Anonymous
Years ago

A question for Paul re Luke Nevill?

I thought Paul May know the answer to this question.

Luke Nevill appears to be playing very well in China.

How good is the league he is playing in though?

Comparable to the NBL? Better?

Topic #33737 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Worse than the NBL.. Great money though!

Reply #457994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought that might be the case. Is it decent quality though? Just trying to gage how well Nevill is playing, considering the World Cup coming up

Reply #457995 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Any chance he comes back to NBL?

Reply #457996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill is playing in Taiwan not China.

The standard in Taiwan? Pretty crook.

Reply #457997 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Isn't he playing in Taiwan's Super Basketball League for the 'Taiwan Mobile Clouded Leopards'?

I wouldn't have thought the competition would come close to rivaling the NBL's there, nor the money - although I'm happy to be contradicted if wrong.

The Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) on the other hand, is at Nat described.

Reply #457998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for someone to give the OP a history lesson on the Nationalists and Communists and the resulting differences between Taiwan and China.

Like PlaymakerMo, I wouldn't anticipate the money being that good there either.

Reply #458020 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Taiwanese league used to have a max salary of US$10K per month, but I believe they got rid of that this season, so Nevill's money is prob more than that but I highly doubt it is in China proportions.

They also had a 205cm import height limit, but that's obviously gone too!

As for standard, they play 48 minute games so it is obviously much better than the NBL.

Reply #458026 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Would Nevill be on anyone's list as a replacement for DJ should he get an offer to play in Europe? Nev isn't exactly a mug and did play for the Boomers in last years Oceania Championship against the Tall Blacks.

Now that would be interesting, having a 7'2" starting centre (Nevill), and a 7'1" backup (Schenscher). It would give Adelaide possibly the tallest centre combination in NBL history. Right now we're not far off that stat as DJ is 6'11 1/2".

Reply #458041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go get Sam Harris.

Reply #458046 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Nevill is underrated in this league and has never played a for a coach that knew anything about playing through a big man.

Reply #458050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I certainly wouldn't call Nevill underrated, overrated might be more exact. He's only averaged more than 5 boards a game once in his NBL career and that was in his first season.

12.2p & 7.4r with Melbourne in 2010/11

9.5p & 4.9r with Perth in 2011/12

13.2p & 4.9r with Townsville in 2012/13

Al Westover knew a little bit about playing through a bag man i.e. two championships with Chris Anstey.

Reply #458053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*big man

Reply #458054 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Using Chris Anstey in the shuffle is a lot different to using an interior target like Nevill.

As a comparison, Nevill has averaged 10r per 40mins in his NBL career, this season AJ Ogilvy and Luke Schenscher are averaging 14r per 40mins, Alex Pledger 12, Tom Jervis 12, Matt Burston 11, Scott Morrison 10, Larry Davidson 10 and Daniel Johnson 9.

Reply #458061 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I've always though Nevill's rebounding numbers are soft especially for a 7'2" guy in the NBL. I still see him as productive at NBL level and with more teams I could see him back

Reply #458069 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Height is really only one aspect of rebounding though, Roy Hibbert ranks 34th in the NBA.

He and Nevill's comparative lack of mobility means theyre probably only going to get a board in their area, where more mobile athletic guys can track them on both sides of the ring, especially if their centre is creating space with a good box out.

Reply #458070 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

The only reason his playing in Taiwan is the better money, terrible competition compared to NBL.

Reply #458158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to see him return to the NBL and I'd welcome Khazzouh back in a heartbeat too.

Khazzouh in Townsville would instantly make them better if they can find some money + whatever they are paying Hinder.

I've always thought Nevill would be the perfect interior threat for Wollongong as he is reliable around the basket and there are certainly worse rim protectors in this league currently.

Both would/should be starting in NBL

Reply #458187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill can shoot better than many big men.

Reply #458241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's about all he can do better than some other big men.

Reply #458242 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Hes an underrated rim protector and pick and roll defender for his size as well.

Reply #458298 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754