Anonymous
Years ago

Woodville v North u18 Div 1

Anyone have any info about the Woodville v North game in u18 boys at St Clair today? Apparently the game was called off after a brawl where punches were thrown. North get the win because they were in front.

Topic #33723 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

Didn't see any punches.some open hand stuff.very niggly game.

Reply #457631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A game was called off because of open hand stuff and it was niggly? I doubt it. Games don't get called off without good reason. Must have been bad.

Reply #457632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockets player swung a close fist punch along with the entire game of throwing elbows and pushing woodville players everything time woodville started to make a run north continued to get dirty

Reply #457634 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

North always in control.The niggle was from Woodville bench players that don't like any contact .move on

Reply #457651 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

But isn't basketball a non contact sport?

Reply #457654 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

that's netball.

Reply #457656 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Basketball, I believe, is better described as a
'non-tackling sport' rather than 'non-contact'.

Reply #457692 | Report this post

Popped a Molly  
Years ago

wasnt at the game but am not surprised to hear something like this occuring involving the under 18 north adelaide team

Reply #457701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game has gone to shite

Reply #457705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Popped a Molly, you have just hit the nail on the head.

Reply #457712 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

spot on Rock."pooped a lolly" should learn to relax a bit

Reply #457750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We had the following game and saw the whole thing. Woodville bench on the court, Al had no control over them. Number 31 from Woodville just lost it badly. A bad foul on North player who pushed a person in the chest. I think this out of control behaviour is creeping into the Woodville club. I think it is two if their more experienced coaches who appear to be pushing this style

Reply #457761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We had the following game..."

No you didn't. Stop lying.

Reply #457762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes we did

Reply #457763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think you'll find a Woodville player was hard fouled not a north player, then a north player came in and threw a dog punch that's what escalated it! Guess the video will show it!

Reply #457848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it will - I have seen it!!

Reply #457852 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If only BJ Anthony was there to hold people back

Reply #457858 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Jack, I fear for some of our juniors out there, what are they learning>?

It's okay to shove someone or elbow them, even a slight hip and shoulder now and then, all good as the referees keep warning players for this type of contact.

Unfortunately, after a while it will result in this type of reaction, especially when another team starts to do the same or stand up for themselves.

I have no idea what happened here, or the history of either team, I am just cominting on the behaviour as it is a pattern not exclusive to S.A. hoops...

Reply #457859 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bear, I am with you on this. Basketball is a low contact sport, low contact. Some contact is to be expected and so a foul is called if the contact is unacceptable. Hard fouls designed to put players off their game should be called as unsportsmanlike fouls by the ref and let's not forget the refs need to be in control of the game.

If the game started to get niggly and ugly I believe the best thing to do as a ref would be to talk to the coaches and teams at the quarter, or a time out, to cool things down. If the refs weren't issuing warnings then they need to. A few example foul calls never go astray to get kids to pull their heads in. No one likes an ejection, but it can cool things down. If the coach has concerns about biased reffing and that started the niggling, get the stadium manager involved so they can have a chat to the refs and watch the game.

Was it Ron Burgendy "Gee, that escalated quickly!"

Games that get called off are not a great advertisement for the sport. The refs need to be in control and the coaches need to support refs by setting a standard for their players to follow.

Reply #457864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The trouble I see every Friday night is the lack of umpiring under the basket, way to much physical contact is happening and inconsistent calls or none at all. The players are frustrated. The best way to stop it is to teach players with the whistle, but our umpires are average at the moment, and usually out of position. I saw a game at Pasadena Friday night U18 Boys where the Sturt coach stood from his seat and questioned the referee and to my amazement the ump changed his decision, What sort of message does that send the players?

Reply #457865 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Well ,post the video?
Then we can all say
"Yes it will - I have seen it!!" as well.
Rivetting

Reply #457876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The video is in the hands of the people who need to see it. Post a video of U18 kids on Hoops - no won't be happening.

Reply #457877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think it's 2 of their more experienced coaches pushing this out of control behaviour... Who would that be?

Reply #457880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Threw out the entire game the woodville coaches continued to tell the ref's watch the elbows and pushes in the back and was ignored until it was too late for both ref's to claim 15yrs of experience they seem oblivious to Wat was happening instead of calling fouls on those plays or chatting to each team at a break in play to say to cut it out and next time it will be a unsportsmanlike foul.

Reply #457882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a fair bit of whinging - thought Woodville were better than that? Guess not.

Reply #458006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon#457882 - I was watching the game and the only time I saw the referees talk to a player in a break was during one free throws, where it looked like he was talking about an armbar - not quite sure how you heard what was said since there was no seating on the endline at St Clair.
Sounds like you are just fishing for a pat on the back because you had a whinge for the team.
You had more fouls called for you, and all the quarters had more than 5 fouls per team - and you say nothing was being called????

Let me guess, you were the one parent who would have come over at the end of the game to bag the referees?

I thought that was some of the best reffing I have seen in ages - the referees rewarded players for being verticle and did not bail out the bloke who jumped sideways into a pack looking for a foul (such as the little red head kid from woodville who seems to have problems jumping straight up, but would rather jump into a pack or sideways at somebody and than throw a tantrum when nothing got called).

And finally, maybe you should learn the difference between "Threw" and "through" before you start typing in a forum - you failing english is UMPOSSIBLE!!!
#grammarpolice

*note, you said woodville coaches were yelling at the ref - so you want them to tech foul them because there was two people from the bench talking at the refs as per the rule book - you my friend are a knob

Reply #458049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know what game some of you were watching.
Umpires had no control from the start. How is it that if you swear after getting elbowed you get a tech but if you punch a player, the game gets called off and the player doesn't even get reported. Yes 31 did go off, but only after being punched in the face.

Reply #458084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why have a dig at someone's hair colour? No ones mentioned what nationalities were involved in the game so why bring up his hair colour to have a dig?

Reply #458085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he said, they said etc etc. Whatever happened we may never know until this alleged video is seen. What I heard as an observer is that the game was abandoned due to the Woodville bench entering the court to escalate the situation. Why didn't their coach stop this!

Reply #458093 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

sounds to me like a lot of sooky la la from people who either weren't there or decided to try and cause trouble.Stop over officiating games and let the game be about the players not the refs.The game before had parents told not to call out support for their teams.What a joke,how precious are some of our refs.As usual the minority ruining it for the majority.

Reply #458096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were no bench players involved in the fight only the 10 on the crt at the time both teams bench players never stepped on the crt be careful before running Ur mouth

Reply #458098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bench Players entered the court!!!

Reply #458102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know Wat game u were watching but bench players stayed on the bench

Reply #458103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously not the one you were watching!! So what reason did the refs give for abondoning the game??

Reply #458108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Due to punches been thrown and the pushingvery weak reason but the ref's didn't know how to handle a game like that

Reply #458112 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If punches were thrown why was no one ejected or reported. Get facts straight.

Reply #458118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's something u will have to ask the ref's

Reply #458125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville players can only take their referee complaining from their coaches example...

Reply #458159 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

who was the umpire in charge

Reply #458164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marilynn Dunstall - so blind leading the blind!

Reply #458171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone surprised about the story from anonymous saying the Sturt coach at Pasadena got the ref to change his mind?

Reply #458211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No not surprised how a thread about a Woodville and north game includes an anonymous sook about the big bad sturt coach intimidating and changing the refs call

pathetic inferiority complex anyone

Reply #458338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that you ego coach?

Reply #458341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville had the same problems with woodville, they are all about fights. forestville should have beaten them if it wasnt for their referees. Forestville have a great team this year lel

Reply #458381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

although north are terrible, cant hold them back. woodville should get the W and north should all be banned or life with the punches i saw them throw

Reply #458382 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Was that so called video shot from the grassy Knoll.

Reply #458386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't know Warriors sooked this much?

Reply #458388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are forestville complaining about that? Woodville had 3 players fouled out.. you guys just lost! No elbows or punches were thrown in that game.

Reply #458492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Woodville should merge with Magic and toughen up a bit !!

Reply #458503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make your mind up, 1 minute Woodville r to rough & the next they need to toughen up.

Reply #458589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Woodville go last night? Did they get any tech fouls or players ejected. Were any players on the opposing team racially vilified at that game.

Reply #459063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

woodville lost and 4 out of there 7 players fouled out LOL

Reply #459096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh now we are playing the race card, couldn't see that one coming! Pathetic!

Reply #459105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohh so bury your head in the sand mate. They took on a young Sudanese kid wi walked away then decided to pick on another who stood up for himself. Let's see the outcome from BSA on that !

Reply #459129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the coach who can't teach them at stay in the game?

Reply #459130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Result was changed which put woodville back into the finals

Reply #459462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville would make the finals anyway as they have the head to head on West who are fifth.

Reply #459487 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

what is happening to this game still saying not played and no date for reschedule
with finals this friday when are they playing this game

Reply #459615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bsa have could.it a draw

Reply #459630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Called**

Reply #459632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They haven't called it a draw - They have called it a no match and no points to anyone. This doesn't seem to make any sense when looking at the by-laws. Do they even refer to the by-laws??

Reply #459643 | Report this post

Juno70  
Years ago

I see both teams are in the finals and a chance to meet in the Grand Final on 14 March. Surely this game could be moved to be the undercard to the Wildcats v 36ers bout on the same night.

Reply #459649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Juno70, I bet you a million dollars they don't end up in the GF together.

Reply #459654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great support shown by BSA to the refs and the court supervisor. The by laws make it clear that if the game was abandoned then North should be awarded the win as more than 50% completed. If these officials did something do drastically wrong to have a significant impact on the finals then they should be stood down!!

Reply #459656 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

When did the Woodville v North game get cancelled? It would be pretty poor if the game's result is disregarded when more than 50% had been played.

According to the by-laws if this is the case and North were ahead at the time of the game being abandoned, North should be awarded the win and the finals fixture would be different (1v4, 2v3):

1. North
2. Sturt
3. Norwood
4. Woodville

Assuming >50% of the game had been played it is pretty obvious why BSA have disregarded the by-laws... but can they? BTW this also affects State Champs seeding.

Reply #459659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State champs seeding is established after round 9. This should have no bearing on that

Reply #459661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was just before 3/4 time. I guess it just shows anything goes and By laws are just a suggested way of doing things

Reply #459667 | Report this post

READ IT  
Years ago

I understand 50% of game not completed. But if I read the By Laws correctly there isan out clause that gives Court Supervisor final say on all abandoned games

Reply #459668 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Too right anon (re: state champs), my bad.

@READ IT - I understood the paragraph you're referring to differently: the game officials have final say on whether a game ought to be abandoned (and when this is decided) but not the procedure GIVEN an abandoned game. I believe the rule regarding over/under 50% game time and the recorded score still applies.

"d) The referee, after due consultation with the stadium management and/or the team coaches and/or medical team, whomever is applicable, shall be the sole judge of what constitutes an abandoned game and when this shall occur."

Reply #459676 | Report this post

Over it  
Years ago

Competition Committee has made a call right or wrong we move on. Putting the 2 teams head to head again two weeks on may not have been a clever thing regardless.

Reply #459678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the committee make a decision based on the merits of the incident - or just to avoid a North v Woodville final this week?
Looks like another debacle...

Reply #459680 | Report this post

the prophet  
Years ago

there are a few basketball legalities on the result - yes the by law says > 50 % results stays - but the official score sheet has to reflect that as well - then signed off by refs. also if there is a protest - that needs to be signed on the night.

i m o the draw would not be arranged so they didnt meet again

Reply #459682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well why should North be penalized by missing top spot. If you are worried about the follow up game get the best refs there.

Reply #459688 | Report this post

the prophet  
Years ago

i'd be speaking with arnie rather than flappin on hoops

Reply #459695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not fair a kid got punched from behind either

Reply #459702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can have all the reports they want and have individual players reported etc but that has nothing to do with the by-law relating to abandoning a game which is a decision left to the officials at the time. How can the CC change this when any investigation into player behaviour has not been finalised. They have got this wrong!!

Reply #459722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Note that if the game is a "no result" then West should finish 4th as they have more points than Woodville (27 to 26). In this case finals would be Sturt v West and North v Norwood.

If the result stands when the game was abandoned, Woodville would also be on 27 points, and would finish 4th as they have the head-to-head on West, and North should finish top as they have the head-to-head over Sturt. In this case finals would be North v Woodville and Sturt v Norwood.

At the moment NEITHER of these scenarios is occurring. What is the competitions committee doing? Certainly nothing consistent or following how most interpret the by-laws. And no comment to explain their decisions? It looks like they are trying to sweep it under the carpet, avoid a North-Woodville final, and hope no one looks hard or asks questions.
What a debacle!!!

Reply #459804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incorrect.

The game was called a "no match", as in it never occurred, not a "no result". As a result both North and Woodville only played 12 games and everyone else played 13.

BSA by-laws state that in the case of teams having played different number of games (usually in the case of uneven byes) then the final standings are decided on % of games won.

Woodville 12 games for 7 wins = 58.33%
West 13 games for 7 wins = 53.85%

Reply #459806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then why did the refs tell the teams that North will be awarded the win?

Reply #459820 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

To avoid getting hit?

Reply #459833 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think the basketball community need an explanation on the ruling of this match.Not only to educate,but to also explain their reasoning behind this decision, and how any bi-laws were applied ,or not,to the decision.
If this hasn't been decided by any ruling,then a new bi-law must be created and sent to all ,and a full explanation into this particular decision posted without naming players,just clubs?

Reply #459851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id say the only reason the umpires said north would be awarded the points is because they had no control over the game nor any idea what they were doing.
BSA's decision has been finalised. If you're going to protest about 50% of the match being played to award North the points then you could also protest the players throwing punches to be suspended for a number of games.

Reply #459867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These are two seperate issues. One is the conduct of all players including those from the woodville bench who entered the court. The second is the ludicrous decision of BSA not to support the action taken by the ref and to now adhere to By-Laws

Reply #459868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^not adhere to

Reply #459869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So judging by the anon response it looks like they've done all they can to just avoid a North-Woodville game - normal protocols be damned.
Reality is if this is not explained to the masses the committee should be disbanded. Totally inept.

Reply #459940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754