Anonymous
Years ago

Who gets better College Development?

I watched Butler lose today and saw that Jackson Alridge only got 5 or 6 minutes and I was wondering what helps the good Aussie players develop more to prepare them to be a professional.

Back in 2011 playing for Australia U19's Alridge played the 3rd most minutes - http://latvia2011.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/11/fu19m/team/p/eid/5194/sid/5194/tid/239/profile.html (I know Mitch Norton got injured before the tournament), but compared to Mitch McCarron who only played 56 minutes.

2 and a half years on and the different averages are:
- Jackson Alridge - 8.4mpg 1.8ppg 0.5 apg 0.6rpg
- Mitch McCarron - 33.9mpg 15.1ppg 3.8apg 7.1rpg

Fair enough Mitch McCarron is playing in Div2 for Metro State and Alridge is at Butler in a tough conference, but surely after 4 years of just training and not playing much Vs the responsibility to win games of basketball and put up big numbers you have to wonder which player NBL teams would be looking at.

So is it work Alridge transferring before his final season at Butler if he has a shot at the NBL?

Topic #33680 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Great topic!

To start off with, Metro State is just as good if not better than a decent number of D1 schools and is currently ranked #1 in the nation in D2 hoops.

For mine, a player needs to choose the best situation for them and it does not always work out.

McCarron chose well - a school that has churned out a few NBL players. He has blossomed with opportunities to play and improve on court in game situations, albeit probably not against the standard of teams and players that Aldridge has confronted. But I guess you could say he is 'seasoned' and has had plenty of on court experience.

Aldridge committed to a strong program and has never really cracked it into the main rotation on a consistent basis. He does get to practice against top-tier talent every other day on the other hand unlike McCarron. Given an opportunity, with his talent, I am sure Aldridge can shine as a pro. He has stepped up and make big shots (sending a game into OT) for Butler.

It is always a tough one though. You could also argue a guy like Matt Hodgson who went to Southern Utah and played big minutes before transferring to Saint Mary's and playing minimal time is also a case in example.

Ultimately, it is all about choosing the right school, with the right coach, in the right situation to be able to receive opportunities and be able to take advantage of them. It can all go pear shaped quite quickly.

Reply #456823 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Good response LC

Reply #456825 | Report this post

wnba fan  
Years ago

butler are having a quiet season as well

Reply #456827 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I reckon if you put Jacko in a div 2 side you'd see him put up similar numbers to macca.

Reply #456834 | Report this post

RAV  
Years ago

In 4 games against Div 1 schools this year.
Mitch McCarron has average:
PG RPG APG STL
27.5 9.3 2.0 2.3

While Shooting 72.7% from the field & 80% from 3.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/69039/mitch-mccarron

For a guard, he is an extremely good rebounder & has great hustle.

I think Mitch is a better player than Jackson Aldridge & will only get better the more minutes he plays.

Reply #456852 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Some guys thrive just from training at that higher level while other need to play.

It is what suits each guy best and strong programs can become weak quickly with changes in Coaches, players leaving early etc so some of it all comes down to luck in landing in a stable situation.

Reply #456942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754