ABL Media
Years ago

ABL 2014

Well with a week to go till the Preseason Carnival and no signs of any Information flowing through from BSA
What do people know out there as far as Coaches, Imports, Player movements, Upcoming rookies, Players to watch, Sixers and lightning players playing in what teams, any old players coming out of retirement and any other rumour mongering?
Come on Ladies and Gents with 1 week to go then another 2 till the real season starts, lets create some interest and stir some old rivalries :)

Topic #33765 | Report this topic

WW  
Years ago

As mentioned in a previous thread, Woodville have an import named Alex Starling and 36ers development player Dan Sims.

Starling has an interesting background. Got recruited by Sydney Swans a few years ago and was playing footy for Frankston last year. Has had two years off from Basketball.

Reply #458581 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

So any news about 6ers players? Apparently Creek and Cadee are off. Petrie going back to North? Gibson at Forestville? Any other 6ers landing anywhere local?

Reply #458677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt women losing players left right and centre

Reply #459426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is that?

Reply #459434 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Tess Madgen not playing for Mavs!

Reply #459463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or Alex Wilson , no import at Centrals, have heard the sturt stories as well

Reply #459489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville? Read Thompson staying in Qld, what about Newley?

Reply #459496 | Report this post

Caller 55  
Years ago

Apples is back !!

Reply #459529 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Please do not tease us like that......

Reply #459531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious???? Couldn't stand the controversy again!! Who does fville have this year, anyone new?

Reply #459539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

she is back

Reply #459545 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

playing invisible all year to qualify and materialising in solid form to play finals?

Reply #459551 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think it's great to have that level of talent playing in the ABL. Emphasis on playing. The controversy was over officials putting her name down on the scoresheet when she wasn't even in the state! Let's not see that again.

Reply #459555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mia Newley staying in Qld as well. Playing for Townsville in the QBL.

Reply #459557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the likely delay of the NBL season finish due to finals and the earlier start to the ABL season doesn't that make a mockery of the qualifying games for 36ers players. It could be as low as four games! How is this of any benefit to the ABL system - if anything just a further drain on club cash for no real benefit to the development if emerging ABL players. Surely this needs to be revisited!

Reply #459561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women, roumors

Woodville - American
South - American
Southern - American

Reply #459563 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

South's American very good. Tall and very athletic. Played in reserves and hit 32 points

Reply #459590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that last night when they forfeited a final?

Reply #459591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any names for the American imports?

Reply #459604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There seemed to be a lot of forfeits during this off season. I think Norwood forfeited last week in the reserves women and noticed other teams like Eastern and West had previously also.

Reply #459624 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

re south;they ran out of qualified players one overseas one retired due to injury one pregnant one left for another club ment only four players

Reply #459627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure they would have played if it were possible. Encouraging seeing them up there though.

Reply #459631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the coach not interested in developing junior players should have played a few during the season to stop this sort of shambles, I am sure the team that finished 5th had qualified enough players

Reply #459639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many teams forfeited during the winter season. And it looks as though from what I read above it couldn't be avoided. Although, I am sure the above comment is from someone who knows all there is to know about most things.

Reply #459642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played with 6 most weeks! Amatuers

Reply #459644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As did a number of teams I noticed. Its what they call the silly season and I don't think most teams take it too seriously or suit full squads.

Reply #459646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many players do they have now one of them has gone to north? Has a ABA game ever been forfeited it might happen this year

Reply #459716 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

They definately have enough players to field an ABA Team.

Reply #459753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who went to north?

Reply #459782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sophie Byrne by the looks

Reply #459854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at current team lists

Women's ladder

Norwood
North
Forrestville
Woodville
Southern

West
Sturt
South
Mavs
Centrals

Men's
West
Forrestville
Woodville
Centrals
Southern

North
Sturt
Norwood
South
Mavs

Reply #459898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Current team lists or last years team list? No Johnson or Cadee so wondering how West will still finish top?

Reply #459915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Todd Matthews back for Norwood. No way they finish that low.

Reply #459916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It must be wrong lists. Southern women higher than Sturt??

Reply #459923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women

Norwood
North
Forestville
Sturt

Mavs
Woodville
South
Southern
West
Centrals

Reply #460010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either way i think a fairly close top to second to bottom comp for the Women this year

Reply #460011 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

In the women's comp Norwood will be the ones to beat. Forestville and North will be tough, but the other 7 teams all have good chances if they make the most of their opportunities. Too tough to call.

Looking at the team lists there are a few young teams in the competition and so these should be the ones who improve over the course of the season.

I would expect that all coaches will be tested this year with development being the key. A lot of games could go either way, so it's all about confidence and the ability to work together as a team.

In the men's comp, I think the big news is Brett Maher at the helm of the Sabres. A stepping stone to bigger things?

For those predicting Ladder positions, from ABL 2013:

Men:
West (16/2)
Woodville (15/3)
Forestville (12/6)
Centrals (11/7)
North (10/8)
Sturt (9/9)
Southern (8/10)
Norwood (6/12)
South (2/16)
Mavs (1/17)

Women:
Norwood (18/-)
North (13/5)
Sturt (13/5)
Forestville (12/6)
Mavs (11/7)
Woodville (8/10)
West (7/11)
Southern (5/13)
South (2/16)
Centrals (1/17)

I guess the big question is whether the squad/coach changes at each club will lift or detract from last year's performance.

Reply #460015 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

I've been searching but can't find the team lists for 2014. Where can you see them?

Reply #460017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go into each team on the fixture brings up the registered players

Reply #460022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those lists are not correct or complete

Reply #460025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scrren and Borego (sp?) at Forestville will make a huge difference. Wouldn't be surprised to see the two most expensive teams play off in the GF

Reply #460033 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

#022 Thanks, that's where I went but I also thought that these lists weren't completely accurate

Reply #460036 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:40 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754