Anonymous
Years ago

BNSW Metro League Predictions/Banter

Its that time of the year when the countries most dominant junior competition hits the floor running, the BNSW Metro League.
Let us all join together to throw out some cheeky predictions and get some banter flowing.

My predictions as follows;
18M1=Hills
16M1=Norths
14M1=Norths (by a country mile, strongest U14 team to be seen in a long time)
12M1=Sydney City

18W1=Norths
16W1=Norths
14W1=Norths
12W1=Norths

Word on the street is that the Hills 18M1 team coach, who happens to work the night shift at Willy Wonka's chocolate factory as a Oompa Loompa has been feeding his boys special peptide coated chocolate bars..

Topic #33830 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

watched the 18M1 Coastal Classic Final on the weekend where Hills beat a very impressive Newcastle side by 2 0r 3 points. Hills coach seemed like a bit of a nutter so wouldn't come as a shock...

Reply #459901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suprised to hear you say the Norths 14 boys were the strongest 14s team in a long while - they struggled mightily at Eltham/Dandenong tournament. Unless they were missing a ton of guys, they would be nowhere near the Hills teams of a few years ago...

Reply #459937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely no peptides in my chocolate bars.

Reply #459948 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

12W Hornsby

Reply #459952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The countries most dominat junior competition"

Nice one bahahahaha

Reply #459969 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

12 W Hornsby dominant in both Coastal Classic and Ralph's Café. Comets next best.

14 W/18 W Norths by a mile

Surprised on comment on 14 M as both Bankstown and Hornsby will be strong as well. Was very even comp in this age group at U12s.

U16s Norths are favourites in both but Hornsby are the wildcards based on Classic results.

12M - hard to pick as very few games played between div 1 in preseason were relatively close. Comets have great speed and skill and Hills are always strong in this age group.

Reply #459974 | Report this post

Vesta 72  
Years ago

U16W1 Norths are basically a state team, but Hornsby are definite wildcards. Lead Norths for most of there game at Coastal Classic. Lots of improvement left in them as well.

Reply #460018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The countries most dominant junior competition"
um.... bahahahahaha!!

Since forever, the most dominant junior competition in the country is and always will be Vic Metro.

You can't argue with statistics. Look up the number of national junior titles won by VIC vs NSW. I think you will find the result will confirm absolute dominance.

A prime example of a New South Welshman/woman at their ignorant best.

Reply #460028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im from nsw and I have to agree.

Vic definitely stronger.

NSW metro league is of ok standard but too often dominated by 1 club in each age bracket.

Reply #460058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Suprised to hear you say the Norths 14 boys were the strongest 14s team in a long while - they struggled mightily at Eltham/Dandenong tournament. Unless they were missing a ton of guys, they would be nowhere near the Hills teams of a few years ago..."

@Anonymous, they essentially took a Division 2 team. They're current Division 1 rosters' average height is 6ft and they're nasty in the open court. The teams style of play is often compared to Mike D'antoni's run and gun style of play.

Reply #460071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18M1=Norths
16M1=Bankstown
14M1=Bankstown
12M1=Hills

18W1=Norths
16W1=Norths
14W1=Norths
12W1=Norths

Reply #460092 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm from NSW as well, but agree that Vic is stronger. Simply more depth of talent with little difference between starting 5 and the bench. Not so for most NSW teams.

Also, agree with Mick 12W Hornsby. Actually Hornsby might surprise a few people this season.

Reply #460095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance Norths (or anyone) will come close to beating Hills in 18M1. Struggled at coastal classics

Reply #460123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
I think you'll find that once their 6ft11 centre who has moved over to Sydney from the US with his family for work, they will be the firm favourites.

Reply #460125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Edit^^^
I think you'll find that once their 6ft11' african american centre starts playing who recently arrived from the US with his family for work starts playing, they will be the firm favourites to clean sweep the league.
He was sighted at Norths throwing down some hammer dunks as well as getting some 3 balls up.*

Reply #460127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doubt it - one player doesn't make a team. have coached against that Hills team and they have incredible depth, far more than the Norths side. they will be hard to beat don't get me wrong, just not up to Hills standard. Could change though once the season starts.

Reply #460130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a few questions.

1 - Are norths that strong on the girls side? Tipped to win all 4 age groups?

2 - What are they doing to be so good?

Reply #460190 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

They are that good especially the girls. I know last year they had 2 girls teams playing U16 div 1. This year their A team will have state players on the bench.

I think they will win 3, with Hornsby to take out 12W.

Why? They are the biggest, best run, most professional club in the league. They attract the best coaches because they can earn a better income, they have the strongest local comp and development training programs, which then attracts the best players. Simply they have the best 'program'.

All this is great for Norths, but not so good for the league. Some other clubs are doing their best with what they have to step up.

Reply #460196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths poach plain and simple.

Yes greatyly run. But they poach.

Reply #460212 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

I was not sure of poaching, so I resisted making the accusation.Whether they attract, or poach, probably depends on which side of the fence your on.

I am not so sure of the benefits to the individual player in many cases. What is the point of being a good player playing off the bench when your side is up by 20? Not sure this is the best development.

Reply #460220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths poach. Whether you agree with it or not is a different story but its a fact that they poach players.

Reply #460223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly

they have great staff. Lono is brilliant.

As for the rest of the coaches.. to call them the best is a stretch. They certainly have great players who make them look good.

Reply #460233 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Yeah, fair call. It was a stretch...

Reply #460235 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

I don't think it is a case of physically approaching players (I would hope not anyway) I think it is more a case of the better players wanting to play for a successful program. The last few years Norths have breed a culture of winning and this entices the young talented studs of other teams to venture across the bridge. Unfortunately it affects the standard of the entire competition where everyone else is playing off for second. The competition therefore becomes boring and predictable. I'd love to see the talented studs from other teams staying put and working hard on their game and building a culture and programs to rival them, not because I dislike Norths I simply like watching a competitive game every once in a while.

Reply #460357 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Mick - I agree it is more a case of talented players being drawn to the best club. Success breeds success.

For the good of the competition, we need to do our best to foster a culture of loyalty to the club that develops the talent, but also the other clubs need to step up their programs to give a talented player a reason to stay.

Loved seeing Hornsby U16W give Norths a scare at coastal classic. They have some talent in that team.

Reply #460449 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

I've heard that the Hornsby 16W gave Norths a run. Love to hear that kind of stuff. With the 12W being at Hornsby also looking the goods its great to see another association step up.

Reply #460479 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Yeah, haven't seen much of the U12W, but they are getting the results so must be a good group of kids.

Hornsby U16W surprised. A few of the kids in that group must be working hard on their games, especially defence as they kept them under 50. I haven't seen the full set of results but I don’t think anybody else got close to this with the other games I seen Norths were racking up 80, or even 90. The Norths group were visibly relieved at fulltime.

I also don't hate Norths, they seem to be a professional club doing a good job, but i did enjoy the first 3 qrts of that game... Great to see talented kids playing well without being intimidated, just for the love of it.

Reply #460486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know of coaches who overtly approach players

Reply #460487 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Well that's disappointing. Still don't understand the logic in most cases. I know a good kid playing div 1 who went to Norths, who put her in their div 3 side! What is the point of that.

Reply #460488 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Re improvement at Hornsby, I know Shannon Seebohm and others are doing some good work there with the girls.

Reply #460490 | Report this post

SepInRed  
Years ago

What rubbish, "I know of coaches overtly approach players".
You don't know squat.

Reply #460816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Settle down. Wether Norths attract or poach is not the point being made by the majority of posts on this thread. The fact is they have a larger talent pool than the other associations, and the other associations need to step up...and it is good to see some are...

Reply #460856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths have the the advantage of having a large number of private schools in their basin. It makes a difference.

Reply #460886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair point regarding kids who start playing with Norths, but it doesn't explain the ones who go to Norths from other associations.

Reply #460892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a kid changes schools into a school in the Norths area it makes logistical sense for them to play there, especially given the nightmare that is travelling across Sydney.

Also, as with most sports, parents will take their kids towards successful programs.

Reply #460899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree...

As Ceres 43 stated earlier, success breeds success.

Reply #460912 | Report this post

Titan 62  
Years ago

Norths as favorites for U16 boys is a joke. Bankstown have the players and the coach. Sam has a wealth of experience and will no doubt wipe the floor with Norths. They didn't even finish top 4 in U14s.

If you look at Norths player for player you have maybe 2-3 good players where as Bankstown would go about 6-7 deep. Anyway, the season gets underway this weekend and we will soon find out.

Reply #461042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths 18M are clearly morning people scheduling their game against Hills at 8:30 in the morning.

Reply #461100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths 18M won't come close to Hills.

Reply #461103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bankstown U16M with Sam as the coach, i would rate them favorites. I also think Hills will take out U18M.

18M1=Hills
16M1=Bankstown
14M1=Bankstown
12M1=Hills

18W1=Norths
16W1=Norths (with Hornsby wildcards)
14W1=Norths
12W1=Hornsby

Reply #461122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the 18M I believe Hills will take it out. Experience counts however Comets/Bankstown (with Cadee coaching) could be the other dark horse.

16W Norths will easily win. Their program is currently too strong. There 16W 2 team could probably win the div 1 comp.

16M Without a doubt Bankstown will win. They won last year if I am correct and there team was not even that good. With Sam as coach I expect them also to wipe the floor. Penrith and Hornsby may come close because they have just as much talent, just maybe not the coaches.

14M Will be a close competition - Norths look pretty good but Bankstown have the best player in the age group.

18W and 14W Norths will win both. Good coaches, great program and they may poach but they still attract decent players due to Lono and their successful recent history. But that begs the question do they develop individually better at Norths than other clubs. Coming out and winning by 50 every game may hinder their work ethic and drive to win. Because we all know your drive to win heightens when you lose.

Good Luck to all teams this weekend.

Reply #461268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did everyone go in the first round. Any upsets?

18M1=Hills
16M1=Bankstown
14M1=Bankstown
12M1=Hills

18W1=Norths
16W1=Norths
14W1=Norths
12W1=Hornsby

Reply #461859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths got up over Hills by 2 points in 18M1 - not sure if you could call it an upset but I didn't expect it. Anyone get to see that game?

Reply #461862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hills couldn't defend Norths centre for shit.
They also shot alot of 3-balls that didn't drop.

Reply #461873 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754