bethdavis10
Years ago

Josh Bond - cancer survivor

Most of you would remember the story of South Australian basketball player Josh Bond, who was forced to leave his US College in emergency circumstances after being diagnosed with testicular cancer.

Since then Josh has been declared cancer free - and his attitude and fighting spirit are an inspiration, as you can read about in Boti Nagy's article here:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/josh-bond-has-been-to-hell-and-back-in-cancer-battle-but-where-theres-a-will-he-can-find-the-way/story-fni6uo1m-1226834838054

Since the updated article, recently founded charity organisation the Still I Rise Foundation has committed to funding a return airfare for Josh to go back to the USA and see his college teammates at their graduation. We are currently seeking further community support and donations to assist in raising funds to be able to also provide his mother with the funds for a return airfare, as well as any additional expenses such as accommodation and food.

A dedicated Facebook page has been set up to track progress which you can find here - https://www.facebook.com/joshbondcancersurvivor

And a direct online donation link for community support can be found here - http://www.givenow.com.au/stillirisefoundation

All donations are completely tax deductible and receipts are emailed immediately when donating online.

The basketball community was extremely supportive of Josh when he was first diagnosed and going through is treatment, it would be great to see us rally again to support this young man and his family in seeing out his dream of getting back to his college teammates.

I encourage you to jump on Facebook and like and share the page as much as possible, we want this to grow legs quickly and go viral if possible, as Josh's tentative departure date is April 13th we only have a small window of opportunity!

Topic #33831 | Report this topic

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Good to hear Josh is doing well and cancer free.

I will definitely be donating what I can. thanks for the write up.

Reply #459903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can get return flights from east coast of Aus to west coast of US for $1300. Like the Air NZ special that was running recently. Add a little bit for incidentals and it isn't a large sum. Why fundraise for a couple of grand? Odd.

Reply #459911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh is in full remission mode!

Reply #459917 | Report this post

Necro  
Years ago

He is living it up at Hamilton Island right now haha..
Good one him!

Reply #459933 | Report this post

traread  
Years ago

Whoever the first Anonymous poster is... Wow, just wow... Find yourself a mirror & have a good hard look at yourself.

Reply #459934 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Anon #459911 - flights to Iowa (which is the state Josh attended college before having to leave) are roughly $2500 return. As mentioned, Still I Rise have committed to funding this for Josh, thanks largely to a fundraiser that was held for the foundation itself last week, however being a relatively new charity without corporate support we do not have the means to fund any extra airfares or expenses.

Ideally we would love to see Josh's mum go with him and potentially girflriend as well - we are in discussions with several businesses and clubs about getting further support for this, but of course any donations from community support to go towards the expense of the trip are invited and welcomed. The idea of this is to raise awareness, start a social media campaign, and hopefully get one of the big airlines on board to come to the party with some donations of airfares.

Anon - #459931 - make an offer, maybe we can start a bidding war for a Bachelorette Auction! :)

Reply #459935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$13.78 opening bid

Reply #459942 | Report this post

Joycefan  
Years ago

$30 and I get to keep your stockings.

Reply #459945 | Report this post

Positive Attitude  
Years ago

The Starlight Foundation have provided the trip to Hamilton Island for Josh & his family.
It's a good-news story about determination to overcome tremendous odds and hard work at rehab by a young man who had it all before him. Let's keep ourselves nice, people.

Reply #459947 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think we need to see a photo before we put in a bid.

Reply #459955 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

This thread is nothing without pictures? :)

All jokes aside, any donations greatly appreciated, all are tax deductible with emailed receipts, and for more info on the Still I Rise Foundation you can visit www.stillirise.com.au

Reply #459957 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Will I rise? Well I'm not going to know until I see the pics.

Reply #459976 | Report this post

$500 minimum bid for BD in the Bachelorette comp

Reply #459982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish uP the bid. Who knows how much. Time will tell... FW

Reply #459985 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754