Skud
Years ago

Why don't we use Schenscher properly!

Watching the last two seasons I struggle to understand why we don't use Schenscher properly. He is a post up player who backs into the basket for a small layup or hook shot. He has been successful at this his entire career!
I know we use more of a running game this year that works for DJ bit surely we should adapt to use Schenscher better. Looking at his numbers this is a player who has dominated some teams with 30 point 20 rebound games.

I know he is older but I don't understand why he isn't played to his strength.

Topic #33715 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Skud I know I know, its been frustrating to say the least. I knew we had a coach with a minimal tactical mind when he refused to start Schenscher against atleast the Kings against Ogilvy... Look back and its Ogilvy the only other true centre in this league thats fit who has dominated the 6ers early in games.... when Lukes on the bench.

Reply #457340 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He is the tallest player in the league. At least just instruct him to stay on the weak side post for the rebound.

Reply #457346 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I understand Joey is until using a run and gun style and that's fine but you don't have to sprint all the time. When the opposition score you can run a half court set, get the ball down to Schenscher and let him work. He isn't a terrible passer and still deserves a double team. Adelaide's issues are that Cadee, Johnson and Creek are the only players that think their three will drop (I know funny right).

The reason they won't utilize Schenscher properly is because of how poor their outside game is and that he fills the lane in which they want to be free so they can drive to the basket.

Schenscher would be great at Wollongong or back to Townsville but would he rather retire than play elsewhere again?

Reply #457347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will play until the wheels fall off... so thats not an issue! He just doesnt get the ball enough, he is an excellent passer and when he gets it on the free throw line and below, hes more likely to find the open guy for a 3 than become a black hole ala DJ the previous several season under Clarke and his little rat...

Joey seems very stubborn as most coaches are to change or rectifying things, dont expect Luke to become the influence that he can be any time soon, and its fucking shame quite honestly.

Reply #457349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as a Schensch fan as I am I think it's gotten to the point these past two seasons that he really doesn't 'deserve' to be used properly.

In 08/09 with the 36ers he averaged 17 & 11 and outplayed Chris Anstey all three games against him, then was an 11th hour signing with Perth in 09/10 when he won a title followed by two very good seasons in Townsville.

Last season he looked a shell of the player he was right from the get go and has looked timid, weak & downright unco ever since. Watch him closely and see how easily he gets bodied out of position both offensively and when trying to get a rebound.

It's a shame because he's a reasonably smart player and is the best passing big man in the league but he's just no longer starting material.

Reply #457364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had a heavily interrupted pre season last season with some injuries that weren't heavily spoken about in the media. Then he had THAT fall against Sydney and played with technically a broken back before shutting it down. He does 'deserve' to be used properly, because as fans we DESERVE to have a good team. Luke has never had athleticism nor required it, but when he is utilised he makes the game looks awkwardly easy.

The 6ers sadly have bigger issues now than the 'Is Luke being used properly' types. The 36ers just downgraded themselves, similar to what they did last year with bringing in that scrub Scotty Christopherson....

Its simple, dont change for the sake of change, by all means cut the likes of Frye, BUT do it weeks ago and bring in a stud. His salary couldve been used in full to pay someone for a playoff run. Lazy decision to bring in a guy who just happens to be in Aus at the time.

Reply #457379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the last part the axing of Frye for Rhys Carter was mind boggling. Sure bench Frye and start Creek over him (or Teys!) but don't get rid of him and replace him with a much smaller, unconscious chucker like Carter who's never even shot 39% from the field or 33% on 3pts once in his career.

Reply #457393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher is part his prime.

Reply #457453 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon 457379 - I'm pretty sure Schenscher didn't play again last season, after the fall in early January. So he wasn't "playing with a broken back" after that fall

Reply #457540 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Schenscher had plenty of post up opportunities against the Wlidcats yesterday. He was immediately double-teamed on most of them, which was very effective as the Sixers don't have the spot up shooters to make them pay.

The one shot from the post I recall him taking was off-balance after an up-and-under move and shot fake, which resulted in little more than grazing the rim.

Even with his height, Schench is an average rebounder and finisher. Playing him exclusively in post ups and around the rim has disadvantages with his lack of physicality and athleticism.

Personally, I loved the high-low action between Big Red, DJ, Peach and BJ earlier in the season, but the Sixers seem to have gone away from that. Schenscher is a good passer and mid-range shooter which made him an ideal high-post player.

I guess that I'm not defending Wright's strategy as much as I disagree with the notion that Luke is a pure low post player. Those days are behind him, and perhaps even the better part of league in general.

Reply #457541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he is shit

Reply #457542 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think he was Adelaide's best player against Perth, well atleast in the first half it seemed (Ervin, Gibson and DJ had 4 points between them).

Does anyone think with 4 new clubs coming in 2015/16 that Schenscher may get a starting gig there or is his career winding down way too quickly for anything like that ?

Reply #457576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did play, i know for a fact.

Reply #457630 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

He won't get a starting gig in 2015/16 but with expansion he may get a bench spot somewhere.

Reply #457770 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

With expansion teams the chances of Luke getting a back up spot are high. Would take him over Ben Allen or Shane Harris Tunks or Russell Hinder.

Reply #457772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reminds me of what was mentioned in another thread re: local players. Schenscher is a prime example of a player like many others in the league who are coasting, chilling out and cruising to collecting an easy paycheque. Where else will an NBL team get a local of his height? No competition to oust him so there is no motivation.

Reply #457783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754