But yeah, I think a crossbreed of Carter-Williams/Ellis pretty much sums up Exum's offensive game (from what it looks like).

Defensively, hopefully he becomes a John Wall.

Reply #455882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good is the NBL? Without Exum coming here to play in it there would be no Exum Jr. being born in Australia and repping us in future.

Oh an no hilarious Exum/Gaze dunk thread.

Reply #455937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754