Steven
Years ago

NBL players at 40

Seeing Steve Nash play today at age 40, it got me wondering how many players have played in the NBL at 40+ I will start off with
Lanard Copeland
Mark Bradtke
Leroy Loggins
James Crawford
Darryl MacDonald

Others I have missed?

Topic #33661 | Report this topic

bowtie  
Years ago

Ricky Grace must have been close?
I bet there have been a ton of them closer to 40 than 35 too.

Reply #456232 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Rob Rose

Reply #456234 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I forgot Andrew Gaze.

Reply #456238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Timmons like Copes must've been close when their corpses played for the 36ers.

Reply #456245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze's last NBL season was 2004-05, so he ended his NBL career a few months before his 40th birthday (July 2005).

Bradtke was under 40 (37) when he retired from NBL, as was Grace (38)

Mark Davis turned 40 during his last season

Closer to 40 than 35 when they retired from teh NBL would bring in a bunch of players, like Pinder, Willie Simmons? How old was Bruce Bolden in his last game? I really wonder how old was Jerry Dennard in his last season?

This made me wonder about players who played their first NBL game after they were 30? Rimas Kurtinaitis comes to mind but there must have been a few more in the early days of the NBL. Kurtinaitis was 33 when he played his season with the Suns and he played another 9 years professionally after that (outside of Australia).

Reply #456246 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Oh and Shane Heal was 38 when he played his last NBL game and Tony Ronaldson was almost 38. Al Green was about 38, Ray Borner was 38 (almost 39) and cal Bruton was 38 going on 39 at the end of his last season.

Reply #456247 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"This made me wonder about players who played their first NBL game after they were 30?"
D-Mac?

Reply #456249 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Matt Flynn.

Reply #456250 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Sorry. Spelling. Matt Flinn I think would have been the oldest player to suit up in the NBL

Reply #456251 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Admit to getting Bradtke wrong and Gaze (very close), as for players making debut after 30 there would be plenty, mostly imports for example Sam Young, Galen Young, Ira Clark and many more

Reply #456252 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Matt Flinn was only 38 when he suited up again a few years ago.

Reply #456255 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think john rillie was 40 in his final season as well (or very close to it)

Reply #456256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al Green.

Reply #456257 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

did Derek Rucker?

Reply #456265 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Rillie was close - 38 at the end of his last season
That surprised me. I hadn't realised he was already 23 when he started in the NBL.

Reply #456267 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

cj bruton wants to be another one of those "doesnt know when to hang up the boots" types

Reply #456277 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That happens when you're busy winning titles!

Reply #456290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Al was ACTUALLY in his early-mid 40s in his last season but was listed in his late 30s.

Reply #456295 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

winning titles is a team thing. atm cj seems to be the oldest guy on the floor for nz . and his impact is not like that of a sam cassell or a juwan howard. what he do this off season? lose wait . his shootings not there , hes not vocal enough during tight games. rather have boucher back for another 10 years of all out hussle & defence

Reply #456298 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You missed the point, he could have retired after each of the titles but kept going and kept helping them win more. At some point the run has to end but that doesnt mean he played too long.

During each of the past two seasons he struggled in the regular season and then came good in the playoffs.

Reply #456301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ is maxing out how long he can collect a pay cheque for.

Sixers look all over 40 today.

Reply #456346 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

His contract expires after this season and yes he does step up during playoffs but I doubt NZ will be in them this year

Reply #456348 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Steven, i dont think James crawford was 40 when he retired. Was close to it and was still wanting to play on but the cats decided on younger talent.
He was still as good as ever and lost none of his athleticism so could have played well into his 40's. As was darryl mac and loggins. Post should be what players were still as good playing in their 40's. Those three are the only ones i can remember.

Reply #456393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure JC was in his 40's when he briefly came out of retirement with Canberra in their final season not sure if Butch Hays was too though.

Reply #456396 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Oh yeah i forgot about that short stint in canberra. Not sure either if he was 40 yet at that stage

Reply #456427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

42 nearly 43 as it turns out.

Reply #456433 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

Help win by sitting his ass on the bench & not wasting minutes
CJ & Corletto having a slump of a season. if the shots aint falling play some damn hard nose defence. yall got plenty of fouls to give

Reply #456460 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Steven,
JC's contract had a lot to do with it to.
The new owners AV and Longley had a new top dollar man in Paul Rogers.

Reply #456494 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wonder if the NZNBL is an option for a season or two for CJ Bruton? (if he still wants to play)

Reply #456501 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

this is his 5th or 6th season at the breakers and im sure hes never played NZBL before?

Reply #456505 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I'm sure CJ's body needs the rest between NBL seasons. Hence, his retirement from International comp? However, when no longer in the NBL for best part of 9 months, I bet he could make a big contribution to the NZNBL. Also a coach too.

Reply #456512 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

recover = eat some sheep

9 months is still along time to sit & relax
not like NBL is 82 games. its barely 30 if you make the finals

Reply #456519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bowtie, that me true but don't forget CJ played a few offseasons in Puerto Rico after his Boomers retirement.

Reply #456527 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Whoops, forgot that one.
Was it one or 2 seasons?
He took over as coach halfway through one of them.

Reply #456532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2010 & 2011.

I think he was sacked as an import late in the 2011 season then a few days later the team sacked the coach and made CJ the new coach!

Reply #456533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754