cavolo
Years ago

36ers Legends Game

Hey everyone

Didn't anyone get a chance to take a look at the old guys running around prior to the Sixers vs NZ game yesterday?

I would be interested to hear what the game was like, who impressed and who didn't, general summary etc.

Even better if someone can post or link some footage too!

Thanks

Topic #33807 | Report this topic

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

second that....

family comes first... had nieces birthday to attend...

#36ers nation

Reply #459371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB was good for the 36ers. Almost threw down a few reverse dunks, before finally nailing a standard two-hander towards the end.

Gaze, Maher and Copeland can still light it up.

The older guys - Green, Bruton and Pearce, struggled but going alright for their age.

The running gait of most players was very shaky!

Dean Brogan was probably in the best shape (expected), started out a bit shaky with his finishing around the basket before finding his shot.

Reply #459383 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

KB still gets around the court okay could have taken fryes spot

Reply #459461 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The KB and Copes show with cameos from Gaze, Hogey, Cat, Sapper and Davis. Mahersy's game came to the party late but that was perhaps reflective of his less competitve approach to proceedings early (either that or he had a vaccination a few days before gameday).

Potsy, Broges and Williams looked like they had fun while it was great seeing Leroy, CJ senior and Al. Carf looked like he hadn't touch a ball in a long while.

Cat, KB, Bradtke and Copes looked like they have just pulled the pin, they were in great shape. Deano was obviously in great shape too and Potsy may have snuck out to a few Crows preseason sessions. It would come as no surprise if Copes had money on the game, he played to win.

The game was very entertaining and it was great the boys let a passionate Sixer fan take part as well. Great job.

Reply #459505 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Also great to see Iceman too. My fault for leaving off previous post.

Reply #459506 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Carf looked like he hadn't touch a ball in a long while.

Doesn't surprise me, based on his commentary it seems like he's not even interested in basketball anymore.

Reply #459606 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Highlights for me were :

Brooks still has some major game and he and Copeland were by far the best out there, still in good shape and still very mobile and effective. But anyone who thinks Brooks could play again should remember his comeback with Hunter Pirates. That wasn't the best.

Gaze essentially cannot run at all anymore, he looked like he was 90 years old out there. But damn, he can still shoot.

Davis still has an outside shooting touch. It actually looked better in 2014 then it did on 2001.

The older guys (Pearce, Green, Bruton ect..) were really just making up the numbers but it was fun to see them out there again.

A number of the players were mic’d during the game but I couldn’t understand a word any of them said.

Seeing "Maher, Brooks, Cattalini, Sapwell, Davis" on the scoreboard again was a beautiful site. It was perfectly nostalgic. It was a great moment to remember coming to the arena in the 90’s as a teenager and reflecting on those times, reflecting on the faces that populated my world and how many have disappeared throughout the years and coming to terms with the fact that there was so much life ahead of me back then. This caused me to look deep inside and ask myself the tough questions - what kind of man have I become? What would the 1998 me walking through those doors to see Maher and the boys play think about the me that just walked through those doors 5 minutes ago? Would he be proud? Would he be ashamed? And would he even be the best person to judge? In the end I concluded that if I did meet me from 1998, if he walked into the arena and sat down next to me on that Sunday afternoon that I wouldn’t give him any information about the future at all. I wouldn’t change a thing, no matter how good or how bad. The only thing I’d tell him is to make sure he enjoys the next four seasons of Sixers basketball, make sure he cherishes them and under no circumstances tape over the Sixers games he records off the TV. Ever. Oh, and do not hook up with Hayley under any circumstances. Yes – she’s brutally hot but, believe me, it’s not worth it.

Reply #459628 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

oh you know Hayley too?

Reply #459641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditto above

Reply #459658 | Report this post

AllStar Photos  
Years ago

Pics of the game at http://allstarphotos.photoshelter.com/gallery/Adelaide36ers-1998-Championship-Team-vs-NBL-Legends-23-02-2104/G0000EosiO8AMhEY/

Reply #459965 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:19 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754