Anonymous
Years ago

36ers suddenly in genuine turmoil, please explain!

As a season ticket holder, I hated the Marty Clarke era and knew change was required. Little did I realize how great a job the 36ers were going to do of flipping a league joke of a team into a title contender. But after a few losses to the Kings and amongst others, it seems the 6ers or the coach have had a complete panic and shutdown an import, who sure wasnt performing great, BUT hadnt been all season. I need to understand the timing cutting the starting small forward for a over the hill 4TH PG! If Frye wasnt good enough, cut him 6 weeks ago, and bring in a DLeaguer... but now, we have gone from a title contender to a weak opponent all in the space of a few games! Can someone please make some logic of this, as im perplexed on how quickly we've stopped playing defense in KEY games and become basically a shit team...

Topic #33716 | Report this topic

proud  
Years ago

I'd love to mate but I'm enjoying your overachieving team come back to the pack.

I don't think your a finals team and I haven't felt that all season.

Sorry I can't answer why your coming back to pack but 36ers intensity isn't there.

I'd use BJ Anthony more as you need his agressiveness and intensity as Schenscher and DJ have no mongrel in them.

I think Cadee basically feels like he's lost his identity, he dominated when Ervin went down and now what?

I'm not sure how big an issue this is but during the Wildcats game both teams were rotating players at the rate of knots. Carter would come on for a minute and go off for 3 and come back on for a minute...

Reply #457352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im talking more from an Organization making poor decisions in relation to timing of things and explain why one player is out and why we require another in his replacement.

Also playing BJ more is a death wish, he's rough but has no polish or athleticsim, so you lost me on the in game coaching stuff. Ill take DJ's offensive domination most nights over mongrel and Schenscher is a smart baller, neither need mongrel to be winners. Cadee probably feels like he has had it all happen again under Joey. How can you feel like your work is being appreciated when they cut a small forward for another point guard that you already feel you are doing the back up job good enough.

As a fan, i just feel like I need a please explain on a few things, Silver Fox anyone, lets us know why 8 games from the playoffs and all this erratic change! The Cats really arent that good a team, i dont care what result came up last night, they are beatable and the 6ers WERE built to take them down.

Reply #457355 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

I think Frye going was the move to make. They gave him as much time as possible to find form after the injury but never happened. I saw him preseason and he was great but now a shadow of that. Now hopefully we get better defence and outdide shooting which the Sixers need.

Reply #457357 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

We are 2nd on the ladder. Sure we have lost a couple of games but we will bounce back. Proud,.......you have no idea. To say we are not a finals team showd you have no idea about the game. I tought school holidsys had finished?

Reply #457360 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Adelaide will still make the playoffs. They're just not playing like a finals team right now.

Reply #457368 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

2nd on the ladder... with an anchor.

Reply #457369 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

You overachieved. Your roster isn't really that great. You have one 31 year import who is playing very average in a key position. You have no perimeter threats and are very predictable on offense. You will be lucky to win another game this year

Reply #457426 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Opposition teams have observed us in 2013 and now know us in 2014. We have not adjusted or changed tactics yet, hence the little rough patch we're having. My personal opinion.

Reply #457432 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Statistically Adelaide haven't been the unequivocal 2nd best team this season. Winning more than our share of close games has been misleading.

With Ervin regressing, the team making a (seemingly) sideways move in swapping Frye for Carter and experiencing significant adversity over the past few weeks, the real season starts now.

Reply #457436 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Worst case scenario they finish 4th but I think they will end up 3rd. They need to move on from melee quickly and find form on the court. Ervin and Johnson played like crap last night not a good sign from your best two players.

Reply #457441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright decent coach but not super great. Was spoiled with talent at Bullets and Blaze now half a season in without a huge bankroll his tactics have been found out but he doesn't have the horses to compensate.

Reply #457456 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think some injuries slowed them up; replacing Frye with Carter will take a while to shake-out as well. If it does, will take some creativity to answer the peculiarities the team imbalance will produce (the small forward position weakness).

Reply #457460 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Calm down. I don't think we have gotten worse I think other teams have stepped up. We have had a good season and personally finishing in the final four after last season is a good improvement.
The games we have lost our shooting percentage has changed and teams are stopping the running game we destroyed teams with, small adjustments can fix this again.

Reply #457500 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

why is this turmoil? its turmoil if over the salary cap, its turmoil if the club was ran unprofessionally, its turmoil if the nbl sanctioned players n club for off/on field misdemeanors. none of this has occurred!

so....if by losing 2 away game means turmoil, check the dictionary cos right now, its a gross exaggeration to the highest level.

Reply #457505 | Report this post

fill smythe  
Years ago

Sadly, I reckon Lawsy is pretty close to the mark.
Must have someone who can consistently drop a 3, otherwise we're always playing catchup to the rest of the teams that can.

Reply #457543 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

I see why we cut Frye for Carter, we need more perimeter shooting. Frye had become almost a liability on offence, his lack of a jump shot had now become known around the league.

Yes we are stacked with guards but Gibbo is not consistent from outside, Ervin either. Cadee has been struggling all year so maybe Carter can be a solid shooting spark of the bench.

With the improved play of Creek, Frye became expendable. It's a ballsy move but one I think can pay off if we can fix the offence. The offence lacks dribble penetration, someone who can really drive and dish to the bigs underneath. Carter is pretty good at this, Ervin is more of a drive and shoot guy, same with Gibbo and Cadee.

Reply #457554 | Report this post

Pauline Hanson  
Years ago

Please explain

Reply #457567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Max Power, if you are hanging you're hopes on Carter being a decent shooter you are dead wrong.

Reply #457572 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I like both DJ and Schenscher but when they are losing they aren't exactly known for their hustle play and would rather stand back and watch team mates jump on a loose ball or help on the weak side, that's where I think BJ Anthony is value.

In case you don't understand what I meant earlier Adelaide are NOT a good team, have had good games like spanking the Breakers at home but they have been a confident team and confident teams can win anywhere and want to keep playing.

Adelaide have won 4 games that I feel they should have lost this season (2 against Cairns, NZ and I think it may have been the hawks) those wins have given what is basically the same squad that's sat at the bottom of the ladder for 3 years.

Ervin is an improvement and DJ is better and Creek is better but the rest of the team have either regressed, stayed the same or in Gibbo's case, are so bloody inconsistent that you can't tell how good they really are.

Adelaide should make the playoffs and that will be proof of their overachieving and they can make a grand final if they can play fast paced games on their terms but if they can't then maybe the poster above is right and they won't win again this year.

Reply #457574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is like the bloke you meet and think he a good fella then ever time you meet him after that you relies you were wrong, he a dick!

Reply #457596 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Yep, Proud and Lawsy, must be overachieving after beating the Tigers after all the travel. When we win the next 3 at home can't wait to hear your excuses

Reply #457660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I started this topic and WOW how glad I am, that it now seems a little silly! Genuinely felt the wheels had fallen off, and although I dont want to speak too soon, the win over the Tigers in every way speak volumes of this roster. Champion teams win big games like this on the road. Well done to regroup!

Reply #457673 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754