Isaac
Years ago

Lakers @ Cavs, Feb 5 - bizarre!

Oh dear. Lakers, decimated by injury, ended up so short of players that Robert Sacre who'd fouled out, was forced to keep playing. Chris Kaman also fouled out leaving the team one active PF and no other bigs.

I think Steve Nash, in street clothes on the bench, but not registered on the scoresheet, at one point disappeared to get into uniform in case he could hit the court.

Regardless, Lakers triumphed 119-108 and Steve Blake notched a triple double with 15 assists and three steals.

The Cavs went 5/33 from long range. The Lakers went 18/37!

Delly was +4 in his 23 minutes, with a line of 8/4/5.

A few commenters online said that any Sacre fouls were a foul plus a tech each time once he'd hit six.

Bizarre. Reminds me of the time all of the AIS fouled out except for Brad Newley (I think it was) and he had no one to inbound to. There's a topic on here about it somewhere.

Topic #33643 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Not good news for Aussie Kyrie. Wouldn't surprise me if they shop him before free agency is done.

Reply #455894 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Which would actually be good news for him, ironically.

Reply #455895 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Ok, probaby a dumb question but why was he allowed to continue playing. Shouldn't he have to sit and they have to play with 4 players?

Must be some rule that I don't know about??

Reply #455904 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

NBA rule is you must have 5 players on court. IF you can't, due to injuries and/or disqualifications, a DQ player can return to the court, but the team gets a technical (for playing a DQ player), and every personal foul that player commits is also a team technical.

That's why the record for most personal fouls in a game by a player is 8, set by Don Otten, Tri-Cities vs Sheboygan, 24 Nov 49.

Reply #455909 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

That's an interesting rule. I imagine it doesn't come up too often but it could be exploited, eg if your best player fouls out, then you could intentionally foul out/injure lesser players which would then enable the best player to go back on.

Reply #455911 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Thanks Mantis, anyone know what the rule is in the NBL for this situation?

Reply #455913 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Happened in an international years ago between Boomers and NZ

NZ had to leave 2 guys on court with 5 fouls to finish from memory

Reply #455914 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I recall a 1991 SEABL game that went to 4 OT and that game ended up 4 on 3.

Reply #455921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@BJF 5 on 2?

So is the FIBA/NBL rule you leave guys out there or can it be 4 on 3 etc?

Reply #455929 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Bizarre. Reminds me of the time all of the AIS fouled out except for Brad Newley (I think it was) and he had no one to inbound to. There's a topic on here about it somewhere."

Isaac, I thought in Australia that the minimum number of players on court was 2, and after one of these two players is fouled off the game is considered a forfeit?

Reply #455939 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, that's when it ended - no way to inbounds, so it was a forfeit.

Reply #455945 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Happened with one of Don Nelson's Golden State teams five or so years back. Refs wouldn't let him check a player back in (think it was Devean George), but after much argument and delay, Nelly was right, and the game went on with a fouled out player on the floor.

Reply #455948 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Isn't it a loss by default, not forfeit?

Similar happened in a GSW game a few years ago. Two or three injured players were suiting up just so GSW could suit the mandatory eight players. When all the healthy guys fouled out, Nelson (IIRC) tried to put the first foul-out back on, only to be told that his injured players didn't count as injured for the purposes of the rule, since they'd not been injured during the game. So he had to send two or three guys out there to stand around, fake an injury, and then come to the bench.

I don't recall who won.

Reply #455950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA is the only league a fouled out player can still be on the court. Similar to all its other special rules.

FIBA/college you can still play as long as there are 2 or 3 (not sure which) players left.

In Euroleague there was a game between Olimpia Milan and Real Madrid in late 80s/early 90s with RM left with four players. So it was 5 vs. 4 and went to 2OT yet Real still won.

LOL at Cavs btw.

Reply #456204 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:52 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754