Peter
Years ago

Creek to train with Essendon after finals

Mitch Creek will train with Essendon after the 36ers season is finished.

That will be a big blow for Adelaide as he is just starting to show his potential.

Most worrying bit is he is really selling himself as an AFL player in this article, sounds like he is ready to jump codes and has told the club.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-player-mitch-creek-to-train-with-essendon-after-nbl-season/story-fnii09ki-1226838570743

Topic #33827 | Report this topic

Peter  
Years ago

/ live up to his potential

Reply #459814 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Yeah, he's not really hiding his intentions is he. A shame for Adelaide and the NBL but what can you do? Would also be a shame to see him digging holes for 8 hours a day and not playing basketball if it came to that :)

Reply #459815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think him training with Essendon will be a big blow to Adelaide, I'm sure he'd train with the Crows if they provided the opportunity too.

Reply #459816 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I meant a shame for the 36ers, not so much Adelaide the city.

Reply #459819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/2113989/basketballer-mitch-creek-to-train-with-essendon-bombers/?cs=226

Totally different!
Says here he wouldnt think about leaving Basketball for Football.
And says he doesnt care about how much money he earns.
Totally different sides!

Reply #459823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea interesting 2 very different articles, one makes it look like he is ready to jump to the AFL, the other makes it sound as if he would never consider it.

To me what ever he does i wish him well, i hope to see him as a 36er and in the NBL for a long time as i am a massive fan of his and really want the 36ers to unleash him, give him the starting spot and plenty of court time.

But at the same time couldnt blame him if he dd go AFL, it wouldnt be that impossible for him to say get a 3 year $300k per year contract in the AFL next season, especially with the AFL having salary cap provisions for guys coming from other sports, but he would basically have to be MVP level of the NBL to get anything close to that.

Also given he is still only playing less than 20 mins per game, despite playing well, out performing Frye and having the 10th man promoted to the starting 5 ahead of him, i also wouldnt blame him if he was very frustrated with the 36ers/coaches/basketball and ready for a change of scenery/sport to get more opportunity/money whilst he is still young and has plenty of years left in him as a pro athlete.

I hope Creek stays a 36er, as i reckon he could easily be a Saville type franchise guy for the next say 10 years, so i hope the 36ers look after him properly and give him the opportunity he deserves so we dont lose him or atleast do everything we can within reason to reduce the risk of losing him to another team/sport.

At the end of the day if we offer him good court time and the money his form/play warrants in the NBL's economy and he still gets a better offer/decides to go the AFL, then fine, good luck to him, and i can live with that, but i definitely don't want to lose him because we decided to put Teys ahead of him and not really play creek any more court time, despite the fact he is clearly the better player.

All the best Mitch Creek, what ever you decide to do, i am a big fan of yours as a 36er and hope you stick around for many years, but can definitely see how other opportunities could look appealing to you.

Reply #459824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think either article reads like he is ready to jump to football, his quotes make it seem very much like a long shot.

Reply #459825 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If he'd never go to the AFL why would he test the waters and train?

Seems to me like if he goes and isn't up to it he can always say "I wasn't interested" but if they say "Mate here's $600k over 3 years come over" his interest would all of a sudden be sparked.

Reply #459826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no chance he would get anywhere near 200k per year. no chance at all!

Reply #459828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i agree, and the scary thing is clubs like Essendon could offer that money, if not a little more without any problems or huge expectations on Mitch, where he would have the be the star of the NBL to make that type of money playing basketball in Australia.

Will be interested to see what happens, i hope he stays a 36er!

Reply #459829 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

How much would he be on at Adelaide?

Reply #459830 | Report this post

diplo  
Years ago

Firstly, as an untested player, he wouldn't reach a six figure salary in the AFL, even if it was outside the cap, and even if it was Essendon.
Overall though, good luck to him...….but wouldn't it be better if he discussed this post season? I'd like to think he was currently 100% focussed on winning a championship at the moment, and even if this was an off the cuff interview (or 2), it's kind of bad timing.

Reply #459832 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Luxford is on a Rookie contract worth $85k per year and thats not including match payments.

Creek is an established player probably already earning near that from the 6ers, he could easily get $200k, the average this year for AFL players is $270k.

Reply #459834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look at what clubs paid guys like Karmichael Hunt,

given Creek is from country Victoria and sounds as if he has a footy back ground, ie. not a complete stranger to game like Hunt was, is probably taller and more athletic than most in the AFL and they can pay him outside the salary cap, i certainly reckon its not unrealistic a club would take a punt on him at say $200k-300k per year, and that is only a fraction of what Hunt got and Creek is more likely to succeed imo.

Reply #459836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no doubt in my mind that if Creek chose AFL he would earn over $2m throughout his career. He would be lucky to earn half that in the NBL. I think he currently earns around $75k with the Sixers. Brogan would have easily earned that much over his career and has now parlayed this into an AFL coaching role where he is paid more than any other current 36er!

He would easily earn the AFL average wage of $265k. And don't think that Essendon are the only club sniffing around him - other Vic clubs have shown heavy interest and it will likely become a bidding war for his services.

Just think how many other clubs would be interested in a 21yo 6'7 athletic freak with a strong work ethic and professional sporting background.

Reply #459839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would take more than that to get Creek to AFL. He's eying off European basketball deals in the next few years that will be worth much more than that.

He could also be a consistent $150K player at NBL once he develops with a chance to play at the Olympics, so the AFL clubs would have to pony up something pretty impressive.

@Melbourne Boy, players dabbling in other sports in their off-season isn't rare.

Reply #459840 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Not rare, but not a good sign when you have holes in your ball game. Does show signs of wavering at the very least. If you are not considering a switch why waste your development time?

Reply #459841 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

This is true, and it shows interest otherwise they wouldn't bother.

Reply #459842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is not a good enough natural scorer for Europe High level.

Reply #459844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance creek will get 200k in the afl. At best maybe 100k. Creek is also full of pooh. Kick both feet haha.

Reply #459846 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Just tell Creek to give their sports scientists and doctors a wide berth...

Reply #459847 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

For the record, Hunt had junior AFL experience, it was Folau who had never played before, and probably a big reason why he's no longer there and Hunt is.

Reply #459848 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sounds like ,in his eyes,should be no.1 draft pick in the afl?Is his contract up soon? Sounds like someones shopping?

Reply #459849 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Comparing what Creek might earn with what Karmichael Hunt was offered shows a lack of understanding of the ramifications of Hunt's decision to sign with GC.

Reply #459852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon, yes, Creek is a free agent at the end of the season and has signed to play with a SEABL team in Melbourne during the off-season which is when he will be trialling with Essendon's AFL team.

Reply #459855 | Report this post

Reggie  
Years ago

the number 1 AFL draft pick isnt paid triple figures on his initial contract. I can't imagine creek would be paid that much more than a proven footballer.

More likely is he is paid 80k, and offered big bonuses for games played and votes polled.

Reply #459856 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hunt might have gone to Auskick, but he effectively had no background in the game. In his first season at GC playing in the VFL he was generally lost out on the field.

Reply #459858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would be on a base Rookie wage. And play VFL 2s.. Not VFL seniors.

Reply #459860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek has signed to play SEABL in Melbourne so a couple of days a week he is going to go to Essendon and train. If he is any good they might look to offer him a contract but I think this will benefit his basketball. Essendon have just built the best training base in Australia probably outside the AIS so if he were to spend 4 months training there you would think he would come back to the 36er's bigger, better and stronger.
I would much prefer to hear stories about our athelets looking to train harder with different people during the day then sitting around doing nothing and getting into trouble.

Reply #459865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, Hunt played some games of aussie rules footy for his high school team. You're probably thinking of Folau who had no background in the game.

Reply #459866 | Report this post

Reggie  
Years ago

playing a few games in highschool means nothing.

Ordinarily I would agree that creek would be on base wage, but i think for Essendon to lure him away they would have to pay him more than he's getting in the NBL so if it happens look for him to get around the 80 - 100k mark a year on a 2 year deal.

Reply #459870 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I used to like Creek.

Thought he was really down to earth and a good sportsman.

But seems like he has become extremely arrogant/big-headed as of late.

Is this a scare tactic? (In hope that the 36ers will offer him a much bigger contract + starting position).

Then again, based on game time this year, it doesn't seem as though the 36ers will be too fussed if he goes.

Just seems like a guy who isn't willing to pay his dues

Someone tell him about Abercrombie, who had to ride the pine at WSU/Breakers early on. Now the guy earns like $220k - $230k to play ball for a living. Not too bad if you ask me.

I am a first year lawyer earning about $38k.
Have to start somewhere. Creek is acting like he is a vet who is entitled to all this.

Reply #459883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"playing a few games in highschool means nothing."

What it means is you had to have previously shown on the training track you can at least play like knowing how to kick the ball properly, handball, positioning etc

You can't get picked for and play six high school comp games of aussie rules if you can't play.

I remember in high school considering taking up footy again went out to the first open practice for the 1st XVIII & 2nd XVIII tryouts with about 45-50 others and not one of them had no idea how to play or what to do.

Reply #459888 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

lol to those claiming he will earn 200grand.

would be put on a rookie contract ( under the rookie from another code scheme ) last i knew the afl minimum rookie salary was $35000 a season. he might be able to negotiate a bit above that but doubt it would be much higher. would also take him a minimum two seasons before he could even get off the rookie list and onto the main list at absolute best. if everything went well maybe he could demand a $200000+ wage in his 3rd contract , by which stage he would be what? 27? 28? ruckmen finish up at 30 more often than not are are on their last legs playing one year contracts at that stage bar the superstar one in a million freaks.

so if everything went perfectly well ie he adapts well , the club has open spots to play him and give him a chance , he doesnt get any injuries etc he could get two good prime contracts maybe earning $700000- $850000.

to be honest i would rate his chance of becoming a decent level euro import better than him becoming an afl main list player on $200000+. and he would earn plenty more then $8000000 over his euro career too.

i reckon its more likely creek is going to train with essendon for fitness and conditioning reasons then him making the switch. he can go away and do the afl training and maybe they offer him a contract maybe they don't but he will likely be fitter for the off-season work and its a no lose situation for him. he can assess what he wants to do and maybe come back to ball fitter than ever.

Reply #459905 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

their is a difference between knowing what to do on a high school football field and knowing what to do in an afl environment and on an afl football field

Reply #459907 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

damn isaac i wish we could edit our posts. i meant $800000 not 8mil and there not their.

Reply #459908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since I view him as a huge prospect it would be stupid to move.

There is way more money in basketball than aussie rules.

Europe, overseas, ka-ching!

Plus you last longer in basketball.

An opportunity to compete at the Olympics as well.

Reply #459909 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I honestly doubt Mitch will ever do more than train with an AFL club. Ok sure, I don't know what goes on in his mind, but I think its just his way of changing his training routine every now and then. And if one article I've read in the past week is anything to go by, he claims he is really only being polite by listening to their offers. After all, they are doing him a favour by letting him train with them so why shouldn't he at least listen to what they might have to offer.

As far as I know he still has aspirations of becoming a Boomer. He won't be able to do that by switching to the AFL. In fact, playing in the AFL means there isn't much chance of doing anything other than representing a club side. There is no State of Origin any more as clubs are selfish about protecting their players, and as for playing for Australia.....I don't count the International Rules against Ireland as that isn't even Aussie rules, its a hybrid of our game and Gaelic Football.

And seriously, within a few years if he continues developing there is every chance he could earn more money by playing basketball in Europe than he could earn playing footy in the AFL.

Reply #459922 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He is a kid from country Victoria, he has no obligations in bis contract to say he cant train with another code, maybe 6ers shouldve put that in, but he is doing nothing wrong by training with the Bombers! Some fans expect too much from these guys, let the kid be, if he makes it great call and set financially for life. If he crashes, then nothing lost but maybe a itch scratched. Good luck Creeky.

Reply #459925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm one who thinks he would make around $200k+ if he switched, as if the offer wasnt significantly more than his NBL salary, why would he even consider it?

He gets more on an incentive to switch, the AFL clubs can afford it, they can pay it outside the salary cap and lets face it how many guys are there Creeks age or even at all with his combination of size, strength, speed, athleticism.

If they offered him the same/similar or less than his NBL contract he would never do it and why would he? there has to be an incentive and money would be one of the big ones the AFL could offer.

If he isnt going for big bucks why would he go?

Reply #459926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he just likes playing a game and not just watching from the bench!!

Reply #459927 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If this is what he wants then he should go for it. Even if he only stuck with footy a few years he would still only be 25/26 with plenty of time left for a basketball career

Reply #459930 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

didn't wanna go to college, asked marty clake to sign him, or he'd go to afl draft , and all teams wouldda wanted him..underplayed here..whether it's weigh frye teys clarke or wright...sure would be itchy with all that time on the pine

Reply #459932 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Im not even sure Creek is the Mitch with the most potential in the NBL.

Thinking that award might go to Mitch Norton.

Reply #459946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'd be sad to see him lose some of his explosiveness in order to meet the endurance demands of the AFL

Reply #459951 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Perhaps there is more to this than just a football or basketball choice?

The chance to immerse himself during the NBL off season in an environment that will expose him to cutting edge personal training and sports science practices is a great opportunity for anyone with aspirations of being a personal trainer.

Reply #459977 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He had already tweeted that he won't be playing AFL....and that you're all haters.

Reply #459978 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

As we all know, basketball/football careers can have very limited windows of opportunity for some.

Reply #459979 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"paul, Hunt played some games of aussie rules footy for his high school team. You're probably thinking of Folau who had no background in the game."

No, I'm thinking of Hunt, I played against him in his first year. It's a credit to him how far he has come, because he was completely lost in 2010.

Reply #459992 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Creeky is one of those athletes who could pick up a ball or racquet and be good at any sport. (except maybe hammer throw)

Reply #459999 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I agree with Big Ads, I think he might just like be around a professional environment instead of the NBL farce (no offence to 36ers, just offence to the NBL). And it would be nice to be valued by a team (offence to 36ers for not playing him).

Reply #460006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on a minute....

Paul is one of Aussie hoops most knowledgeable guys and plays/played high level Aussie Rules footy.

This is a guy I would love to have a coffee with.

Reply #460012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ask his agent what was asked for remuneration...ridiculous figure

Reply #460052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

creek should just go to the gong and play to his full potential !!

Reply #460062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

watch out for the peptides creek!! yeah went there

Reply #460137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of the comments are very narrow minded on here. You all seem to think AFL is money, money, money.
There are a lot of aspects to choose AFL over basketball.
One is the facilities. World class environments with full time elite professionals.
Two is opportunity. 18 teams with 40 players on the list.
Players association. What sort of medical cover does the NBL offer a player if he gets career ending injury?
Three is corporate support and endorsement opportunities which can help in life after sport.
Four is media opportunities which can also help in life after sport.
Sure a base rookie contract in AFL is not huge, but if you can get in the top 25 in your club wages and match payments rise significantly.
The only reason you would choose basketball is to play overseas, which is the one thing AFL can't match with basketball.

Reply #460266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure I'd call AFL players elite professionals, with so many teams every club has many athletes who are far from elite.

Reply #460267 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

That's absolute crap^

The AFL has the best athletes in the world and many sporting leagues/organisations around the world are coming to the AFL for advice in how to improve their athletes.

Reply #460272 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Reminded me a little of Crows player Taylor Walker in the way that he moved preseason training."Taylor Walker comes from Texas." I heard somebody say.

Reply #460755 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754