https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TSbpyxIcgg

Reply #457272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a shit coach!!

Reply #457277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty clear to me that he was holding off his troops after the initial discussion and then someone or something provoked him, then it got physical by Joey. The question is what. I couldn't see it.
With all the players on the court after the game was over it will be interesting to see how the NBL handle that one.

Reply #457279 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

On first watch, Joey's little tirade was instigated by Gleeson. Looks like after Joey had separated the teams and had said something like "calm down", Gleeson then put an arm on Joey and maybe said something as well.

Reply #457283 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Not Gleeson, but the Cats assistant coach. He touched Joey (not sure why) so Joey took offence and punched him, then went back for more.

Reply #457286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All class, this season just got ugly.

Reply #457288 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

hold me back

Reply #457293 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Actually yeah it looks like Tatalovich in there. Doesn't seem like the kinda guy who'd relish a scuffle.

Reply #457294 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Ah, of course. Now I see the twitpic

Reply #457295 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think the Perth development player that Wright shoved was expecting a scuffle either. Seriously, Wright majorly embarrassed himself last night. I get that he tried to separate the pack and yeah, he took offence to whatever was said/being touched, but his reaction from there was the most embarrassing thing since Andre Brown's "punch" on Vukona.

Forget league sanctions - the club should park his arse for the next game.

Reply #457301 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

Its good a bit of passion thats one of the reasons i watch sport for..

Reply #457303 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well, you have "passion" and then you have "psychotic break".

Reply #457305 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Martin holding both of Ennis' hands to stop him swinging at Creek, about 18sec into the youtube link above. By the smile on his face, I think Creek woulda liked him to keep going.

Reply #457311 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

A coach being that immature needs to be suspended at least 3 games.

Reply #457315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive Ego!!! Not a good guy around such a young group.

Reply #457316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh c'mon guys everyone knows Joey is 'one of the boys', roll of eyes... this isnt good.

Reply #457317 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Last night's incident showed the difference in maturity between the teams.

Martin and senior Wildcats players did well to restrain Ennis etc.

Yet you look at the 36ers who had their old man head coach running around like George Forman and a young Creek inciting it.

BJ is no saint (believe me I have seen him crush peeps in town) yet he had the brains to hold the coach back (which he should never have to do anyway). Where was Gibson, Petrie etc?

Reply #457324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"BJ is no saint (believe me I have seen him crush peeps in town)" So you have witnessed him 'crush' violence, and told no one?
I wonder where the problem lies.

Reply #457329 | Report this post

arthur deigh  
Years ago

What did Steve Breheny get for the headbutt on Keogh?

Reply #457339 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It was funny we went from all the love of Valentine's Day to St. Valentina's Day Massacre and 10000 (only about 1500 left by that point) were screaming for blood.

That was a fun night.

Does anyone else think the greatest issue here was that Adelaide didn't even have the respect to stay around for the trophy presentation of the Cattalini Cup/Rogers medal.

I can't remember any sport where the losing opponent hasn't stuck around for the the trophy presentation and it feels like they shat on the concept and the prestige of the Cattalini Cup.

Should they be fined for that?

Reply #457342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line basketball players act tough because they are around other basketballers. In reality they play a weak sport and are pussies.

Reply #457344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon talk to Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson Jermaine O'Neal and Ben Wallace about that statement. At NBL level maybe the players dont throw punches like AFL and NRL morons when they are out and about, but at the NBA level, you'd struggle to make that statement.

Reply #457345 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I'm lost as to why anon "weak sport all players are pussies" is on a basketball site.

Reply #457348 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dont know how it goes in Aussie.

But in NZ if two guys fight and consent to it fair game to them. When i said crush i meant give them a good hit or two. I dont mean GBH.

Thats how it goes in NZ anyway

Reply #457353 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

To call yourself "The Situation" is an embarrassment. At least the coach showed some heart.... cant say that about some of the players. Hopefully this sparks the fire in the belly!

Reply #457354 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Please don't make fun of my username. That's really mean.

Reply #457358 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

proud: Getting Adelaide off the floor post-altercation was the only sensible move.

Reply #457366 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Joey didn't come out swinging, he was provoked when the Wildcats coaching staff that found it necessary to shove him when the dust had settled - funny how this has been rarely been mentioned.

Enough with the double-standards: professionals sometimes act unprofessionally. This shouldn't be news to anyone, as they are only human after all. Many of us would've acted the same in Joey's situation.

Players and/or coaches will be sanctioned. Move on with your lives, people.

@proud - I dare say having both teams around for the award ceremony wouldn't have been the brightest idea unless the 36ers wanted Wrestlemania to make an encore appearance lol

Reply #457417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love how all the negative comments are from Wildcats fans, how dare any player or coach have a go at your little fragile team!!!

Reply #457420 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It's been mentioned plenty. The problem is, his reaction was completely over the top for what actually happened to him. Provocation is not an excuse for punching the coach,then pushing development players around.

Reply #457421 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I love how all the retarded comments are from Sixers fans.

Reply #457422 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Joey didn't come out swinging, he was provoked when the Wildcats coaching staff that found it necessary to shove him when the dust had settled - funny how this has been rarely been mentioned."
It rarely gets mentioned because once you watch the actual broadcast instead of Hendo's horrendous-quality YouTube video, it becomes pretty clear that it never happened.

Reply #457427 | Report this post

Black Panther  
Years ago

Didn't Perth assistant Tatalovich get mouthy with some coach or player last year? I remember seeing something on NBL TV. Might have been Fearne? Can't quite remember the details. Recollection is he really pissed somebody off. Anybody else remember this? Wright seemed pretty calm until someone, it appeared to be Tatalovich, pushed his arm. Maybe some words?

Reply #457428 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I certainly didn't excuse Joey's actions... but we are quick to excuse Gleeson's, I see.

AFWIW there have been plenty of "retarded comments" from Perth fans too.

Reply #457429 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"but we are quick to excuse Gleeson's, I see."
WTF did Gleeson do?

Reply #457430 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What did Gleeson do??

Reply #457431 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Koberulz, I saw the brodcast on Ten this arvo and the YouTube video: it happened.

Reply #457433 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Are you confusing Gleeson with Tatalovich, the assistant?

Reply #457434 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Koberulz, I saw the brodcast on Ten this arvo and the YouTube video: it happened."
It didn't. Joey reached out towards a Wildcats DP, Tatalovich placed his hand on Joey's arm to prevent contact, Joey punched Tatalovich. There was no shove.

Reply #457435 | Report this post

/  
Years ago

Listen to the audio up loud and you can hear some of the argument

Reply #457437 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

You're right, Situation: I mixed up Gleeson with his assistant. I'll pay that one.

Koberulz, we're getting pretty bogged down in semantics at the moment - I see the same incident a different way. Best we don't do our best 36ers-Wildcats impression and leave it there.

Reply #457438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the arrogance of the some Perth fans thinking their team is totally blameless.

Reply #457469 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

Perth deserved it. I just couldn't understand why when Joey started swinging Perth didn't flop like they always do.

Reply #457480 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The way I see it, there was no need for Tat to put his hand on Wright. Wright was calming the situation and in the split second before he touched him, it looked over.

During the scuffle, lots of arms were swinging, grabbing holding, whatever so I don't know who did what. It looked like Ennis threw a punch but it didn't connect. I don't really know who else was swinging arms.

In terms of blame, if you want to ping Tat for provoking Wright then you have to judge Ervin the same way because he started the whole thing. The problem is though, provocation is not an excuse for either the melee, nor for Wright's reaction, so assigning blame is pointless.

Reply #457484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assigning blame has to be the start of the whole process. Never heard anything so ridiculous.
There were 2 clear incidents. Work out who started it and what transpired and apportion blame from then on with according penalties. The game was over so a melee during a game is far more serious than after the buzzer has sounded. Mind you anyone can be reported up until 25hrs after the game has concluded I believe.

Reply #457511 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"The way I see it, there was no need for Tat to put his hand on Wright."
Wright reached towards a Wildcats player. May not have meant harm, but Tatalovich's action is understandable. Wright punching him, on the other hand...

Reply #457529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I conducted myself in nothing but a professional manner"
- Joey Wright in the press conference.
Technically he is right. Boxer is a profession.

Reply #457534 | Report this post

previously  
Years ago

I wonder who started it.

Who is always involved in little niggling incidents, then cries like someone stole his lollies?

Who was there when the initial flame was lit?
Who was right there when Joey did his best Justin Bieber?

Wright and the Perth Ast Coach should be looking at bans. Would think that Adelaide could probably terminate his contract based on that if they wanted.

Pity some of the Adelaide players don't have as much fight and spirit in them as the coach does.
When the going gets tough a few of them go missing.

Perth Ast coach was smart to go hide behind Jervis.

Also should be noted that Perth outnumbered Adel play at home and access to reserves.

Wright and Adelaide embarrassed themselves.

Awesome promotion for the league. Perth crowd needed something exciting to talk about.
March 14 rematch - sell out????

Reply #457537 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Other than this game I'd say Joey Wright has been professional most of the time while coaching. Ervins an idiot for starting it wouldn't have minded him having a wah if Adelaide weren't pressing on the last play but they did so Hire was right in shooting the 3. Ennis should get a game or two cause from I saw he took a couple of swings but might get lucky. Joey definitely will after the photo with Marvin. As the way he reacted after Tatalovichs touch/push was ridiculous. I just don't like how Perths management are saying their is completely innocent though. Gleeson showed class last night as I saw him yell at Ennis when Ennis started reacting

Reply #457538 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Btw Joey would drop Tatalovich if both of them stepped in the ring but the ring is not on the Basketball court so bad luck Joey...
I agree with previously awesome promotion for the League on a positive!

Reply #457539 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

#511 do you even know what blame means? And do you not understand the concept that provocation is not a defense for what Wright did?

previously, what has perth having more players got to do with anything? Considering their extra players are DPs, the only impact that had is that it gave Wright someone else to push and shove all over the court for no reason.

Reply #457553 | Report this post

Mayor  
Years ago

I thought 36ers won the rolling maul hands down. (Rugby).

Reply #457556 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Joey: "I went in to break it up and I thought I did a pretty good job but their idiot assistant coach pushed me in the chest"

Very next sentence: "I'm going to tell you right now, you don’t put your hands on me"

Onya Joey. Apparently you are the only one out there allowed to put hands on others. LOL!

Reply #457565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank God this is the junior league cause professionals wouldn't. get it up to this would they?

Reply #457582 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Tat has come out and said that Wright touched him first, so he just brushed his hand back. That's when Wright snapped. Unfortunately for Joey, the video supports that.

Reply #457594 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-and-adelaide-36ers-await-penalties-from-nbl-following-postgame-brawl/story-fnhq5y0s-1226828130525

Reply #457599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ people within the wildcats think Tat is a joke. Marvin is on his dick though so he is protected species

Reply #457607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Why is Tatalovich a joke? Never heard of him until now so just wondering what he's like

Reply #457608 | Report this post

previously  
Years ago

Crap that an Australian league has an American assistant coach. Especially someone who hasn't ever coached a team before.

Reply #457613 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I agree. The Sixers should sack Brooks immediately.

Reply #457615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB used to coach the Stamford Grand junior Sixers program when he was previously a 36ers assistant coach, coached Woodville's mens team to a state title, been an assistant coach with Wollongong, coached Wellington in the NZ league and currently coaches Centrals women's team in the state league alongside his 36ers assistant's duties.

Reply #457624 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So?

Reply #457625 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Previously must be trolling. Who cares

Reply #457626 | Report this post

previously  
Years ago

Tatalovich from Indiana is the assistant coach.
College student manager. Spent years in NBA Video rooms. Never actually coached a team.

KB was imported to play, I have no issues with him moving into coaching.

Reply #457652 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Do you actually think you're making a point?

Reply #457664 | Report this post

previously  
Years ago

yeah I actually make a point, you normally just troll others comments. but whatever!!

Reply #457671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never understood why the Cats recruited a second assistant coach from overseas. or are they shtting that much money?

Reply #457786 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

@ Previously, what is your point?

Reply #457787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-and-adelaide-36ers-await-penalties-from-nbl-following-postgame-brawl/story-fni2uppb-1226828130525

Reply #457798 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If the league want to make a stand this really should be a season ending suspension for Joey.

You can't have the head coach running around like a crazy man trying to get involved in a fight! That sort of thing only happens in the crazy eastern euro/middle eastern leagues and has no place there let alone in Australia!

Other people were involved and should get there right wack to, but the vision of a head coach charging around the court looking for a physical confrontation in todays modern society is a disgrace and an embarrassment to the Club, League, Sponsors and all fans of the NBL.

Reply #457817 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I agree with Tiger Watcher. Need to make a stand because that sort of behavior is not what sponsors are looking for. Great for ticket sales...

Reply #457820 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Personally I think it has all been blown way out of proportion. If nobody got suspended from all of this I wouldn't be disappointed or shocked.
The NBL should look at this as a way of grabbing some bonus cash for a kick-arse end of season party.

Reply #457821 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'I didn't know adelaide had a basketball team.' i heard somebody say,reading the front page of the sunday mail.'Now everyone knows.'
Triggered a strong team performance on sunday

Reply #457827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers back on front page of the Sunday Mail.... Featuring on the commericial evening news again, talking it up on radio, couldn't get this interest being 2nd and biggests crowds for years, had to be a bit of pseudo biff to generate interest. We are a footy town after all......and thats going to be boring with a 60 point wacking of Port by the Crows... Bet we fill the house the rest of the season....... thanks cats ..... Thanks Joey........ Know you are frustrated you went that far but hey, its all good and the start of creating a new legacy is well on its way. Hope you stick around Joey, we back you. Oh and glad you and Ervin are chummed up again, great game Sunday.....Might need to give Anstey a tip on how to fire up his boys.... Done.

Reply #457829 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

'I didn't know adelaide had a basketball team.'

This is the sort of ignorance I cant stand from people! Whoever said that really doesn't care and nor would we (basketball fans) care in return. You don't need to make a front page story to know that there is a team in Adelaide. This person probably doesn't have the internet, or perhaps lives under a rock. You don't have to have the sport thrown in your faces like the media does with the AFL does to know that it exists.

I know that there is an Adelaide baseball team, and I don't live in Adelaide or care about baseball!

Reply #457830 | Report this post

Nelson P  
Years ago

Everyone needs to get over this, its sports, tempers flare, move on..Personal attacks on those involved is gutless. We see this often in other sporting codes,yet we forget and move on...Love or hate him, Joey is a great coach and has helped many young Australian ballers..So what he lost his cool once, nobody was injured...

Reply #457835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bringing the game into disrepute should be laid on every player that entered the mallee at the very least. Let's see what the outcome is and let's hope it's sorted quickly.

Reply #457839 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754