Statsheet Stuffer
Years ago

Patty Mills clutcher than a six-speed Porsche

In the absence of Tony Parker, P Mills came up incredibly big for the Spurs. Helped force overtime and then went to work @ Washington today.

Straight beast.

Topic #33642 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

More clutch than a six-speed Porsche* F****d that joke didn't I...

Reply #455891 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Do we have confirmation of what mode he was in?

Reply #455893 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Hahaha. I believe you'd classify it 'BEAST MODE', Paul.

Reply #455896 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Triple dippin' errday

Reply #455897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bad shot patty

Reply #455898 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Smashed it. 23 points, 7 of them in the first OT. 6 rebounds,4 assists and an overall +11.

But you watch, he'll get only a passing mention in the highlights package - "Patty mills makes a 3, he had 23 points on the night"

Reply #455903 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Beast by 'Drej.

Reply #455907 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Wonder why he is not starting, noticed they have been going with Cory Joseph the last few games. Guessing Pop likes the spark he gives the team coming off the bench.

Reply #455908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How fortunate we were to see a player as talented as Patty Mills play in the NBL!

Reply #455918 | Report this post

Reggie  
Years ago

Great statline. I wish the recap video did him justice. All the ESPN recap video shows him doing is an almost handling turnover at the end of regulation, followed by a missed shot game winner in regulation. And then a missed 3 and a turnover in OT.

Reply #455919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty Mills once again in Full Beast Mode. Has he ever not delivered when given the minutes? This is getting rediculous.

Reply #455920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Off his nuts, man oh man.

Reply #455922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows how good the NBL is where he had a few bad games here.

Reply #455924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still at the time he left for China Mills was leading the league in scoring, Top 5 in assists and had the Tigers equal top of the ladder.

Reply #455938 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Mills is well suited off the bench imo the Spurs need the spark he gives them especially with their current run of injuries

Reply #455943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills kicking arse, amazing he struggled against Perth and New Zealand out here, but full credit to him for improving his game. Ready to roll for the Boomers this year.

Reply #455953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was constantly bitched about on this forum when he was at the Tigers for being a volume shooter, flopping and not being a winner. Now he is doing well at a level the pros on here respect, he's loved.

Reply #455965 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon, plenty of people defended Mills for what he was when he entered the league. A young, very quick and raw talent coming off significant injury. He has obviously worked very hard in the best system in the NBA. Should be a major payday and hopefully a long playoff run coming up

Reply #455982 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Wow, no one has bagged him out (much.... Yet).

Reply #455983 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

On a side note I'd like to see how he performs when sharing the floor w Parker versus when he replaces him. Cory Joseph isn't that tall either so it mightn't be a stretch to put mills as a starting SG.

Reply #455984 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think once his contracts done at Spurs he should definitely move onto somewhere which will better suit what he does. He has proven he can play, I think its time he got genuine minutes somewhere.

Reply #455989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look with the Spurs he is on a tight leash with Popovich who doesn't take any BS. When Mills was in the NBL he was the big fish in a small pond and do you think he was playing within the system, no! He was here to get his fill of points as the marque player but with the overzealous D found it hard to do so.

Reply #455995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard, as in leading the league in scoring?

Reply #455996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah you are right but I feel like if the D was toned down like it is this season he would have scored more.

Reply #455997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Mills kicking arse, amazing he struggled against Perth'

Credit world class defender, one Damian Martin for that.

Reply #455999 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Parker ruled out of tomorrows match v Nets. Perfect opportunity for Mills to shine

Reply #456000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone knows Mills dominated the bottom teams and was so-so against the top teams. But that was a long time ago, now it's about what he is doing in the big time and he's doing very bloody well.

Reply #456001 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Mills has improved out of sight the last year. While he was one of the best players in the NBL season he played he still had turnover issues and his shot was very good but not great.

He now handles the ball better than ever, is fitter than he was before and he is a great shooter. Got to give the guy credit for working so hard on his game.

Reply #456024 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Get back to me when he's clutcher than a 7-speed Porsche.

Reply #456031 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Well said AussiePride!

Reply #456032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His shot is much more consistent than when he was with Melbourne. I think his composure and ability to see passing lanes has gone through the roof too, although he did show that in two or three games in the NBL.

After a really poor decision to go to China, his decision to stick with the Spurs and learn was an excellent one and he is reaping the benefits of that and his hard work. Great to see.

Reply #456034 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The guy is in his prime, he's gotta cut ties with the Spurs after this season because they won't be contending for a title...surely Duncan's 67 year old legs will pack it in.

Patty has to get out, peck around a little in free agency and find a home where he can show what he can do on a consistent basis.

Staying at the Spurs system should really not be an option. He is just hitting the prime of his career and he need not be on the pine for it.

Not sure he'll ever start because of his lack of defense, but he can certainly be a consistent sixth man scorer like Jamal Crawford, JR Smith, Lou Williams (of years past).

Reply #456035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Reply #456036 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Reply #456037 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

So you'd rather he stay and get intermittent minutes for the rest of his career?

Reply #456040 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Great article here describing Mills contribution this season:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/2/5/5375230/in-praise-of-patty-mills

Reply #456041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@SS, Patty doesn't play intermittent minutes anymore, he averages 17mpg and is a part of the rotation. He has almost doubled his minutes from last season, who knows where they will be in 2-3 seasons time.

If I were him I'd stay in SA unless something very good came along from another good club. The NBA is full of average teams who do little or nothing for your game.

Reply #456043 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

As a bit of a critic of the way Mills played in Australia and at world events I give him a lot of credit for the way he is playing at the moment. Much more patient and refined. Hopefully he brings this style to the Boomers and doesn't become Jack Mills and keeps the ball movement and open shots going.

Reply #456064 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I'd also stay unless a awesome guaranteed offer comes along, ie something like 4 mil + per season for 4 or 5 seasons, else its too much of a risk imo, many guys at Pattys level fall out the league pretty quickly, so sometimes best to stay where you fit in and are liked by the coach/team.

Really he's making $1mil + per season, playing basketball alongside some of the best players around the world and being coached by a legend, he cant lose, if he can get a bigger contract with guaranteed money then great go for it, to me Patty is in a great position, where he cant really lose.

The only way he loses is if he goes to a team on say a short 1 or 2 year, 3-4mil per year contract, doesnt do aswell for what ever reason and gets cut and drops out of the league within 2 or years whilst in his 20s.

But having said that he has still made millions playing basketball and would still get a gig at worst in the NBL and would be earning at worst $150k for the next few years, so its hardly a losing position, for many people that is a dream job!

So what ever happens Patty pretty much is in a win/win position, its just a matter of risk vs reward and how much success he can have and money he can make, he basically cant lose.

So well done Patty on a great career so far and setting yourself up in the NBA.

Reply #456065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Patty was a different player last international season, even though it was short, in that second game in particular he was passing up early shots to get something better late in the clock, something he very rarely did in London.

Reply #456077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754