sharod
Years ago

Can the teams in community model thrive?

As captioned, lets have a discussion about whether the Hawks, Crocs and Taipans can ever achieve the top two spots or even winning the champ under community model?

Topic #33712 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Is thriving only defined by on court success?

Reply #457334 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Of course, Cairns are absolutely stacked and whilst nobody quite knows what the team will look like next season, you'd think with the development of their youngsters and the familiarity of being around each other for a long time that they should be title contendes if not favourites next season.

As for Wollongong and Townsville, it's funny but I feel their biggest weakness is a back up centre, if they can recruit more rim protection in the off season then it's hard for us not to think that either of the teams could be contenders.

In this current league the best teams win the games they should, so if any team can do that then they are top 2 calibre.

Reply #457338 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Cairns are spending the full cap. Theyre under achievement on the court has nothing to do with their ownership model

Reply #457373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not in the W column.

6th 7th & 8th respectively.

Reply #457459 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but as mentioned above..townsville and gong are spending just above 3/4 of the cap.

These teams are essential because if you think an 8 team comp is bleak...a league with only capital city teams is gonna get really boring really quickly.

Reply #457473 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Cairns is more profitable, apparently (and correct me if im wrong) than every team not in WA or NZ

Reply #457474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that is part of the equation - will the model thrive if 3/4 of the cap is used and the losses pile up and fans don't show up like in T'ville and Gong?

League is going back to the past where the capital city teams were always at the top propped up by regionals who spent less. 2000s were more equal but it's back to the Big 5 (replace original member Brisbane with Auckland), a huge gap then followed by regionals.

Reply #457475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

propped up on the ladder*

Reply #457476 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Mick, I'm not sure your claim that the Taipans are spending the full cap is correct. My undertstanding is that as recently as last season they were spending around 85-90% of it and I'd be surprised if it was much different this season.

As for the Taipans being profitable, I doubt they would be very much in the black, particularly given the drop in attendances this season. They did snare an extra sponsor in the off season though in the form of the Cairns Airport.

Reply #457586 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Can they thrive, yes they can, especially so once we expand into the capital cities with a second team scenario...

Reply #457588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick the expert here on everything and even has inside knowledge of Cairns' salary cap. Impressive.
Cairns aren't spending the full cap and make a small profit.

Reply #457590 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

My question about the Community teams has always been what happens during that one bad year. So the year when the major sponsor goes broke, or crowds drop off and all of the sudden instead of posting a small profit, you have a medium size six figure deficit? All of the sudden your reserves are gone and you face the next season with nothing in the bank.

Reply #457603 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Great Question HO, so glad I don't have to answer that but I'm sure there are people in the head office that hopefully have solutions.

In regards to Cairns, I've read that they signed Cam Gliddon for 3 seasons. If we fast forward to when he is off contract (2015/16 season) you'd have to think his price would have escalated and Perth will show interest in their home product and we also have 4 teams wanting a marquee Australian. Although Gliddon seems loyal it will be interesting to see how Cairns go about trying to resign him

Reply #457718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple really. There is no major sponsor. There will of course hopefully be a naming rights sponsor but there aren't that many of them nowadays. Never factor in crowds and away you go.
read what the Canberra people have said and the Tassie people have said. No one is seeking full government support or backing. The community modal can work and if it's run correctly unlike Townsville, it can be long term sustainable.
Take away the exorbitant rents costs of venue hire and all of a sudden it is affordable.

Reply #457727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cairns paid rent they would be making a loss.

Reply #457781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

proud - just FYI Gliddon is out of contract at the end of this season. The third year is a player option.

Reply #457991 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754