Moneyballer
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy- Would he leave the Kings

When the Kings signed AJ it was supposed to be a 1 year loan so other Euro teams would see his growth as a player but with Sam Young on the team and Sanders leaving his numbers have plummeted. Would AJ leave the Kings for another NBL team. I think he will especially if Young sticks around.

Topic #33797 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

No one could possibly no that, but him and his agent at this point. I highly doubt Young stays in this league.

Reply #459179 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Whether it's with the Kings or someone else I'd love to see him stay in the NBL.

Reply #459193 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

AJ won't be in nbl next year.

Reply #459210 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Sydney is home so if he's going to leave to play elsewhere it might as well be in Europe where he'd be payed more. Wollongong might be a chance but I doubt they could afford him.

Reply #459220 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I think Sydney or Europe for Ogilvy

Reply #459222 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

i'm concerned DJ will leave the NBL as well, big shame :(

Reply #459282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ is going, he hates the crap he cops from 6ers Fan.

Reply #459283 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Would they be the fans that have the audacity to expect him to play at both ends of the court.

Reply #459292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the same ones that are happy for him to drop 28 , but will turn on him when the team gets beat in the play offs.

Reply #459301 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha!

a) Those one's that expect him to play both ends of the court?

b) Yes, those shit fans with unrealistic expectations...

Reply #459302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I'm a fan of AJ's and I hope he sticks around, at worse he knows what the NBL is like and communicate to Aussies abroad and also come back if Euro falls through or they act European and forget/fail to pay him!

As for DJ, I'm not kicking him out either, he is quality and we only have 4 absolute quality local centres in this league so to lose 2 and rely on Knight and Pledger to be our best bigs with nothing of substance replaced could make useless tall Americans think Australia is lucrative... No disrespect or Lazza, Jervis, Schenscher or Burston. But we need superstar centres in this league

Reply #459317 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I don't necessarily agree that we need superstar centres in this league, but it would be nice to have the odd superstar player. And until they start averaging double doubles (ie show some consistency) I wouldn't be calling them superstars.

Reply #459358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Averaging a double double is not that common in 40 minute games.

Reply #459361 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I agree it's tougher in a 40 min game to get big numbers but my point is more about the lack of consistency NBL players have, one week they can hit 25 then the next go for 4.

Reply #459364 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think the remaining six games will be a big decider... over the last few rounds he's looking more and more disgruntled and it's effecting his game...

I think it was more coming back to Sydney to work on his game more than coming back to the NBL, so like above have said, I think it would be either at the Kings (management/coach decisions pending) or over in Europe...

His stock was supposed to get better, but without a reliable outside shot and his numbers suffering as the season has gone on (even though still very good most of the time!) I think it might have even dropped a bit... We will see how he goes with the addition of Sanders, but it's a weird situation... If he plays like a beast this season, he's going to leave for a better Euro gig... He doesn't play well, he'll get shit off with the situation and leave anyways...

I think it's really up to Management... if they can convince him that another season of "keeping the band together" (mostly) and him being the focal point (properly this time) will do him the world of good, either keeping a coach he likes or bringing in someone new *cough*Bevo please*cough*, then he might stay, but even on current form, he should have a selection of Euro offers if he's not too worried about playing time...

If we can keep AJ, Madge, Tommy, add in a great local PG that he might have played with already maybe in juniors(?) *cough*Damo please*cough* and add maybe some more good local big talent (Brandt) to get playing time under him to him his game, then I think that would be a very big get for the Kings...

Reply #459391 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I think it is safet to say that many Sixers fans have swung on DJ and now respecting his game and infact now super impressed.... He has matured and changed his attitude and it shows. obviously the playing group and coaching has had a big influence. Pant pulling which seemed to be a nervous gesture has stopped again, he seems more bonded with the team and going hard both ends. He's young and still lots to learn and work at but he is definitely up there for best in the league. Hope he sticks around another year to see what else he can do here with this team as it has been fantastic for him, if not good luck to him, and look forward to him hitting the court for Australia in the future. I think many believe he will get there.

Reply #459404 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I agree it's tougher in a 40 min game to get big numbers but my point is more about the lack of consistency NBL players have, one week they can hit 25 then the next go for 4."

That's pretty normal in international rules basketball. You have to take what the defence gives, and if theyre keying on one player the team needs to look elsewhere to make the most of it.

Reply #459454 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Expecting bigs to get double doubles each game is like expecting your point guard to average 8 assists a game (2 per 1/4) but sadly the league isn't producing either and that may have to do with deep benches.

I know Knight and Pledger seem injury prone but these 2 can be out and out match winners on their day and Knight was head and shoulders above the best big man in the league last year and deserves league wide respect.

The point I was trying to make is that when you have dominant big men in the league then it makes for a greater league than just having fantastic import point guards or athletic slashers but a league where you feel you need to have quality throughout the team in every position and coming off the bench.

I don't mind being pr

Reply #459536 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

*proven wrong Wilson and its been a fun discussion mate

Reply #459537 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think I get most upset at the lack of consistency because it plays havoc with my dream team!

Reply #459542 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754