Anon
Years ago

U18 Nationals

I know its just under 2 months to go but anyone got any early tips on who the form teams/players will be?

For the boys, apparently QLD South beat QLD North over the weekend, VIC Metro 18s defeated VIC 20s team earlier on and NSW Country beat one of the Waratah ABL teams twice.

Read into those results what you will I guess.

Topic #33681 | Report this topic

Ashke  
Years ago

I really can't see anyone beating Vic Metro in the boys side of things, but the women's side is wide open with Vic Metro, Vic Country, QLD Sth and NSW Metro all well and truely in the mix.

IMO Vic Metro will just miss out on a gold medal game spot.

My dark horse in the girls side of things is for SA Country to snag a top 4 finish!

Let the hate begin!

Reply #456838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I will just wait and see what happens and critique the results after it is finished

Reply #456840 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep VIC Metro certainly have a gun team on the boys, will be interesting to see how they cope with the pressure. I think both NSW teams are in with a chance if they catch them on an off day

Reply #456844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa country will be competitive in girls.

Along side nsw and vic... qld south are very strong also

Reply #456846 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

hows SA met looking in both?

Reply #456853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Similar groups from two yrs ago but this time the surprises are fewer. Qld sth rely on speed and athleticism from a select few and will be negated by the big improvers.

NSW met will be strong, so will Vic met and Vic Cntry will be there abouts too. Big improvers will be NSW C but maybe Tassie will not make 4 and Qld nth are no good at all.

That is for the boys.

Reply #456859 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

NSWC boys winning gold last year as u16s obviously paves the way for a good nationals this year. You don't win gold with luck or by accident. The 2 NSWC teams played off in the final at Country Cup.

QLDS obviously have the McDowell-White boys who are arguably the best guard combo in the country.

VICC boys should go pretty well, a few kids that have represented Aus. They have great swings and bigs but may lack in the guard depths.

VICM may be simply too deep and good though.

Tahlia Tupea with NSWM girls may simply be too hard to stop. I don't think anyone else at the 18 nationals would have represented Australia at the u19 level or consistently played 10mins+ in the WNBL. NSWM also now have Dan Milisic, no matter your opinions of her, she is still huge and will provide rebounding and an inside presence.

Reply #456860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #456880 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SA Metro girls will go ok, not tall though so they will probably struggle to get to a medal.

SA Metro boys will be terrible. 9th two years ago, 11 last year at 16's and they have lost their best player from two years ago to the US. Plus lots of injury's. I would expect them to finish in the 9-13th bracket again. Just not enough talent or size to compete.

Havent seen enough of Country but I hear the girls may be ok. I would expect the boys to be similar to metro boys.

Reply #456901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the girls may fare a lot better if their SA Coach was doing more than merely 'showcasing' a couple of players...how this is deemed acceptable at this level is beyond me..

Reply #456904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My top 4 in no order:

Boys- Vic Metro, NSW Metro, NSW Country, QLD South (I can't see Tassie making the 4 even with Kyle Clarke firing)

Girls - NSW Metro, Vic Metro, Vic Country, QLD South

Reply #456905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country Boys are basically Mt Gambier this year. There's a 3/4 they will play 40 minutes each game, not sure if they will get a win or not.

Reply #456908 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

#456904, angry parent? Is JJ up and firing from behind the arc with the SA-M girls team?

Reply #456909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nope...haven't got a kid in the State program

just lamenting pathetic results due in part to 'showcasing' edict

would prefer a plan to go for the W's instead

Reply #456915 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Well apply for the job, get the job, then you can do just that i guess.

Reply #456918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW country boys team will need to improve from Tamworth to make top 4.
COUNTRY CUP is not a serious comp any more, which is sad but thats what some states are doing.
Vic metro will win by 30 with ease.
Tassie program a shambles I have been told

Reply #456922 | Report this post

Nix  
Years ago

^ True... although I think they will improve and are a dark
Horse for a medal. Jayden Hodgson, Kouat Noi and Sean Cranney have all been to aus camps and the core of the under 16 Gold Meal team from 2013 will move up this year. One of a few teams to watch IMO

Reply #456927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be an awesome tournament as usual. How many courts will they use and are they all at one venue?

Will the AIS court be used for the finals?

Reply #457071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say Vic met girls will take this one this yr, as for Talhia tupea,yes she's playing wnbl, but coach Karen dalton loves her and flames do not have a strong team evident from where they just finished, dalton was also the assistant coach for un19 Australian side last yr, saw her play at un17 Oceania she's not athletic at all infact did not stand out one bit compared to the likes of Alex sharp MVP and anneli malee both new cof e recruits. So don't think nsw met will be able to take Vic met not this yr. can't see Vic country women any where near medals this year not a patch on last years team from what I have been told, last years group should have won the gold In my books they were umpired out of that one only had to look at the foul count to see.

Reply #457942 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Irrespective of if the coach loves Tupea or not, she still holds her own and plays good minutes. Kristy Harrower isn't/wasn't athletic either, still gets the job done.

When you say you can't see CV anywhere near medals what does that mean? Just because they aren't as good as last year doesn't mean they won't be anywhere near the medals. They also aren't playing the same teams as last year either.

Basically with what Vic Met have to choose from, how easy they have it for travel, how easy they have it for talent depth, how good the competition that all of their athletes compete in weekly is and how much additional support they get they should win every year.

Reply #457960 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

What dates are the national 18's on thanks in advance

Reply #458000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@MRT - the nationals are on 10th - 17th April

I reckon a NSW Country vs VIC Metro boys final

Reply #458165 | Report this post

KLBALLER  
Years ago

I don't see anyone stopping the Vic boys again!

With four of the AIS boys in the squad hard to stop! Jocks rebounding ability Toms length Abi's hustle and Dejans scoring ability no one will be able to stop them

Reply #458465 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Scrub Qld Sth in the boys , the White brothers and one other have just quit the team. Have also quit the QLD NPP.

Reply #459729 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

How accurate is that re the White brothers Rex? Huge loss to that team and sadly the tournament.

Reply #459733 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Rumour has been going around Brisbane basketball circles the past few days, all three were not at State Practice last night and looked to have been replaced.
Word is that the Whites wanted to play Volleyball for their school and the powers that be in BQ/NPP refused, they quit everything along with Pulesea.
Not good for all sorts of reasons.

Reply #459738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that's true - wow!! That throws the race for medals wide open.

Reply #459740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old saying players are not bigger than the team, BQ have made a stance are they stronger enough to see it through!!!
Will a perfect football body only a matter of time

Reply #459754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to believe without getting any confirmation from the players or BQ... Wouldn't surprise me to see them play in Canberra

Reply #459757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The top 4 teams for the men's 18's in Canberra would have been Vic M, NSW C, NSW M & Vic C before this breaking news (rumour) in my eyes, regardless of who QLD S had in their team.

Reply #459772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Agree with the above anon, I would have fancied Vic Country to finish higher than QLD South anyway. Vic Metro, NSW Country and NSW Metro will be top 3.

Reply #459774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pressure on NSW Country, since they couldnt make top 4 Tamworth.
Qld south would have made 4 with ease, they did play off for gold at Tamworth.
If any one thinks they can get within 20 against Vic Metro go see the doctor!!!!

Reply #459780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rex is your info on the money.
Have all states announced teams, if so any surprises.
Should be a great nationals with plenty of depth and Aussie U/17 squads to come from it.

Reply #459881 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Can now confirm that 4 players have withdrawn from QLD Sth Mens team. White Brothers , J. Pulesea and another who is injured. I also believe that the Whites have left the National Program (BA) as well.

Team will contain 1 player from the team that got Silver at Tamworth in the u16s.

Is now a talking point on the Brisbane basketball forums and should not take too long before the finger pointing starts.

Reply #460029 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Wow, any early indications as to why?
They are pretty handy players...

Reply #460030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work Rex, keep us informed.

Reply #460067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leaves a big hole in Boys U17 Australian team! Any idea why the White brothers pulled out?

Reply #460128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #460147 | Report this post

NSWM basketball  
Years ago

I will not dismiss the NSWM young gun Sara ANASTASIESKA. She is named in the U17 squad too. Lefthanded fast and athletic guard, top rebounder and in combination with Tahlia Tupaea and Daniela Milisic it will be very hard to beat NSWM

Reply #460722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pools are out on BA website.

For the boys, looks like Vic Metro and NSW Country will finish top 2 in one pool with NSW Metro and Vic Country (assuming McDowell White boys don't play) to finish top 2 in the other.

Reply #461343 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

White boys are gone,done and dusted.
Playing SEABL for Brisbane this year, this may have something to do with what went wrong.

Reply #461359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think this is the start of a move to AFL perhaps?

Reply #461372 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

If the White boys see / saw a basketball future surely playing SEABL is / was a certainty. Big loss to our sport if confirmed.

Reply #461390 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Tas girls prospects just got worse. With 3 girls gone to Vic Metro (still can't believe they all made it or do I overestimate the Vic girls talent pool?)the most senior member of the team remaining - and almost certainly, their captain - broke her ankle this past week.

Reply #461393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be very surprised if 3 'outsiders' made the vic metro team...

Reply #461415 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

well be surprised because they did, how why is a mystery, they do go to school here now but they are still residents of Tasmania and have been all along, so they should be made to represent THAT state not This state, as better VICTORIAN players missed out on selection .

Reply #461451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find that amazing given the depth of talent Vic Metro has to choose from. They must be very talented players...

Reply #461454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing word that VICM big man and Australian U17 player Jock Perry may have broken his thumb. To be confirmed.

Reply #461746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After pulling out of the QLD South State team, hearing that the McDowell-White brothers (William & Darryl) are looking to play for the Northern Territory team if possible

Reply #461915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NT side already done, doubt your whisper. Need to be living in state for 3 months before nationals.

Reply #461917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have a 'guide' of some sort with all the teams in it? Some great talent at this years champs!

Reply #464427 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754