Melton Basketball
Years ago

Thoroughbreds Sign 6"5 Forward Anthony Kimble

http://meltonbasketball.com.au/thoroughbreds-sign-anthony-kimble/

---------------------------------------------

The Melton Thoroughbred's march into Big V Division 1 continues with the addition of high-scoring swingman Anthony Kimble.

Kimble joins the Thoroughbreds after playing with the Geelong Supercats in 2013 where he averaged 24 points (44%), 7 rebounds and 3 assists per game.

The 196cm forward brings with him a proven resume, being last season’s second leading scorer in Division One Men, and is driven to help Melton be successful in 2014.

"I’m extremely excited with my opportunity to play with the Thoroughbreds this year." Said Kimble.

“Having played in Division One last season, I know what I’m up against. I know the teams and I know the players. I’m confident that I can help make this team better and we have the players to be a legitimate threat this season.”

Kimble said that while he may be labelled as a scorer, he prides himself on playing defence and winning his match-up every night. “I want to be the best on both ends of the court. Last season I got to play on a lot of the top players in the league and was able to contain them and limit their influence on the game.”

Kimble got in touch with the Thoroughbreds through Supercats teammate Watene, who also made the move to Melton in the off-season. “I played with Boppa (Watene) at Geelong and when he told me he was moving to Melton this year I was immediately interested in following him. I had heard plenty of good things about Melton and how they have been on the rise the past couple years. I’m excited to play here.”

After winning the Division Two Championship in 2013 and being granted promotion to Division One, the Thoroughbreds have been far from content in just making up the numbers, adding multiple players to last year’s roster. Kimble joins a number of other additions including Joel Bellman (Diamond Valley), Matt Hedger (Hume City), Jarryd Watene (Geelong), Matt Jukes (Keilor) and Daniel Kraljevic (Eltham).

First year Head Coach Mick Downie said he was excited about how the team has come together and beleives the 'Breds can be a legitimate contender in 2014. “We’ve recruited quite successfully and got ourselves some good experience and some really good young talent that has experienced playing basketball at a higher level,” Downie said.

“Quite honestly, I’ve put a bit of pressure on myself with the recruiting that I’ve done but I’m relishing that and I would definitely expect us to be in the play-offs, if not being a realistic chance of winning the whole lot. I don’t think that’s beyond expectations. That’s a minimum of what we should be looking at with the squad that we’ve got.”

The Thoroughbreds will be playing in the BigV Pre-Season Tournament on Labour Day Weekend in Frankston (March 8-10) before tipping off their season on March 15 when they host the Sunbury Jets.

2013 Highlights- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqa-supXSQY

Topic #33820 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome

Reply #459619 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

can his nickname be Detective John Kimble?

Reply #459637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he improves his team game and learns to pass he will be an asset.

Reply #459660 | Report this post

Coach Carter  
Years ago

I hope no one else on Melton was planning to shot the ball this season.

Reply #459711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting signing by the #bredlife

Big investment for a club that has only 2 senior mens teams, 5 VJBL boys teams, no senior womens and only 2 VJBL girls teams. In my opinion money could of been better spent developing the junior programs.

Minimum import spend would include

Airfares return - $4,000
VISA applications $500
Housing @ 150 per week for 26 weeks $3,900
Car $2,000
Wage min $500-$600 per week $13,000
Super @ 9% $1,170

Total $24,570 as a bare minumum.

Reply #459765 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

You could buy 4-5 decent Aussies for that.

Reply #459766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Melton are forking out that much.

My club had an import a couple of years ago and all we had to pay was the one way flight and Visa. 2k all up.

They shacked him up with the assistant coach who could take him whenever he needed to go and then he coached and reffed for some pocket money to get him by.

Couldn't have been more than a 4-5k excercise all up and with the hype around the club and the extra door and sponsorship $$ it was likely much less.

Reply #459779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4000 return flights wheres he going greenland

Reply #459783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do not forget:

FIBA License $
Medical Insurance $
BA Fees $
Clearance $

Sundries:
Loss of Bond $
Speeding, Parking & ETag fees $
Physio $

Reply #459787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is definitely not the minimum import spend, some clubs might spend all that but not all.

Reply #459809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're paying your imports parking fines and etag and flying him in first class- you need to fire whoever is doing these deals...

Reply #459843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so who pays the etag when they are gone? Or have you never done this?

Reply #460157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754