cubt
Years ago

SA Metro boys

sa metro boys to look out for?

Topic #33813 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely some talented boys but compare them to the NSW and Victorian boys they've got some work to do

Reply #459518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah competitive but not gold stars yet !

Reply #459578 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

who will be in the team?

Reply #459652 | Report this post

idle one  
Years ago

The way its going it'll be whoever is left fit!
There looks to have been politics affecting selections yet again. One day it'll be impartial and talent based!

Reply #459671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the team hasn't been selected yet I'd be interested to know how politics dominated it idle one... oh wait, let me guess, you're kid didn't make it...

Reply #459673 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

what politics was it, seems like the 15 that should be there are there at the moment

Reply #459675 | Report this post

idle one  
Years ago

I don't have anyone eligible for selection. But thats the exact BS response I have come to expect in this state and its why the sport is in the state it is. Coaches in this state are parochial and its not getting the best teams on court and I mean Team not 10 individuals. Watch who goes indi and who knows how to actually run plays sometime!

Reply #459677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with idol one. State coaches who think they are god with no regard to the big picture only their egoes. Sa country is the same. No more bias please on location,club, friends, relatives etc
It has to start from the coach selectors down and until that it is sorted it will go on and on. The people on here who say other wise are most likely just the problems the majority of people are aware of and defend their pathetic decisions to compensate for their faltering egoes and their own failures.

Reply #459679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

idle one - nice deflection but you haven't mentioned how you know politics were made in a team selection which hasn't been made yet?
Or is it that you just have no clue?

Reply #459681 | Report this post

idle one  
Years ago

and now for my Grand Finale. When most of the coaches in this State realise scoring 100 is worthless if you give up 102 the game will improve. In case no one has noticed there are actually 2 ends on a court.
The 15 is full of offence oriented players but almost half are barely adequate at the other end.
Sayonara one and all its been a blast. One day hierarchy will change and we'll have something to be proud of again (I hope).

Reply #459683 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I know for a fact that isn't true idle one, they have the best defender in the state in that 15 man squad, and half of the other are perfectly adequate, maybe 2 or 3 are solely offence based

Reply #459685 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

I have been hearing queries from parents at 4 different clubs over squad selection process (with kids in the 15). No one will prove anything but....

Reply #459687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can someone list the squad and there clubs Im curious to see list.

Reply #459699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah if anyone has the squad could they please post

Reply #459700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard all the same whinges before and we will hear it until the end of hte time. Infact I'm sure if you checkout any basketball forum around australia it will be almost identical in the whinges as to why kids haven't made it. Normally from parents living through their kids, because they haven't achieved much in life or sport themselves. At the end of the day if the coaches have made selections on dodgy premise their results will speak for themselves.

Reply #459705 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Squad is as follows:
Brent Hank (centrals)
Marco Bancevic (Southern tigers)
Brad Ficken (southern Tigers)
Aaron Humphries (Southern Tigers)
Luke Surmon (Norwood)
Jackson Frisbee Smith (Norwood)
Cale Matthews (sturt)
Nik Fassos (Sturt)
Jacob rigoni (Sturt)
Angus Rodman (sturt)
Xavier OT (sturt)
Madit Daniel (North)
Ngor Daniel (North)
Will Gleeson (West)
Akol Deng (West)

Reply #459739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think you guys may be in trouble this weekend against SAC, they are much bigger

Reply #459743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who's been cut from metro? It appears many are missing from SASI squad

Reply #459767 | Report this post

Oddball  
Years ago

Expect Fassos to play 3 and to have to do a lot of the scoring.

5 I can think of are missing. All SASI squad and final 15 of the U16's squad of 2 years ago
O'Gorman Pontifex, (both injured), Simmons Luna (did not trial) Angley (forcd to choose footy or State)
Near enough to 1/2 the squad are first years.

Wasn't U16 Nationals last year a debacle?

Controversial but: New NITP Head Coach - write off the last squad from the old coach and expose new squad a year earlier for experience?
On htat note I'm rejoining the spectatotrs!

Reply #459788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so idle one - absolutely ZERO evidence of political selections. No wonder you've left the thread after being exposed as a fraud so easily!

Reply #459803 | Report this post

impartial  
Years ago

Hang on firebrand!so many first years from a team that failed. recycled players that failed two years ago? the claims of merit based selection being compromised might have credence.
Anon you sound like you may have a vested interest rather than objective observations???

There may be no real evidence but looking objectively there is enough to sow a seed or two of doubt. Only 10 second years good enough and then we are into 1st years? What does that say about depth? Comp is not THAT BAD is it?

This was supposed to be one of the best skilled year groups in a decade according to many.
One thing no one commented on so far where is Jordan Noble from 2 years ago?

East coast results were hardly inspiring folks. Beating ACT by 10 - That's really a loss!

Reply #459988 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan Noble hahahahahahahahahaha, you can't seriously be up in arms wondering where jordan noble is, he is no saviour.

Beat ACT by 10 but was up convincingly all game.
Beat NSW.
Up in the last Qtr against vic.
improved every game as tournament went on.

they're up there

Reply #459991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country boys are awful! Most are D2 standard at very best! If metro aren't a 20 point better team, we are in big trouble!

Reply #460038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country beat you 2 years ago if I remember correct. They are bigger now and have better shooters. I saw that squad list for metro and laughed, wow where's the good kids gone??

Plus your claiming another country kid.

Reply #460041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus they have the best player in the age group overall. (AUS camp 2012/13)

Reply #460042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro beat Country 2 years ago, Country beat metro last year.

Reply #460060 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

team has been announced

Reply #460407 | Report this post

sleepy  
Years ago

Huge win over Country! 2 pts I believe. If they are awful then Metro is.....

Team selected won't hurt one player to Auscamp just like another moving to ACT a few years back.

Head coach definitely used his priority pick.

Can't see a top 4 finish. Not genuinely big not genuinely quick and no really reliable 3 point shooting option.

Good luck boys. But fail and your reputations are shot.

Reply #460466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please. The reality is that both Metro and Country groups are vastly undersized, and lack the depth of talent of other states in this age group. The names I recognise from both groups are guys who will play hard and make the most of what they have, which is all you can ask really, and I think both coaches are good. But neither will be anywhere near top 4, and if either make top 8 I think they will have done well. Could see them playing each other away for 9-10.

Reply #460647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sleepy, saying 16 and 17 year olds reputations will be shot is a disgrace! These young men (both metro and country) are spending countless hours working hard at the game they love, and deserve better from the couch-critics like yourself.

Reply #460648 | Report this post

Oddball  
Years ago

I love sport, I did the hard work when it was my turn too, even if was some time back.

The truth is if you don't fire at U18 nationals, and you did not at U16 any call ups for higher programs and quality colleges will be limited, we all know that.
My concern is I have seen a number of the named players go missing under pressure regularly over a few years. Against the bigger more talented sides, will they get down and dirty or limp away? That will influence the final standings.

To pull on a Rep jersey used to mean you were prepared to risk life and limb for your colours.
I am just not sure about some of the Metro guys.
Champion teams succeed, because they work for each other, absorb the pain and use it as a spur to greatness. Its not spelt 'Me' its spelt 'We'!
I'm going to remain an interested observer to see how much heart is really there for team and State.

Reply #460908 | Report this post

oldgoat  
Years ago

this ol' timer will be watching too.
This dang fangled trial process these days, what ever happened to actually watching kids play week in week out to work out if they could really play!
Time for more regional tourneys, spit the state in 6
west& east Country zones and 4 Metro Zones and get em to play a regional round robin!

Time for a nap

Reply #460911 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754