Mick
Years ago

Wildcats @ Crocs, Friday night

The Crocs mailed in the first 90% of last time these two faced and still managed to get within striking distance in the last few minutes.

Perth are still heavy favourites though. They are better than Townsville at practically every position.

Plus, Townsville haven't beat them, home or away, in over three years.

If Markovic can catch fire, Townsville can get up, but that's really their only hope. They have only won games this year where he has been unconscious from deep and a step ahead of the game as a distributor.

Topic #33658 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Dennis really mixing things up with a starting lineup of

Norton
Pace
Crawford
Holmes
Conklin

I missed the game against wollongong, is this the first time he's trotted this one out?

Reply #456138 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

good game so far 36-40

Reply #456140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs up 50-47 with 8:38 left in the 3rd.

Reply #456144 | Report this post

Jodiechrist  
Years ago

nice comeback! Go Crocs!

Reply #456145 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

WTF happened in that last quarter!?!

Reply #456147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! Go Crocs!

Reply #456149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soooo Cats have shown they can be really shit, and Crocs have shown they can make it easier for the 6ers!

Reply #456150 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Massive opportunity for the Sixers to step up on Sunday and put pressure on those cats

Reply #456153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im depressed

Reply #456155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players and coaches from every team have been saying how even the comp is all the time. We just thought they were full of it, but turns out they are right!

Reply #456156 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

I'm getting a bit tired of the cats bullshit consistency. Ennis needs to stop dribbling the ball and do more work offensively and defensively off the ball. Redhage needs to step up his d too. We are missing knight so much.

Reply #456157 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

As a cats supporter I confess to being a little arrogant and expecting an easy win tonight. Credit to the crocs they played well and this year the league is very even. For us we need to find our form in a hurry I can't see us winning the title right now. We are missing Knight but we also have key players out of form especially Redhage.

Reply #456158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think this could be the 4th game we have started with that 5.

Reply #456159 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

I prefer this starting 5 until knight is back. It's not just the starters, the whole team needs to lift. Also look at the foul count.

Reply #456160 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Credit to the Crocs. They played their best game this season.

Reply #456161 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

In the presser, Damian Martin said "I was terrible in the first half. I think it was the worst half of basketball, defensively, I've played in a long time."

See, tonight's game got me thinking... Ennis is the team's star player no two ways about it, and he doesn't really give a shit about defense. Do the personal philosophies of the star player on a team in sports permeate through the group and affect their way of thinking? Because Perth are not the same defensive team they were in years past. Is it the coach, rule interpretations, I don't know. But maybe it's a case of follow the leader, and that leader is taking them down the wrong path.

I don't know, but maybe Gleeson needs to establish/reestablish the team's alpha dog on court, who should be Damian Martin.

Just the midnight ramblings of a guy utterly perplexed as to what he saw go on in front of him tonight.

Reply #456162 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

The game at PA vs cairns, I saw the defensive intensity on every cats player on court for about the first quarter. After that it didn't return to players like Ennis, redhage and others until OT. Not good enough. I hate players that don't play D. If Ennis thinks he gonna get to the nba playing like this, then he is fooled.

Reply #456163 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Cheers for that crocs. Great game. Now for Breakers to take out Sydney again. We're in for a great run to the finals NBL fans... What an outstanding turnaround this season.... Watching all the games now instead of just my homies.....

Reply #456165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The look on Trevor's face............priceless...

Reply #456172 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Perth were poor, especially in the last quarter, but don't forget this is a team that still leads the league, only a few days ago belted Melbourne away and knocked off Sydney by almost 50. Have a feeling they'll be ok.

Reply #456173 | Report this post

engelbert  
Years ago

Who was the clown in a read shirt and black shiny shoes on the wildcats bench? He managed to help crocs score 2 extra points without touching the ball.

The cats are on the top of the ladder in spite of him not because of him. His lack of court vision, understanding of the game and absence of common sense is glaringly appalling. His game plan is about as useful as tits on a bull.

Any similarity between him and a real coach is purely coincidental.

I challenge anyone to show me one good coaching move that he made this season. This guy couldn't run a bath, let alone a basketball team.

Reply #456178 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

I get that many wildcats fans a dirty about losing a game they thought was going to be an easy win, but credit where credit is due the crocs were great last night.

Of the last string of losses the crocs have found a way to fight back into a game after being down by 10 or more, then losing it in the last couple of minutes. The consistency of implementing Dennis's systems is starting to come for the crocs on both ends.

Proud of the way they hung tough when Perth got hot in the third and pushed out to a ten point lead and again 8 point lead in the fourth, before turning it around on the defensive end. Blanchfield was huge for mine, alley oop spoil on Ennis, tip dunk, tip in and one in the last, key defensive rebounds all effort stuff.

Reply #456181 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Just disgraceful, Wildcats. 26 to 9 last quarter, this team has no excuses for going to pieces like that.

Reply #456201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis/Beal at times will opt to drive all the way and attempt a contested shot against a double team when there is a teammate right there under the basket free. Jervis standing there naked was the best example. It is worrying.

Reply #456203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis needs a pull-up game, he keeps driving into help defence time and time again and then complains about not getting a call. He also needs to find his teammates on the weakside more often.

Reply #456205 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, that was me, didn't realise I was posting anon.

Reply #456213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats SD. Shame you were overlooked for the Wildcats as a HC.

Reply #456220 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

With all the stupid calls Ennis gets his way every time he attacks the basket, he should be putting up 40+ every night.

Ironically last night the one time he was actually fouled, he got called for a charge.

Gotta love NBL refs...

Reply #456223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hat tip to Shawn Dennis, coached brilliantly last night. Wish he was still at Perth

Reply #456241 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I need to get this straight. The Gleeson haters would rather have the coach at the bottom of the ladder in Perth and get rid of the coach at the top? Credit to Dennis for last night, no doubt. However one good coached game doesn't make a good season.

Reply #456242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson is clearly the best coach in the NBL because his team is first
- Anon

Reply #456243 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seems more logical than your theory 'Dennis is the best coach in the NBL because he beat Perth, once'.

Reply #456244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget Gleeson coached Townsville to playoffs 5 years in a row with teams no more talented than what they have now. Clearly he's a good coach. I can't understand the negativity about his coaching.

Reply #456248 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

His teams in townsville and melbourne were poor defensively. That's the knock on him from watching him for 5 years in townsville. His rotations are a bit suspect at times as well. Always seemed to be subbing out John Rillie or Brad Newley or whoever when they were getting hot. Having said that you could do a whole lot worse than Trevor Gleeson.

Reply #456253 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Townsville have the least talented team in the comp, Gleeson never had that in his time up north. I think some of the recent Gleeson bashing is well over the top though. Some people were fooled by Perth's fast start, but they were never a mile ahead of the comp.

Reply #456254 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Personally, I think the reason for Perth's hot start was the lack of scout on Ennis and motivation. I think it's a case of the novelty wearing off in a couple of areas -- Gleeson's ability to motivate and the reverence of a guy as talented as Ennis in the league.

Obviously the Christmas break did nothing but hurt them, maybe it's Gleeson's fault for not getting them up to play in the new year, maybe he let them get out of shape.

Also the Ennis factor was a real thing -- opposing players saw him as an NBA Player who's way better than them and would run and hide; I could see it in guys' body language. Also, players like Blanchfield know how to play him properly because the scout is getting easier by the game.

Also, individual form of Redhage is down.

Reply #456258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting. The last time Townsville beat Perth, Gleeson was the coach. The last time Townsville beat Cairns in Cairns (before tonight), Gleeson was coach. Just an interesting stat for those that love to hate on him.

Reply #456293 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754