A
Years ago

Starting Teys over Creek, hey Joey?

-"I'm thinking we might go with (Brendan) Teys," he said.

Teys, 24 and a 188cm guard, is averaging just a shade over six minutes a game in 15 matches and hasn’t hit the court in five others.

“That hasn’t been because of form or anything and Teys would add defensively to our (starting) line-up,” Wright said.

“We could put Mitch in very easily.

“The way he has been playing would make that easy.”

But Creek’s injection from the bench when the edge has gone off the start of the game and where the referees are fast on the whistle - Frye regularly had two quick fouls in the opening minutes - also has its advantages.-

If Joey actually starts Teys over Creek, I would be disgusted, and if I was Creek I would start asking my agent to start looking around.

We can all clearly see Joey's got some person issues with Creek. Excuses like chemistry and the other crap he is saying is utter garbage, Creek's done the hard yards, he's got the results all season and deserves to start. I'd even say that he would be the first player I would pick from the entire squad.

I don't have any issues with Teys, 3 years ago he was a great shooter, but this year his defence and offence are shocking, I don't care how good his defence is in training Joey! The results are actually in the game mate.

Topic #33694 | Report this topic

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Was thinking about this myself. We all think Creek should start, and he should, but if he goes in the starting lineup where does that intensity spark come from?

Reply #456974 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Joshuapending, that's why Carter is in the team, BJ is a great spark, who is the Wildcats spark? They don't have one, they play the best five and if that five doesn't work they change it around. Tell me any basketball team in the world that uses a 'Spark player' to win games?

Reply #456976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It happens all over the world. It's not who starts it's who finishes.

Reply #456978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Creek should start, but dont overly mind if he doesn't as long as he plays 25+ mins.

If they dont start Creek, i dont want Teys to start, id rather the Schenscher C, Johnson PF, Petrie SF, or even Carter at SF would be better than Teys

But i also think we need to start Creek, and play him big, let him off the leash, else we could lose him next season, and i beleive that would be a huge loss, for me he would be the first id sign for next season, could really be a franchise player in the not too distant future.

Reply #456979 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Whether or not somebody starts means NOTHING from an actuality standpoint.

Players compliment certain teammates better than others, and optimizing chemistry is not "garbage".

Reply #456984 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'It happens all over the world. It's not who starts it's who finishes.'

Yes you are correct, but most good players coming from the bench are players who are proven to be better playing off the bench than starting after they were given the chance to start.

What I am saying is a player first must be 'GIVEN' a chance to start and show the team what he/she can do before saying he/she is better playing from the bench, especially if an opportunity is open.

Reply #456985 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Yes PlaymakerMo, we clearly witnesses this last week, when the 6ers played the bottom team, paying half the Salary cap to its entire squad and the 6ers were playing for a great chance at top spot, awesome optimizing chemistry??

Reply #456986 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

This thread really is getting a bit much.

Guess who starts on the pine for Townsville? Only the hottest guy in the league atm, Steve Markovic. He's become even more productive after the lineup adjustment.

The minute Teys looks out of his depth, Creek will come on.

Reply #456988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jermaine Beal, Jesse Wagstaff, Mitch Creek, Mustapha Farrakhan, Gary Wilkinson, Rhys Martin, James Harvey, Steve Markovic, Peter Crawford, Jamar Wilson, Cam Tragardh.

All guys who do or have come off the bench this year.

Reply #456990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Tiggs is another.

Reply #456991 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

A, there are just so many holes in your original proposition and follow up comments.

I would make this point: for the most part the 36ers are playing good basketball this season. Certainly well enough to be 2nd on the ladder in a competitive league (being last doesn't say a whole lot this season).

If you think Joey hasn't considered starting Creek, you're kidding yourself. Given this, clearly the coaching staff see a better option available, and there are plenty of viable reasons why Joey would decide to start Teys over Creek.

So as a passive observer, do you trust your own judgement over the professional coaches responsible for optimising the outcome of this team? Again, don't kid yourself.

I have to remind myself this every time I see Tommy Greer step onto the hardwood for tipoff.

Reply #456993 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

The ONLY question that needs answering is how early do you want Ennis to catch fire.. If starting Teys actually halts his brilliance for 4 or so minutes before Creek comes on then Teys has done his job and the coach has got it right.

Adelaide have some good defenders but I can't see anyone stopping Ennis, but I'd give BJ Anthony a crack as he has some go in him that could upset Ennis more than any other player on the 36ers roster.

Reply #456994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no issue with who is coming off the bench, BUT im starting to think this Frye situation was a big mistake. Change for the sake of change, Joey has panicked and welcome to the fans who wont settle for mediocre decsions, Mr Wright.

Reply #456995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Adelaide have some good defenders but I can't see anyone stopping Ennis"

Ennis had 13 points on 4/14 last time.

Reply #456998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess that's the coaches prerogative. If he's right he's a hero, if he get's it wrong he will have to live with it.
I guess that's why Joey is the coach and you aren't A.

Reply #456999 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Mitch coming off bench not a big deal. Starting your worst player is.

Reply #457000 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Keep playing those mind games

Reply #457001 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At the start of the game Ennis dribble into the guard who gets called for 2 early fouls and has to sit. Later, the refs don't call that all game long.

Reply #457008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why was Mart Clarke the coach? Preogative is a dangerous line to tread, never heard of a situationwhere a team is second on a ladder with 8 games left and a starter is cut for a bench player!

Reply #457010 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The way refs are calling games and giving away cheap fouls in the first few minutes, I think it's a good tactic to not have your best five on the court at the start. I think Mitch would be great off the bench, but after say 3-5 minutes. No point waiting until the 8 or 9 minute mark.

Reply #457015 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The issue is obviously one of team defence. Coaches aren't favouring players who miss defensive rotations and going by Clarke and now Wright underplaying Creek, Mitch must be one of those.

If Mitch doesn't like it and another team needs him more, then he should make a move (Wollongong could use him!). I'd rather have him on my team, but not if it means he's constantly missing out on minutes. Let him off the leash.

I think Brad Hill has been another in this category of player. Look at how frequently he's been pushed to the end of the bench as a season has worn on.

Reply #457018 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I completely understand chemistry and using guys off the bench to lead second units and all that, I really do, but if brendan teys is starting on the 2nd best team in the league im going to have an existential crisis...

Reply #457023 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

and what anon says:

"Mitch coming off bench not a big deal. Starting your worst player is."

nail on the head

Reply #457025 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Agree with Isaac, let him off the leash so we dont lose him.

Also agree with Mick, Teys shouldnt be starting, if prefer Mitch as 6th man role, start Schenscher and go big, or even Carter at SF over Teys.

Reply #457026 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I didnt think Mitch was that bad a defender?

Reply #457061 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

He's not, the 36ers are better defensively when he is on the court. Against Ennis, would you rather a 6'2, unathletic, skinny player in Teys or the 6'5, well built and athletic freak in Creek. I know who I would choose....

Reply #457089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYhID1eCcAAPBRp.jpg

Listed heights mean nothing. He's big enough, and Joey wouldn't risk it if he wasn't. The real question is, is he good enough? We'll find out soon enough.

Reply #457132 | Report this post

MANAGER  
Years ago

utter rubbish

Reply #458420 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Teys is the Sacrificial lamb to soak up the fouls. Better than Creek taking them... That's my take... Brenden Sponge, no offense but this is his role... Loads of players who would love to sponge off Ennis, Goulding, Tiggs and so on..... Creek hopefully sees the value.....

Reply #458498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754